• ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    about why I ask

The place I work ...its a sinking ship ...
    I have no intentions of staying in this small town if it shutters...
    Does the town survive economically if the business closes?

I’d get out of home ownership while the market is high and rent a place locally month to month if I wasn’t planning on staying out for the long term.
    Lynx Defense

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Owning a rental property can be quite a bit of trouble.

Several friends have had their rent houses trashed out by renters who seemed not to be that type. Then there is taking care of repairs, etc.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I’d get out of home ownership while the market is high and rent a place locally month to month if I wasn’t planning on staying out for the long term.
    I believe it's Burnet if memory serves.

Not sure where he works but that town is definitely not built around one business.

cdb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Livingston, TX
    Wife, kids and I have been full-timing in an RV for around two years. We're in a class-A towing an SUV, but that's a family living on the road all over the country.

If I were single and moving around I'd be getting a used dually sprinter and rigging it out myself.

If I wasn't really planning on traveling a lot and just want to be able to get gone on short notice I'd be looking at a short term rental instead.

Going to be tough to haul a collection around whether it's in a safe or not. Maybe find a small climate-controlled storage unit for whatever you don't need with you for personal protection.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Truck and a fiver behind it gets my vote.

The truck adds a ton of utility that you don’t get with a MoHo...arguably easier to unhitch and go compared to pulling a TOAD.

And if comparing to a Class A...those expensive drivetrains scare me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    There's a ton of youtube videos covering everything about temp and permanent RV living you can think you might want to consider, in depth.

Here's a website that covers some favorites on youtube.

Despite circumnavigating the globe twice on my own hook, I still get the wanderlust and spent the best part of my spare time last summer researching at least the possibility of part year RV living traveling around the US.

After all that, and were I to take the plunge, which I still haven't ruled out, plan is to go truck and trailer, fifth wheel, route.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Kinda funny in a sad way...the last place we lived in LA, was 800 square feet.

Our 42’ toy hauler was just slightly smaller, with about 600 square feet of living space LOL

I regret selling that truck and trailer...

1129127310b1535cb622226e3d8b73c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 1129127310b1535cb622226e3d8b73c3.jpg
      1129127310b1535cb622226e3d8b73c3.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 482

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    The town will survive just fine but taking 1/5 the pay i currently get will make me not survive. I make enough to put up with living out here just fine but its the only thing keeping me in the area.

and thanks for the tips and info and web links

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Kinda funny in a sad way...the last place we lived in LA, was 800 square feet.

Our 42’ toy hauler was just slightly smaller, with about 600 square feet of living space LOL

I regret selling that truck and trailer...

View attachment 186337

That's what I'm talking about ...
    I regret I didn't know it was for sale.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Just make sure the air conditioner is adequate.

I recommend the "whisper quiet" A/C or whatever they are called. Makes a lot of difference if you plan to have conversations inside. My current one has it, my previous one did not.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    My travel trailer has overhead ducts for the a/c and works great, but I wanted to save some wear and tear for when we get to travel and use the trailer for camping. I built a wooden frame to put in the living room/kitchen area window and put a large window unit there. It keeps the whole trailer cool and its so much quieter. It's also connected to the wifi so I can turn the temp down from work before I get home.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    One problem I see is my empty gun safe would overload any 19'er and then there is the ammo fort.

My first reloading press was mounted in a 5th wheel toy hauler. I'm in the oil field, and back in the 2000s I spent over 300 days a year in that trailer. Eventually I had a Dillon 550 and 1050, and a 50 gun safe in the back- along with a motorcycle, of course.

I glued a partial sheet of 1/4" plywood to the sid eof the safe facing the drop door on the toy hauler, and wall papered it so the safe looked like a closet or something (to outsiders) when the door was down.

I have also owned a diesel pusher motor home, and for the way I like to travel, and day-to-day living, the 5th wheel is definitely the way to go.

Top Bottom