Gun Zone Deals

If you were allowed by game reg.s to hunt deer with a modern rifle ALL deer season long, whether on public or private property......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    ....would the modern rifle be your only means to harvest deer? Would you otherwise forgo the use of archery equipment, shotguns and muzzle-loaders if there were no restrictions on modern rifles for taking deer? Some people claim to use alternate weapons to get longer deer-taking opportunity but they have no choice because rifles can only be used in designated gun seasons in many jurisdictions nationwide. If the game laws somehow changed to make "gun season" all deer season long, would you then only use a rifle? Or, would you hunt with a bow, shotgun or muzzle-loader anyway just for the "Sam Hill" of it if any of those methods were also permitted all season long?

It's my hunch that the progressive rise in limited gun seasons and restrictions on rifles in certain jurisdictions has compelled many veteran rifle hunters to take up bows, slug guns and muzzle-loaders who would not have done so otherwise. Changes that have spawned less-gun-friendly game laws have forced a rise in archery and muzzle-loading. Certainly a few have taken up muzzle-loading and archery just for kicks but I believe most of those hunters who have gotten into other methods of take have done that purely out of legal necessity.

Certainly many ducks hunters would still toss lead at ducks if it weren't for bans on lead. I believe also there would be many more rifle-only deer hunters if game laws didn't put any dampers on rifle use.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Gun season in Texas is from November to January. Arkansas it is November through mid December. Pennsylvania it is only a couple of weeks( after thanksgiving through mid December.
    I primarily hunt in Texas.
    I do not really concern my self with the intricacies of other states bow, BP, etc special seasons.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Gun season in Texas is from November to January. Arkansas it is November through mid December. Pennsylvania it is only a couple of weeks( after thanksgiving through mid December.
    I do not really concern my self with the intricacies of other states bow, BP, etc special seasons.

Hoji,

Inasmuch as my personal favorite animal to hunt/eat is Axis, which has no closed season, my trusty Model 760 min .300 SAV or .30-06 is all that I need, though I have numerous other means to take game, including the Model 760 in 9.3x62mm.

Note: IF you are willing to drive to Boerne, the next time that we have an Axis feed at The Nature Center, I'll invite you.
    (At the last feed that we had out there, Axis & feral pig was served in a total of 9 different ways, from chili to BBQ to chicken fried steak.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx

I found this table for Tx White Tail from https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...general-regulations/2021_2022_hunting_seasons :

White-tailed Deer
    White-tailed deer season dates
    SeasonZoneDates
    GeneralNorthNov. 6 - Jan. 2
    SouthNov. 6 - Jan. 16
    Youth-onlyNorthOct. 30-31 & Jan. 3-16
    SouthOct. 30-31 & Jan. 3-16
    Special LateNorthJan. 3-16
    SouthJan. 17-30
    Archery252 of 254 countiesOct. 2 - Nov. 5
    Muzzleloader90 of 254 countiesJan. 3-16

Which weapons are allowed for "special late"? It appears as guns are excluded from the month of October entirely.

Muleys are very short for guns:

Mule Deer
    Mule deer season dates
    SeasonZoneDates
    GeneralPanhandleNov. 20 - Dec. 5
    SW PanhandleNov. 20 - Nov. 28
    Trans-PecosNov. 26 - Dec. 12
    Archery59 of 254 countiesOct. 2 - Nov. 5

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Back in 1996, I took a CA Colombian blacktail yearling buck mid-October in B-2 of that state. Guns were allowed in CA Octobers back then. This is a subspecies of the Muley.
    96 deer hunt.jpg

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If you want to hit your limit and are limited to a small acreage, you are best served not turning the deer nocturnal with pressure. Use the bow first to lessen the perceived hunting pressure at the beginning of your harvest, to get a head start, and finish with slugs/bullets to fill the freezer before they wise up.

My freezer ain't that big so I just start with the rifle.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Hoji,

Inasmuch as my personal favorite animal to hunt/eat is Axis, which has no closed season, my trusty Model 760 min .300 SAV or .30-06 is all that I need, though I have numerous other means to take game, including the Model 760 in 9.3x62mm.

Note: IF you are willing to drive to Boerne, the next time that we have an Axis feed at The Nature Center, I'll invite you.
    (At the last feed that we had out there, Axis & feral pig was served in a total of 9 different ways, from chili to BBQ to chicken fried steak.)

yours, satx
    Ohhhhh can I come I got a 308 itching fo so exercising

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    If you want to hit your limit and are limited to a small acreage, you are best served not turning the deer nocturnal with pressure. Use the bow first to lessen the perceived hunting pressure at the beginning of your harvest, to get a head start, and finish with slugs/bullets to fill the freezer before they wise up.

That yearling buck I took was in Oct. in the mid-90's. He was much too young then to be wise to the ways of speeding bullets. The acreage was quite generous on Rourke's ranch in NorCal. Huge deer herds would congregate in his field in the evening. My guide, Mr. Rourke, spotted the white on the nose of my buck in the shadows of the trees before I did. He had hawk eyes, that old man, on that fateful autumn morning. Fateful for my little buck, that is. You got to have the eye of the hunter and not the eye of the dead.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Or just shoot them all at once with a suppressed rifle;)
    93CAA652-4250-4385-98E5-444A24F4208E.jpeg
    And get a bigger freezer
    56A229AD-FF1E-4D6D-BD6C-70F4DA00DF4E.jpeg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I found this table for Tx White Tail from https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...general-regulations/2021_2022_hunting_seasons :

White-tailed Deer
    White-tailed deer season dates
    SeasonZoneDates
    GeneralNorthNov. 6 - Jan. 2
    SouthNov. 6 - Jan. 16
    Youth-onlyNorthOct. 30-31 & Jan. 3-16
    SouthOct. 30-31 & Jan. 3-16
    Special LateNorthJan. 3-16
    SouthJan. 17-30
    Archery252 of 254 countiesOct. 2 - Nov. 5
    Muzzleloader90 of 254 countiesJan. 3-16

Which weapons are allowed for "special late"? It appears as guns are excluded from the month of October entirely.

Muleys are very short for guns:

Mule Deer
    Mule deer season dates
    SeasonZoneDates
    GeneralPanhandleNov. 20 - Dec. 5
    SW PanhandleNov. 20 - Nov. 28
    Trans-PecosNov. 26 - Dec. 12
    Archery59 of 254 countiesOct. 2 - Nov. 5
    Late season is for spikes and does. No restrictions on the firearms you use other than must be center fire and not full auto( although for non game animals there are no restrictions)

festering

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    Hoji, where in Arkansas do you hunt? I recently bought some property in Nevada county, this will be my first year hunting in Arkansas.

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Late season is for spikes and does. No restrictions on the firearms you use other than must be center fire and not full auto( although for non game animals there are no restrictions)

I like only CF rifles for deer and I'm only interested in does. It appears that there might not be many days to lawfully take does for the entirety of deer season anyway. May does only be taken during late season? I'm not yet sure if any does can be taken during the general season. I have some more studying to do so I know the total number of DOE DAYS in Texas. I can just picture myself in a red/black Pendleton wool shirt with a nice ol' Savage lever gun during late season when the weather is coldest and meat spoilage due to warm weather isn't an issue.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    In Bell County, you get 5 deer tags. Max of 2 bucks. You can use whichever tags you want at any time by any legal method you wish.
    I generally prefer does. The meat is more tender and tastes better. Especially the farther in to rut. For bucks, I prefer early archery season only cull bucks. More meat and not as gamey then. Not interested in mounts. Can't eat them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Bastrop County doe is limited to youth only, muzzy, or archery season, plus a four-day doe time during general season (which is new.)

Any antlerless deer taken in Bastrop must be reported within 24 hours.

Top Bottom