Patriot Mobile

If you had to use $10,000 to start a small business, what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • textrader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Houston
    I have ten grand and have been looking to start a business but just have no clue what. I had thought about lawn business myself but I'd rather do something else. I was going to consider learning silver smithing and making silver coins, jewelry, etc. but it isn't very profitable from what I've read and you need some way to prove that it's .999 fine unless you go the sterling silver route.
    Small store or out of your house for that matter that buys scrap precious metals for X% and sells it for Y%.

textrader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Houston
    There is also the currency market to trade. Most liquid of all markets.

Attachments

• fx.jpg
      fx.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 226

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Small store or out of your house for that matter that buys scrap precious metals for X% and sells it for Y%.

Scrap metal purchase/sales as a business are pretty heavily regulated in Texas. Even so, what's the typical margin made on something like that? Enough to generate additional capital on a $10K investment?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Well, I was considering currency trading with the Ruble since Russia''s currency collapsed and then picked a slight momentum again but it's too late for that now. I was considering opening my own shop but I have no clue as to what. I could produce ammo but then other fees and regulations come in and the return on that is minimal. I looked into a Jiffy Lube but they want 150k in liquid assets and I'm not that far into a reserve yet. I considered learning silver smithing cause I think making silver items is cool but it's 10k just for the furnace then you need a way to prove the silver amount in the item. I definitely don't want to deal in a food business and investing in stocks and funds isn't my thing as my IRA does that already. I guess I have a badass reserve if I ever lose my job....

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    How much does it cost to start making .22lr ammo?
    I am guessing $10k wouldn't come close to getting you started. I know you are kidding but even the big boys don't feel like it is worth gearing up to produce more than their current equipment can produce.

Now, selling gun show reloaded .22 may be a worthwhile endeavor............

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I am guessing $10k wouldn't come close to getting you started. I know you are kidding but even the big boys don't feel like it is worth gearing up to produce more than their current equipment can produce.

Now, selling gun show reloaded .22 may be a worthwhile endeavor............

Buy a neck beard and start selling 22

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    The only thing I can think of that 10k would be enough to start is making wood furniture. Could definitely get all the tools and supplies to get it started. I'm not sure how profitable it would really be though. It's something I've considered doing many times.

If I knew a lot about cars, there's a guy down the street from me who has a new car for sale almost every other day. He sells them cheap. I don't know him and haven't talked to him, but I'm guessing he scours craigslist or something and finds cars for cheap with known and easy (to him) to fix issues and fixes them and resells them for profit. He must be making something off of them. They're not classic cars or anything, not the type of stuff people make a hobby of doing just to do.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    With a decent table saw, power miter saw, router, belt sander and orbital sander, a couple of nail guns and compressor and you could custom trim work. Or make things like jewelery boxes, small custom cabinetry or gun cabinets to sell at gun and craft shows. Custom shadow box displays for local trophy shops. Depends on your skill level and dedication. Not a lot of tools really needed, maybe $1000 . Someplace to work about the size of a 2 car garage.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm guessing he scours craigslist or something and finds cars for cheap with known and easy (to him) to fix issues and fixes them and resells them for profit.
    I've done this before and know a guy that does it very regularly. Cash for clunkers made doing this much more difficult and raised used car prices overall, but you can still find quite a few cars that need only something minor fixed and a thorough cleaning to make then a good used car again. Personally I don't think the profit on it is all that great; you end up paying yourself something like $20/hr. I can't imagine trying to do this all legally. The regulations would kill you.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Invest in Lithium or Graphite. Those are the way of the future...Lithium is what the Tesla batteries are currently made of, while Graphite is the root of Graphene and can store much much more energy.

Then again, Graphene has just been shown to be less efficient than a derivative from Hemp that is at least 10x more effiecient.

Regardless...I think the war in Afghanistan was to develop an infrastructure that would give America a solid control over their $10T Lithium deposit.

I watch Lomiko Metals in Canada. Trades under a dime, but they have LOTS of mineral rights and are permitted to drill all over in search of Graphite deposits.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I knew a girl that used to clean gutters on houses. All she had was a pressure washer and a ladder. She charged $80.00 (in the 1990's), $100.00 or more in todays dollars. It took her about 30 minutes to do a house.

She had an incredible amount of repeat business. People would do it yearly, and word of mouth was all she needed to stay very busy.

I don't know of anyone in my neighborhood that offers that type of service, but there are lots of lawn mowers....

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Pitfalls here are not doing real market research and not being able to scale up. A lot of times we think a market is there because ourselves or our small social circle would be interested in the product or service.

I buy my cell phones from this used cell phone shop in town. They seem to do a brisk business online and in person. I suppose their issue if scaling up is labor. 2 brothers run the place and in order to open another location it would be hard to hire and compensate others to know as much and work as hard as the business owners. Could sell franchise rights I suppose.

That is the key. If you can't upscale so your active participation is not required, all you are doing is buying yourself a job with no days off. Been there

Top Bottom