Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've been watching a few survival shows lately and it got me thinking. I packed out a decent bug out bag years ago with a couple basics. However, I've been rethinking my primary blade selection wondering if a chose wisely. As it happens I chose a cold steel kukri I've had around for over a decade. I feel like it's pretty versatile and tough although maybe not the best at anything.

When I'm just rolling around the woods on my 4 wheeler, I keep a small tool bag and a BG parang on the vehicle. It's only a little more bulky than the kukri and has delightful chopping power. Quite handy when I need to clean up a trail. If I need next level power I grab the sawzall.

Anyhow, I feel like either are pretty damn useful but I also like the idea of a full sized machete or katana. Not for riding around but maybe a fits all solution to a bug out pack. I have a few of each but the kukri seemed like the most bang for my weight cost buck which I think is an important factor if travel by foot becomes necessary.

I decided to post a poll with this one hoping the TGT collective of knowledge can influence me one way or the other. I left out axes as I consider them more of a camp item although a small tomahawk could be a badass alternative to the other options. Naturally any one of us would have a multitool and pocket knives a plenty so they're a non factor here.

Feel free to respond to the poll and justify your selection.
    Target Sports

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I voted other. I would go with a bushcraft style knife if looking for a one knife to cover most needs for a knife in a survival situation.

In all honesty, there is no such thing as a one knife that can cover all aspects of uses a person would need a knife for, especially in survival situation. But the bushcraft style knives, probably would IMO come the closest to filling that role for a knife.

Lots of factors i would look at in selecting such a knife. Construction and blade design, blade steel and hardening technique used, handle material, overall size of the knife, ect, ect.

I also think that such a knife is one that has already been chosen, used and a person knows it's strengths and weakness' long before a survival situation comes along that will test the knife's abilities in such a situation. I kind of see it like knowing the gun you carry for self defense being known to work when it's needed and not hoping or praying it does.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I have a nice Gerber machete, but if I could only take one......it would be my SOG tomahawk.....easier to pack/carry and a more efficient fighting weapon (imho) and good all around tool...........However if I were going to be in a jungle.......machete, of course......

thumbnail_20210829_140516_56fae4bc67e2a1eb272b4992e6defb08a227ce95.jpg

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Less than $20 if you look around.
    I keep one in every vehicle, the 4-wheeler, tractor, etc.
    And, no, it's not made by Ronco, but I'm sure Ron Popeil would approve!

It's a budget version of the Woodsman's Pal, which I've always wanted. But, if I had a Woodman's Pal, I wouldn't have one in every vehicle, on the four-wheeler, and on the tractor leaving them out in the elements to rust. Before you claim that I leave my tools out in the elements and abuse them, I do spray them down with WD-40 once every three to four months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-185255~2.png
      Screenshot_20210829-185255~2.png
      16.5 KB · Views: 79

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I'd pick one of my Wetterling hand axxe's. Tomahawk's are neat, I have several, but a 16" or 20" hand axxe is a lot more handy to work with.
    I keep one in both my trucks and atv at all times, and put one in my pack when I'm on foot.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've been watching a few survival shows lately and it got me thinking. I packed out a decent bug out bag years ago with a couple basics. However, I've been rethinking my primary blade selection wondering if a chose wisely. As it happens I chose a cold steel kukri I've had around for over a decade. I feel like it's pretty versatile and tough although maybe not the best at anything.

When I'm just rolling around the woods on my 4 wheeler, I keep a small tool bag and a BG parang on the vehicle. It's only a little more bulky than the kukri and has delightful chopping power. Quite handy when I need to clean up a trail. If I need next level power I grab the sawzall.

Anyhow, I feel like either are pretty damn useful but I also like the idea of a full sized machete or katana. Not for riding around but maybe a fits all solution to a bug out pack. I have a few of each but the kukri seemed like the most bang for my weight cost buck which I think is an important factor if travel by foot becomes necessary.

I decided to post a poll with this one hoping the TGT collective of knowledge can influence me one way or the other. I left out axes as I consider them more of a camp item although a small tomahawk could be a badass alternative to the other options. Naturally any one of us would have a multitool and pocket knives a plenty so they're a non factor here.

Feel free to respond to the poll and justify your selection.
    I think it's hard to go wrong with the kukri for an all purpose blade. Most machetes are too thin. You want something you can baton through wood. The parang looks like a good chopper, but I don't know how thick it is. Also doesn't look like it would be too good at stabbing if need be. If you try to chop wood with a katana, the spirits of dishonored samurai will come to drag you down to hell :laughing:

I generally like blades like this. I prefer the straight spine over a kukri, but they still chop well. I've got two of these Kershaw Outcasts that I've beat hell out of. Also have an Ontario SP45 that has a very similar blade shape. I think I like the SP45 a little better.

5665329848_48f6eabd13_b.jpg

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've seen a bunch of similar bushknife/small machete style knives out there. I'm not opposed but always question durability. I like that yours are field tested. That's the way to go.

I bought a few mora knives and an "ultimate" by Gerber I plan on beating the crap out of soon just to see how a few budget knife options stack up against some on hand equipment. I'm curious to see how easily I can split some wood with them or otherwise punish them a bit.

I also bought an estwing tomahawk because how can I really compare without a lil hands on testing. It's the only one I don't own except as a hatchet or axe. Hard to quantify value but the tomahawks are potential range weapons and that adds some x factor.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Something else you might just take......

Bought these for the Grandkids...

KA-Bar Hobo.....all stainless and about 20 bucks..........

...was going through one of my packs and found mine....

hobo_7e2c1818015fe345ee6c056d8a50755a8e99e7b3.jpg

hobo1_99afa04f141e865e1707736917e1a3ea19fb5e29.jpg

Top Bottom