• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    If constitutional carry does pass in Texas, the Texas License to Carry a Handgun Program will still exist. Here are four reasons why you MAY want to get an LTC or keep yours current.

Texas Law: It's your responsibility to know and understand weapons laws and use of force laws. Whether you intend to get an LTC or not, the LTC class covers laws that are mandatory for anyone that owns and or carries a gun.

Bypass Background Checks: If you have a Texas LTC, purchasing a gun is much quicker and easier through a FFL. There is no wait for a background check to be performed because your background check was completed when you obtained your Texas LTC. A Texas LTC IS AN ALTERNATE NICS PERMIT.

Interstate Travel: There are 36 states that recognize the Texas LTC. This means if you’re into traveling, when you go into one of these other states that shares reciprocity with Texas, you can continue to carry your gun. Remember, while in another state that honors a Texas LTC you must follow their laws!

Interactions with Law Enforcement: When a Texas Peace Officer runs a check of your drivers license or identification card part of the information returned is whether or not you have a Texas LTC. This makes it easy for a police officer to determine that you are legally carrying the gun. Without an LTC and depending on why law enforcement has made contact with you, you may be detained while they conduct a criminal history search (according to a preliminary version of the bill that passed the senate). This search may be conducted to verify you're in lawful possession.

This is just food for thought. I will be maintaining my LTC, Instructor Certificate, and Instructor Insurance. Because I still teach beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses for another organization I’m really not too concerned about losing LTC money, especially after this past year with covid restrictions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I don't disagree, but I do think the volume of students is going to drop. A lot. For now I've put on hold my plans to take the LTC Instructor class. It was just going to be a little side hustle anyway. No big deal. I'm going to see how it all shakes out.

Is your average Joe going to go through the process and the expense? He can read the laws online. Background check avoidance is only useful if you buy a lot of guns. Most people don't travel that much, or get stopped that much. I just don't see most people spending a couple of hundred bucks and the time to get a permit for those peripheral reasons.

Since I already have one, I'll keep mine.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I don't disagree, but I do think the volume of students is going to drop. A lot. For now I've put on hold my plans to take the LTC Instructor class. It was just going to be a little side hustle anyway. No big deal. I'm going to see how it all shakes out.

Is your average Joe going to go through the process and the expense? He can read the laws online. Background check avoidance is only useful if you buy a lot of guns. Most people don't travel that much, or get stopped that much. I just don't see most people spending a couple of hundred bucks and the time to get a permit for those peripheral reasons.

Since I already have one, I'll keep mine.
    Oh, plenty of people travel, a LOT. If they realize that what they've gotten used to locally, is available to them elsewhere when travelling, then they will want to get their LTC.
    Beyond that, if all you want to do is teach a set of government-mandated stuff, I'd suggest your horizons are far too narrow. Learn and teach advanced tactics and speed stuff for reasonable prices and you'll have plenty of interest.

Zach5065

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2020
    Austin
    If constitutional carry does pass in Texas, the Texas License to Carry a Handgun Program will still exist. Here are four reasons why you MAY want to get an LTC or keep yours current.

Texas Law: It's your responsibility to know and understand weapons laws and use of force laws. Whether you intend to get an LTC or not, the LTC class covers laws that are mandatory for anyone that owns and or carries a gun.

Bypass Background Checks: If you have a Texas LTC, purchasing a gun is much quicker and easier through a FFL. There is no wait for a background check to be performed because your background check was completed when you obtained your Texas LTC. A Texas LTC IS AN ALTERNATE NICS PERMIT.

Interstate Travel: There are 36 states that recognize the Texas LTC. This means if you’re into traveling, when you go into one of these other states that shares reciprocity with Texas, you can continue to carry your gun. Remember, while in another state that honors a Texas LTC you must follow their laws!

Interactions with Law Enforcement: When a Texas Peace Officer runs a check of your drivers license or identification card part of the information returned is whether or not you have a Texas LTC. This makes it easy for a police officer to determine that you are legally carrying the gun. Without an LTC and depending on why law enforcement has made contact with you, you may be detained while they conduct a criminal history search (according to a preliminary version of the bill that passed the senate). This search may be conducted to verify you're in lawful possession.

This is just food for thought. I will be maintaining my LTC, Instructor Certificate, and Instructor Insurance. Because I still teach beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses for another organization I’m really not too concerned about losing LTC money, especially after this past year with covid restrictions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Thank you for sharing this!

Asymmetrical

The harmony of the Pen and the Sword
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2018
    Texas
    While I'm keeping my permit current for many of the reasons you stated above, I still think the entire permit scheme is itself an infringement on our enumerated right to keep and bear arms.

The very idea of asking permission to exercise a right is at odds with the concept of it being a right at all, instead of a "privilege" to be doled out by a clerk after you pay your money, sit through the useless classes and hit the paper for your "qualification."

I would like to see the day when we scrap the entire thing and stop asking permission to do things that we were endowed by our creator with the natural right to do in the first place.

Why should the law-abiding bear the burden and expense of "proving ourselves worthy" to clerks or politicians in order to exercise the same rights every criminal gets for free?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not going to merge this into the other threads that have touched on this subject because those threads are mostly about the political process and not the practical reasons to keep an LTC if the legislation passes.

I'm hoping the two subjects won't pollute each other in their respective threads.

Having said that, I'll reiterate another reason to keep your LTC - international travel. I've explained it elsewhere but the short version is that I once planned (No, it didn't happen, damnit!) to attend a pistol match in an eastern European country. While there were mechanisms to bring in pistols without any sort of originating-country licensing, the laws of that country more-or-less assumed that everyone with a gun must come from some place that issues licenses to own guns. While it wasn't strictly necessary, having my CHL and an invitation from the hosting club made the process of getting approvals much smoother.

I'll keep my LTC.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    While I'm keeping my permit current for many of the reasons you stated above, I still think the entire permit scheme is itself an infringement on our enumerated right to keep and bear arms.

The very idea of asking permission to exercise a right is at odds with the concept of it being a right at all, instead of a "privilege" to be doled out by a clerk after you pay your money, sit through the useless classes and hit the paper for your "qualification."

I would like to see the day when we scrap the entire thing and stop asking permission to do things that we were endowed by our creator with the natural right to do in the first place.

Why should the law-abiding bear the burden and expense of "proving ourselves worthy" to clerks or politicians in order to exercise the same rights every criminal gets for free?
    I agree... The LTC holder will have more rights than the non-holder, which means that the non-holder will still not have all the rights they should. Is it really freedom, if there are different levels of it for different people?

I will certainly keep my LTC that I jumped through the hoops for, and for the OP's enumerated advantages in having it.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    If by-passing the NICS check is the main reason for getting a LTC then you are doing for the wrong reason. If it's for making a cop feel safer, that's the wrong reason too.

You get the license so you feel safer.

Now if you already have the license, keep it.

If CC passes I see no reason to get one. I carry so I am and my family are protected.

ETA: Is CC going to get done? I haven't heard since it went back to the House.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If by-passing the NICS check is the main reason for getting a LTC then you are doing for the wrong reason. If it's for making a cop feel safer, that's the wrong reason too.

You get the license so you feel safer.

Now if you already have the license, keep it.

If CC passes I see no reason to get one. I carry so I am and my family are protected.

ETA: Is CC going to get done? I haven't heard since it went back to the House.
    Carry in other states is a reason for those of us who travel to other states.

Top Bottom