Join TexasGunTalk

IDPA Members CONNECT Here

Discussion in 'Training & Competition' started by SIG_Fiend, May 1, 2013.

1. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider Active Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    A43406

2. Slapps74

Slapps74 New Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Marble Falls
    Chris Selepec A807559

3. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    I want to start IDPA soon.

Bought my holster and mag pouch today and got all fan-girl when ten time Women's Champion shooter (cowboy action) and other titles, Randi Rogers was the one who helped my with my phone order from Comp-Tac. I recognized her voice IMMEDIATELY from her "gun girl radio" podcasts. It's really weird to listen to someone's recorded voice that much and then all at once be talking to her in real time!

Randi helped me pick a holster that will for my Glock 26 for now and also accommodate my Glock 34 if I switch to that.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. Domineaux

Domineaux Active Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    I'm a member of Shiloh Tactical Shooters (IDPA) / Bayou City Practical Shooters (USPSA) who have matches on Thursday nights at Shiloh Shooting Range in N/NW Houston.
    First and last Thursday of each month is USPSA, and the rest are IDPA.

Tony ESP Sharpshooter A50050

5. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Where are you located, we could suggest nearby clubs.

6. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    ^^^thank you!

I think I know where to go. I'm actually in Angleton.
    Options are easily Pearland Shooting Club, Greenwood Gun Range, and Area 59.

My kids have shot steel challenge before. I have never shot a match.

13 year old is ready to shoot matches (steel, not IDPA) again after a year absent. We (him, and me too) may shoot a steel match next week at Area 59.

That will help my mindset.

Well, I think I don't have to draw from a holster for centerfire in steel challenge, do I?

Question: is my 511 double ply duty belt suitable for IDPA?

7. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I thought you had to draw from a holster for steel challenge. I could be wrong.

You can tell if the 5.11 works. Draw from it. If you draw easily without any pulling or folding you should be good. If not a stiffer belt is helpful. Beltmen, Galco, COmpTac/Crossbreed all have them, plus there are the true competition belts. There are whole threads about them, and I canot stress a good belt highly enough, especially if you CC.

As an aside we occasionally see youngins running IDPA. You know how you can tell? They are the ones beating the pants off everyone else there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    jeepinbanditrider likes this.
  8. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks!
    I did end up ordering a belt from Comp-Tac, they had an Easter sale.
    I did get to try out the match conditions at Area 59. They let me try: shooting from low ready at a Steel Match, even though a holster is really required. But not a full match as I didn't have all my ammo and mags; I had come there for my kid to shoot, but they let me try. I learned some stuff. Skipped some runs and stages.

I really don't think I can hit those far away targets with my baby Glock anytime soon. Some stages were more appealing than others. Really makes me consider switching to the Glock 34 we have, already.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    I got my gear! It came in the mail last week. The holster fits both of my 9mm glocks. :D
    (I am much poorer now after all this shopping!)
    [​IMG]

10. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    I'm headed out to meet an IDPA team tonight, to check out a match and ask questions.

Not shooting IDPA yet. I did shoot an USPSA style match yesterday at area 59. There was a steel Challenge stage involved in that that I could not hit at all at 18 yards.

I was shooting the Glock 34.

Husband shot the match with me (we shared the 34) and he did fairly well (except for the same Steel Challenge stage part).

These IDPA matches are close (same brand of range in two towns closeby) 20 minutes from the house.

Area 59 not so much. 1 hour drive there.

Excited to find IDPA matches so close to me.