• ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Note this paragraph in the article...
    Now, Idaho recognizes that ALL Americans have the right to carry in our state without a permit. Most states with Constitutional Carry do not have a so-called residency requirement and now Idaho won't either!

Previously, permitless carry was only allowed by residents and active duty military...
    Residents age 18 and older and active military members may carry concealed. Since July 1, 2019 the minimum age for permitless concealed carry within cities is 18. This was a decrease from the previous (July 1, 2016—July 1, 2019) restriction of permitless concealed carry to Idahoans age 21 and older and active military members. Permitless carry will also be expanded to any weapon. Nonresidents still need a permit to carry concealed within city limits. May carry openly without a permit in a vehicle or on foot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Idaho

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Okay, I missed that... so previously it was only for state residents.

Thanks

Currently Wyoming and North Dakota have Constitutuional carry only for their residents. To show residency you have to show them your state DL. It has the date of issue on their DL. So for ND, you have to have your ND DL for at least 1 year. For Wyoming you have to have your WY DL for at least 6 months.

TN has a bill that’s likely to pass soon that will allow constitutional carry for their state Residents only as well.

Now keep in mind too, their are states with very limited Reciprocity and require a license to conceal carry but have permit less open carry. Washington and Oregon both have permitless open carry. Oregon has no reciprocity and requires a LTC to conceal carry. Washington has better reciprocity and also requires a CHL to conceal carry.

It is why I obtained my non-resident Utah LTC, because Washington will not recognize our Texas LTC but will recognize a Utah LTC.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I hope the Texas Constitutional Carry bill gets traction the next legislative session. I'm in 2A limbo myself right now because Texas won't honor my Oregon permit, I cannot obtain a Texas LTC because I don't have residency or a Texas DL yet, so I'm only allowed to carry in a car, or on my property. This is only one of the situations where either forced reciprocity or national Constitutional carry would fix the issue and actually recognize one's 2A right to carry.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    ...I'm in 2A limbo myself right now because Texas won't honor my Oregon permit, I cannot obtain a Texas LTC because I don't have residency or a Texas DL yet, so I'm only allowed to carry in a car, or on my property...

Thought I read that Texas issues 'non resident LTC'. What am I missing?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Texas has reciprocal agreements with certain states. If you have a carry permit from one of the states Texas has repciprocity with you can legally carry in Texas.

This chart indicates which states Texas has a reciprocal agreement with. To my knowledge Texas, nor any other state, can/will issue non-resident permits. You must be thinkin' 'bout fishing/hunting licenses!

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I hope the Texas Constitutional Carry bill gets traction the next legislative session. I'm in 2A limbo myself right now because Texas won't honor my Oregon permit, I cannot obtain a Texas LTC because I don't have residency or a Texas DL yet, so I'm only allowed to carry in a car, or on my property. This is only one of the situations where either forced reciprocity or national Constitutional carry would fix the issue and actually recognize one's 2A right to carry.
    There are other state permits you can get online that texas will recognise. I've been here over a decade and still have my AZ permit. It's cheaper and easier to maintain then getting a texas permit.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    There are other state permits you can get online that texas will recognise. I've been here over a decade and still have my AZ permit. It's cheaper and easier to maintain then getting a texas permit.
    How does that work when purchasing a handgun in Texas? You can use your drivers license as proof of residence and then your AZ permit for the purchase?

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    How does that work when purchasing a handgun in Texas? You can use your drivers license as proof of residence and then your AZ permit for the purchase?
    You cant use an out of state permit to bypass the instant check. Which is stupid but a minor inconvenience to me.

Yes you still need your DL or other acceptable documents for proof of residence.

AZ doesn't list an address or picture on the permit like Texas does anyways. My address connected to my AZ permit is my texas address. Every few years they send me the renewal forms, I send the cash and paperwork and they run the background. Takes about 2 weeks door to door with snail mail to AZ and back.

Oh and AZ DL are good till your 70. Another thing texas could do but I suspect it has more to do with fees than common sense. No state income tax really isnt a big deal after they rape you for everything else from tolls property taxes or the DMV waiting till near death tax.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Thought I read that Texas issues 'non resident LTC'. What am I missing?

in my case I'm not actually an Oregon resident anymore, we've been here in Texas for a month and a half. Thanks to the COVID panic and everything operating at snails pace, I'm in a limbo state as far as certain things are concerned.

I do like candcallen's idea of the AZ permit - I've got to explore that notion more.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    in my case I'm not actually an Oregon resident anymore, we've been here in Texas for a month and a half. Thanks to the COVID panic and everything operating at snails pace, I'm in a limbo state as far as certain things are concerned.

I do like candcallen's idea of the AZ permit - I've got to explore that notion more.
    Residency will be an issue with any permit as it's part of the ID and background. You should be able to satisfy that though with documents depending on the state requirements.

There are a couple federal grey areas when carrying on an out of state permit relating to schools and distance.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    irt out of state permits
    be mindful of their fine print. one i remember will not give u a carry permit if your current state is “shall issue”

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Be careful when carrying in another state. Montana recognizes the Texas TC. However you cannot enter any establishment that serves alcohol while carrying. No exceptions except for Leo's. So a restaurant that serves is a no go, which is different that here is Texas.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Idaho Constitutional Carry?

I thought this was going to be about carrying a potato gun.

References to potatoes has been on their license plate as early as 1928 ("Idaho Potatoes"). "World Famous Potatoes" was first printed on them in 1948–49 and finally "Famous Potatoes" in 1957. I lived there from 84-85.

1600202249916.png

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Texas has reciprocal agreements with certain states. If you have a carry permit from one of the states Texas has repciprocity with you can legally carry in Texas.

This chart indicates which states Texas has a reciprocal agreement with. To my knowledge Texas, nor any other state, can/will issue non-resident permits. You must be thinkin' 'bout fishing/hunting licenses!

I now have a non-resident license for Utah, Maine, Illinois. New Hampshire, Connecticut.

Utah will recognize Texas, but Washington State will not recognize Texas, but will recognize Utah.

Maine, even though it’s a constitutional carry state, it still requires a LTC for state and national parks. They will NOT recognize Texas for the parks.

Illinois does not recognize any states LTC, Minnesota does not recognize Texas either. But will recognize Illinois.

Connecticut, does not recognize any states LTC either.

New Hampshire, is an easy one to get and it offers reciprocity for some states.

because of the political nature, we do not know when and if and how reciprocity between states will change in the future. So the more LTC’s you have the better odds you have of maintaining reciprocity with the greatest number of states.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Man that’s a lot to keep up with. I use the USCCA app to know what states honor my Texas carry lic. I typically travel according to where it’s honored.

Top Bottom