Lynx Defense

I used to think "entrapment" was a lame defense. Used to. (FBI/Whitmer)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I find it rather humorous that the noob wants to paint with the broad brush of generalizations, that all cops are bad! YOU cant trust them! THEY will step on your rights!

What I have learned over the years are a few things. There are bad actors in every career field. Cops, lawyers, doctors, mechanics, car salesmen, plumbers, electricians, and the list goes on and on. I have seen it range from just simple incompetence to out right dishonesty and criminal behavior on their part.

Another thing I learned over the years, the bad actors are the ones that get the bad press and get lots of media exposure, and even more so in recent times because media works at much higher speed than in the past. Things done in years past, only made the local news, now become national or in some cases even international news feeds. So the very few incidents that make the news, spotlight bad behavior, and in many people's minds and perceptions, they tend to think everyone in a certain profession are evil, corrupts, dishonest, and failures at being good people. Sad.

Another thing I learned, that regardless of the career or profession, there are people involved and they were people before they became part of that profession. People are human beings, and burdened by all that baggage that humans carry with them through their daily lives. Humans are not perfect and they make mistakes. People are driven by traits that make us human. And some people can be really bad, and some can be really good.

Cops are human beings. They are a person before they ever put the uniform or badge on. There are good cops, and there are bad cops. Cops are people who can and do make mistakes at times and are not perfect. The number of bad cops, are IMO eclipsed by the sheer number of good cops that just want to do their job the best they can, and to go home safe from their job like anyone else.

I'll trash and talk disapprovingly of any bad cop, but I won't lump them into a group and say all cops are bad people. Simply because I know that is entirely false, and just not realistic.
    Axxe, you are taking way to much offense to what he said.

Cops have a job to do, and talking to them in an official capacity is never a good idea. You have the right to remain silent, even before you are arrested. Most people just don’t exercise it.
    As an ex cop, I’m about as pro police as you will find, but any professional interaction with me will be very polite, and geared towards, are we done now.

Just a thought.
    Guns International

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Axxe, you are taking way to much offense to what he said.

Cops have a job to do, and talking to them in an official capacity is never a good idea. You have the right to remain silent, even before you are arrested. Most people just don’t exercise it.
    As an ex cop, I’m about as pro police as you will find, but any professional interaction with me will be very polite, and geared towards, are we done now.

Just a thought.

I do understand that. I have friends and family that have been in LE and some still serving in LE.

They are just doing a job like anyone else. Cops are people at the end of the day. There are good cops and bad cops.

I just hate for anyone to make such broad generalizations, such as, All cops are bad and will step on your rights. That is wrong IMO.

And in the event I'm dealing with any LE officer acting in their official capacity, yes, I will exercise my rights under the law, but with respect and courtesy to them at the same time.

So yes, in some ways, I am taking a measure of offense at his postings. Probably because I was brought up being around some for a number of years. My uncle spent over 20 years with the Texas DPS. I have a half brother that has spent over 25 years in LE. One of my best friends is a retired DPS officer.

I may not always like the person behind the badge and in the uniform, but I will respect them both for what they represent.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I do understand that. I have friends and family that have been in LE and some still serving in LE.

They are just doing a job like anyone else. Cops are people at the end of the day. There are good cops and bad cops.

I just hate for anyone to make such broad generalizations, such as, All cops are bad and will step on your rights. That is wrong IMO.

And in the event I'm dealing with any LE officer acting in their official capacity, yes, I will exercise my rights under the law, but with respect and courtesy to them at the same time.

So yes, in some ways, I am taking a measure of offense at his postings. Probably because I was brought up being around some for a number of years. My uncle spent over 20 years with the Texas DPS. I have a half brother that has spent over 25 years in LE. One of my best friends is a retired DPS officer.

I may not always like the person behind the badge and in the uniform, but I will respect them both for what they represent.
    I guess my comments have nothing to do with respect or liking them, just reality.
    Law enforcement is driven by the same corporate structure that has ruined most of America. The spreadsheet, and over management. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians if you will. It all varies department to department, but the bottom line is, management wants a way to evaluate the troops. Quota is a dirty word, but, in many places, it’s a reality, by another name.

Cops are people just like everyone else. Picture the people at your place of work, with badges and guns. Just like anywhere else you have ever worked, you will have the real go getters, or suck ups, the go along to get along guys, and the total slug butts, and 15 categories in between those.

Here’s where it gets interesting. Which one just pulled you over?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I guess my comments have nothing to do with respect or liking them, just reality.
    Law enforcement is driven by the same corporate structure that has ruined most of America. The spreadsheet, and over management. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians if you will. It all varies department to department, but the bottom line is, management wants a way to evaluate the troops. Quota is a dirty word, but, in many places, it’s a reality, by another name.

Cops are people just like everyone else. Picture the people at your place of work, with badges and guns. Just like anywhere else you have ever worked, you will have the real go getters, or suck ups, the go along to get along guys, and the total slug butts, and 15 categories in between those.

Here’s where it gets interesting. Which one just pulled you over?

I don't totally disagree with what you are saying, and yes, reality is reality.

One thing I learned many years ago from my father growing up, was that there were three ways to dealing with a problem, or pretty much anything in life for that matter. The right way, the wrong way, or the better way. He told us to always to look for a better way of dealing with things. And yes, I have come across a few asshats wearing a badge and gun. What I do know is, debating legal issues or rights on the side of the road is the wrong way to deal with the asshat. It usually doesn't end well for you. Right way, might be to just suck it up and go on about your business. The better way, is to file a formal complaint against the asshat in question.

But what I am not going to do is judge all LE officers by the actions of one asshat who happens to wearing a badge. That is wrong and unfair.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I don't totally disagree with what you are saying, and yes, reality is reality.

One thing I learned many years ago from my father growing up, was that there were three ways to dealing with a problem, or pretty much anything in life for that matter. The right way, the wrong way, or the better way. He told us to always to look for a better way of dealing with things. And yes, I have come across a few asshats wearing a badge and gun. What I do know is, debating legal issues or rights on the side of the road is the wrong way to deal with the asshat. It usually doesn't end well for you. Right way, might be to just suck it up and go on about your business. The better way, is to file a formal complaint against the asshat in question.

But what I am not going to do is judge all LE officers by the actions of one asshat who happens to wearing a badge. That is wrong and unfair.
    No argument from me. Your dad taught you well.
    My point is cops are people, and as a rule, people are lazy.

An example. You are at the party cove on your favorite lake. Just watch and observe.
    You will have double decker rental boats, filled with college kids, doing keg stands on the upper deck, you will have a familes in a ski boat/pontoon boat, and two guys in a $100K bass boat fishing in a tournament. Who will get stopped everytime? The bass boat. It’s an easy stop, they know they have their shit together. If you stop the party boat with 30 people on board, let’s say 50% are underage. the driver is drunk, hell, they’re all drunk. Now what? You can’t transport that many people in custody, and tow the boat. It’s a paperwork nightmare and you will be filling out paperwork for the next two shifts.

The fisherman get stopped, the officers get to show a contact, (I was doing something LT), and get off with a warning for not having a proper throwable device.

I was stopped 4 times in the same weekend in a 21’ Ranger. Every time I went out in that boat, I knew I would be stopped. Alcohol was never allowed on that boat, period.
    Traded it in on a new pontoon boat. Used it for 8 years, and never got stopped. I forbid anyone from bringing a fishing pole on the boat.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I‘m not bad mouthing cops here, just trying to bring a little perspective into the fold.
    People just need to understand, cops are doing a job, and they are evaluated in similar manners to the rest of us. There is always pressure to do more. Most are truly great people, but, realize, there job is to catch you doing something wrong.

Police serve a very important function in our society, and without them, it would be chaos.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I‘m not bad mouthing cops here, just trying to bring a little perspective into the fold.
    People just need to understand, cops are doing a job, and they are evaluated in similar manners to the rest of us. There is always pressure to do more. Most are truly great people, but, realize, there job is to catch you doing something wrong.

Police serve a very important function in our society, and without them, it would be chaos.

It is a discussion! And you bring a different perspective based on your experiences and being a former LE officer is most assuredly a different perspective than others that haven't been in LE.

Part of the reason I do enjoy @cycleguy2300 and his posts. he is still currently a serving LE officer and offers some great opinions and from his perspective.

Can we start calling you bad names now?

Asking for some friends! The ones that drink Shiner beer! :banana:

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Bringing a different perspective was my goal.
    I loved being a cop and catching bad guys. It just felt good. I was young and fresh out of the Army, and I was making a difference. LMAO! Ok, I was just young and stupid.
    I left at 30 years old, went back to communications, and retired at 55. My buddies that I hired in with are still there, wanting to retire. I realized 25 years ago that there are better ways to make a living.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Axxe, I hope I brought a little perspective to this for you, and didn’t cross any lines with others.

Ive said my piece, which most still serving can’t. Departments have social media police too.

Bottom line is this. Unless you know the cop, do not converse with them. They aren’t your friend, and when they are asking you seemingly harmless questions, you are being worked. Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe, I hope I brought a little perspective to this for you, and didn’t cross any lines with others.

Ive said my piece, which most still serving can’t. Departments have social media police too.

Bottom line is this. Unless you know the cop, do not converse with them. They aren’t your friend, and when they are asking you seemingly harmless questions, you are being worked. Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Yes you did, and I do appreciate your opinions and perspective.

Even though we come at this from different directions, via from different backgrounds and experience, I see we do come to mostly common ground in where we view the bigger picture of this.

Top Bottom