• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    My 01 Cadillac has been down now for over a year with a blown head gasket. Got ripped off by 2 shadetree's and out over a thousand bucks with nothing to show. The first mech worked on it every now and then, and ended up end jail, so I told him not to return and I did get my 500 bucks back. The second mech came out to the house and towed it to what was a "supposed" shop, I referred to his deal in another post, finally went with police a few weeks back to confront him and get my car towed home, (they didn't even care I was going into a obvious confrontation armed, I did tell them my background). They were ready to let my wrecker tow it home until a nosy neighbor called him, and took the phone to one of the officers. He said he was in Bulverde and was headed home, so we had to wait another hour for him, 3 units (two officers and a sgt). He finally shows up screaming bloody murder and telling lies (I had already provided my copy's of the contract to SAPD) so they saw through him really quickly. he claimed he had bought the parts and put it all back together but it didn't run right, so it wasn't finished. The Sgt asked me if the engine looked different than the last time I saw it, being honest, I said it did. At that point I was screwed, so they said I could take it but would have to pay him the remaining 500 bucks, he had been paid 780 up front. There was no way I was going to leave it now, so while I stepped away to call my wife over finances, the Sgt came over to say he had talked the guy into dropping it a little to 300, He kept apologizing because he knew this guy had screwed the job up, oh yeah, the SGT even argued the fact to this ass that 4 months WAS unreasonable, but, me saying that something was different tied his hands. ANYWAYS... now I have this beautiful car with a bad motor, how do you determine value on something like this, it's a gorgeous car but I think I am done. Exterior is 97% and the interior is at least the same, leather is in great shape. Any ideas what you would ask for if it were yours?
    Capitol Armory ad

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    You will get squat for a car that doesnt run.

Take it to a reputable shop. Being new to TX, I looked on yahoo, found a place that had good ratings and a good BBB. I have been very happy so far.

If I were you according to my research, I'd take it here:

Finsanto Auto Repairs
    26 ratings overall 4 out of 5 stars:
    FINSANTO AUTOMOTIVE
    The have a BBB rating of A-
    Finsanto-Carss Business Review in San Antonio, TX - Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin BBB

You may pay a little more than you are used to, but you won't have the problems you have had.

I know a decent amount about cars. I built a 383 stroker and put it in a 1988 corvette. I also put the computer and extra sensors from a 92 camaro and programmed a custom ROM for it. I have still gotten screwed by car repair guys when I am trying to save a few bucks. Go with someone reputable.

PS. I am sorry that all this happened...I know it sux. I had a buddy that went through something simlar with an oldschool Camaro SS Hed didnt end up getting his money or the car. Sometimes I come off as a dick stating facts. I don't mean to be a dick, I just like to deal in facts.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I know that shop, they are near me on bandera rd. The problem is the motor is in pieces, some are in the trunk, and there are multiple hose, screws, nuts, bolts and god only knows what parts are missing. It probably needs a whole newly rebuilt motor just to know where all the parts are... I just don't have that kind of income right now.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    That's even worse. The problem is you will get so much less for the car w/o the engine that it is almost a crime to get rid of it that way. I have a minivan that I hate. at 55K the trans took a dump. $2.1k to get it fixed. W/o it I'd be lucky to get $2K. With it I can probably get $5-7k. So even though I wanted to sell it, anyway, I fixed the trans first.

Even if you got a short term loan from family, friends, etc. to fix it and then sold it right away, I am thinking you'd be better off.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Talk with Chris over at MD Automotive on 1560 just about a quarter mile before 471 (next to the soccer fields). Tell 'em I sent ya, it might be worth something (or it may not! ).

When my VA Passat was giving me trouble, he had some sources for rebuilt engines as that may have been the best options. RumRunner is right, you're not going to get much out of it in its present state. A running vehicle is gonna fetch a lot more money. Just like the guys on Wheeler Dealers, you may have to spend some money to make some money...

Good luck, my friend!

Cheers! M2

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    i have a certifed mec across the street from me
    that i keep a eye on his house since he got
    robbed. and he just opened the shop
    at his house he can do me a solid
    at just about cost of parts.
    I am in OK right now and he ia working
    on mine now if you want i will talk to him
    whole or not we can it done

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    You think he would? mechs around here dont want to touch the northstar motor. Shoot, that would be amazing but I won't hold ya to it...he may run screaming when he hears the word NORTHSTAR...lol

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I have a good mechanic he quoted me $1100 to do my rear end (4x4 with a locker complete rebuild) but ended up doing it for $600 because the parts ended up being cheaper than he thought he's a real honest guy which is a rarity in the mechanic world but he's in richardson so I guess that doesn't help you.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at it... It's a Northstar, right? Did they manage to get the engine out to do the headgaskets?

FYI, having a shadetree try to do headgaskets on a DOHC engine? Bad idea... even if they don't try to rip you off.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at it... It's a Northstar, right? Did they manage to get the engine out to do the headgaskets?

FYI, having a shadetree try to do headgaskets on a DOHC engine? Bad idea... even if they don't try to rip you off.

It is a Northstar, and he didn't take the engine out. He told the officers he put the new set in and put it together, started it but something sounded wrong, so he was taking it back down. The heads had been put on, but I don't believe he bought the gasket set. I just don't have any answers at all, as I have know idea what the hell I'm looking at.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio

Here are some pics my daughter took today...

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    That's what i'd like to do, If I can get the ring sold that is in the classifieds. I gotta get this thing going again for my wife's back... It's been over a year now.

Top Bottom