Lynx Defense

I need some help for a new hunting rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    I am looking to purchase a new deer rifle, thinking standard 30-06 but I would like something that I can eventually use to hunt Elk, Moose, and other big game as well. I'm not sure if the 30-06 would work for these or if I need to go with something a bit bigger. I am not looking for anything like a 416 Rigby or other super-sized shoulder cannon, just something to reliably drop big game. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
    Lynx Defense

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    A 30-06 should serve quite adequately on just about any North American game if you do your part with the shot placement. No caliber will compensate for a bad shot.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    30-06 is what I use and I know for a fact that it'll take elk down my grandfather did it many times with the same rifle I use.

spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    Cool, looks like I'll go with the 30-06. I am from Indiana (been in El Paso for 10 years now), and for whitetail I normally use a 12 gauge so I know I 30-06 will drop a big buck, just I wasn't sure if it would be acceptably for bigger game. Thanks for the help guys.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Cool, looks like I'll go with the 30-06. I am from Indiana (been in El Paso for 10 years now), and for whitetail I normally use a 12 gauge so I know I 30-06 will drop a big buck, just I wasn't sure if it would be acceptably for bigger game. Thanks for the help guys.

Truth be told more whitetails are killed with 30/30's & .22's. Yeah peeps that poach love their .22's. IIRC the British .303 has killed more elephants then any other caliber. It's all about shot placement.

spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    I believe I have decided on which new rifle to get. Primarily I am going to go with a Marlin 1895 lever action 45-70, may be a bit over kill for a Whitetail but I think with a lighter load it should be OK and for Moose and Brown Bear the Heavier loads will work well and I love the look of the rifle. Also I decided to get a AR in .223/7.62 NATO. I think between the 2 it should cover everything on the North American continent. Thanks for the help

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I believe I have decided on which new rifle to get. Primarily I am going to go with a Marlin 1895 lever action 45-70, may be a bit over kill for a Whitetail but I think with a lighter load it should be OK and for Moose and Brown Bear the Heavier loads will work well and I love the look of the rifle. Also I decided to get a AR in .223/7.62 NATO. I think between the 2 it should cover everything on the North American continent. Thanks for the help

FYI: The .223 is not a 7.62 NATO. I think you might have been referring to the 5.56 NATO.

The 7.62 NATO chamber will shoot both 7.62x51 and .308 and the 5.56 will shoot both 5.56x45 and .223. (BUT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND).
    If you buy a AR 308 that's chambered as a .308, you do not want to shoot the 7.62 NATO. Same on an AR-15.

As for the hunting rifle, I can't help you there. I think the 30.06 will be the most common rifle in N. America for hunting..

I personally have an AR-15 for play, getting a LR-308 for hogs and deer, 30.06 if needed, and a Brit. .303 just because it's old and neat.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    FYI: The .223 is not a 7.62 NATO. I think you might have been referring to the 5.56 NATO.

The 7.62 NATO chamber will shoot both 7.62x51 and .308 and the 5.56 will shoot both 5.56x45 and .223. (BUT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND).
    If you buy a AR 308 that's chambered as a .308, you do not want to shoot the 7.62 NATO. Same on an AR-15.

As for the hunting rifle, I can't help you there. I think the 30.06 will be the most common rifle in N. America for hunting..

I personally have an AR-15 for play, getting a LR-308 for hogs and deer, 30.06 if needed, and a Brit. .303 just because it's old and neat.

I have a Brit. .303 that I have never got around to shooting my dad says its very accurate, seems to be a close balistics to a .30-06

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I have a Brit. .303 that I have never got around to shooting my dad says its very accurate, seems to be a close balistics to a .30-06

The one I have was given to me by my uncle, which he had since the 1960's. He was wanting to sell it, but he started "sporterizing" years ago and lost some parts, which he wasn't able to get much for it.. My uncle did tell me he killed 3 deers with open sights and it shot very accurate. The only thing, a box of Core-Lokt cost around $30.00. I'm looking to take it to the range soon... Where are you located?

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle

Just to clarify and a small correction.

It is not advisable to shoot .308 commerical ammo in a rifle chambered for 7.62, but you can shoot 7.62 NATO Ball in a .308. I do it all the time iwth my M1 Garand that is chambered for .308 but it is not a good idea is the few Navy M1s that were actually chambered for 7.62 and other rifles with true 7.62 chambers and here's why.

They are not the same, 'cause the .308 Win was released by Winchester several years before the Army standarized the T64E3 as the 7.62MM. You'll get an endless discussion of pressure specs, endless because SAAMI and the Ordnance Dep't measured pressure in different, unrelateable ways. However, the chamber drawings are different.
    They are the same, 'cause nobody makes 7.62MM ammo that isn't to the .308 "headspace" dimension spec. So 7.62MM ammo fits nicely into .308 chambers, as a rule.
    But in some 7.62MM rifles the chambers are long (to the 7.62MM military spec), notably the Navy Garands with 7.62MM barrels. Thus, using commercial ammo in such a rifle is not a good idea; you need stronger brass. Use military ammo or the best commercial only, e.g., Federal Gold Medal Match.

On the .223 here's some similar info:

The primary difference between .223 Remington and 5.56 x 45 mm is that .223 is loaded to lower pressures and velocities compared to 5.56 mm. .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination. The additional pressure created by 5.56 mm ammo will frequently cause over-pressure problems such as difficult extraction, flowing brass, or popped primers, but in extreme cases, could damage or destroy the rifle. Chambers cut to .223 Remington specifications have a shorter leade (throat) area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimensions compared to 5.56 mm "military" chamber specs, which contributes to the pressure issues.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The one I have was given to me by my uncle, which he had since the 1960's. He was wanting to sell it, but he started "sporterizing" years ago and lost some parts, which he wasn't able to get much for it.. My uncle did tell me he killed 3 deers with open sights and it shot very accurate. The only thing, a box of Core-Lokt cost around $30.00. I'm looking to take it to the range soon... Where are you located?

I'm way north of you in Wichita Falls. My dad said he could consistantly break beer bottles with ours at 100yds open sights.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I'm way north of you in Wichita Falls. My dad said he could consistantly break beer bottles with ours at 100yds open sights.

Dee, you in Witchita Falls? My deer lease back in OK is just across the river from you between Randlett and Walters.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Tons of pigs, we cannot shoot enough of them. We are working on the good deer part, shooting a lot of does and culls. We are making some progress, starting to see some better bucks but we are still a couple of years away.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Yea I've seen a few places like that, wait till your sitting in the stand and see a mule deer it's a total get the gun out till you look closer.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    There have been 2 or three killed in Clay county which is the county just east of Wichita. They are in Willbarger county also but there may be a season for them now. Also was told by the game warden if the deer looks funny to look at the tail before you shoot it cause unlike what the bioligist's say they are cross breeding in the wild with whitetail.

Top Bottom