• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I need to purchase vehicle . I want a sedan. I have been looking at the VW Jetta any feedback from recent owners or folks who might have worked on them. I test drove a malibu to compare and the road noise was not very good in it. The jetta I test drove was a lot quieter. Or do you have any other recommendations in that class.
    Thanks

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    What else do you look for in a sedan, other than road noise? Comfort? Acceleration performance? Handling? Fuel consumption? Reliability? Interior size? Storage volume? Quality of surfaces (Luxury vs. utility)?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    One of the big considerations I check is that there is a dealership in the area. Living in Katy with the city nearby, you shouldn't have any problem. Check on line which dealerships have the best reputation (the reputation for service from the dealership means a great deal). I haven't had a VW in years but have had a Toyota or two and have been very pleased.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Son-in-law has a 2016 with about 80k miles that he used for door dash, uber eats, commuting before Covid hit. Only thing he had to do was replace the battery about 2 months ago.

Granted he hit a curb hard (required an alignment), backed into a pole (slight side-swipe of rear fender) and bought cheap tires with one peeling the outer tread off...but other than being a bad driver and cheap, it's been good to him.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    No. Some sort of electrical issue. It was apparently common fir that to happen.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I can't add much to this one, but I can tell you that my dad did have a Jetta on a lease for a few years. He liked it. He probably would have bought it at the end of the lease period, but the residual was crazy high.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I would ask first what your budget is.

I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (diesel) and absolutely love it. It's a little rocket. Mine still has a warranty due to dieselgate and has been dead nuts reliable. I personally am not a fan of newer VW's as I think they aren't fun to drive and you get more value from some other brands.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    What else do you look for in a sedan, other than road noise? Comfort? Acceleration performance? Handling? Fuel consumption? Reliability? Interior size? Storage volume? Quality of surfaces (Luxury vs. utility)?
    Ride Quality and Road Noise I am specifically looking at the R-line I am short so not to worried about roominess. and reliability

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I would ask first what your budget is.

I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (diesel) and absolutely love it. It's a little rocket. Mine still has a warranty due to dieselgate and has been dead nuts reliable. I personally am not a fan of newer VW's as I think they aren't fun to drive and you get more value from some other brands.
    I dont want to spend alot as this will be a fill in the gap car for me I will own it for about 5-6 years the I will trade it in on a luxury car

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I dont want to spend alot as this will be a fill in the gap car for me I will own it for about 5-6 years the I will trade it in on a luxury car. I am really only considering a new not used. as the price points for 1-2 years old are very close to new pricing

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Check out this website, personally I will never own one. Too many issues.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Have had almost every foreign car. VW is the only one that screwed me. They had multiple secret recalls that they only announced if you complained about the problem enough. Sold that POS and never again. Great cars are Toyota, Honda, and presently own a Hyundai and considering all three I like the Hyundai the best but it has so many of the new features that are cool and a long warranty. Wife likes the Hyundai the best and it is her car. I drive a F250.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Fords are all we drive.
    Ecosport
    Fusion
    F150
    Explorer
    Expedition
    Edge.
    Mustang.

I like them All with the exception of the explorer. That was because of the exhaust issue. My kids still have the Ecosport and Fusion.
    I've had about 8 F150s. I wish I still had the expedition. I miss the mustang. If I was a car guy I wouldnt mind the Fusion as a daily driver.

VW are too close to BMW. I guess as long as you get rid of it before it goes out of warranty you'll be ok.

Top Bottom