• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2021
    The Texas Department of Public Safety publishes the syllabus detailing the topics that you must teach. It is on their website under the Instructor portal. You must make your own presentation. Or, the Texas Handgun Association will sell you a powerpoint presentation along with a Student Handbook.

I made my own powerpoint presentation and do not provide a handout as I have found the students do better taking notes. It really isn't that hard.
    DK Firearms

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I just figured the LTC instructors here would give me good, honest help.
    Hey - I let my students know that "I'm their LTC instructor... from now on" and to ask me before asking the Facebook instructors. By way of handouts, I offer the safe storage deck from the DPS Instructor resource directory and any other PDFs I've got that seem relevant. The way I stay in touch after the class is with an email list (BCC for the students since I don't want to "out" them). I use that to provide updates to the laws, videos of incidents that are relevant to our class material and to encourage them to continue seeking more training, either from me or literally any other qualified instructor - just to get training beyond the LTC which is really nothing more than a sobriety test. If I am using the USCCA material, then they can get the digital PDF or purchase the printed Concealed and Home Defense tabletop book. Otherwise, they leave with their notes, their LTC-100 and their target at the end and I think that's fine.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Hey - I let my students know that "I'm their LTC instructor... from now on" and to ask me before asking the Facebook instructors. By way of handouts, I offer the safe storage deck from the DPS Instructor resource directory and any other PDFs I've got that seem relevant. The way I stay in touch after the class is with an email list (BCC for the students since I don't want to "out" them). I use that to provide updates to the laws, videos of incidents that are relevant to our class material and to encourage them to continue seeking more training, either from me or literally any other qualified instructor - just to get training beyond the LTC which is really nothing more than a sobriety test. If I am using the USCCA material, then they can get the digital PDF or purchase the printed Concealed and Home Defense tabletop book. Otherwise, they leave with their notes, their LTC-100 and their target at the end and I think that's fine.

Good info that's what I'm looking for. I need training before taking the LTC. Like you said training is always a +. Do you know a good place for taking training leading to TLC close to Waco or McGregor?

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Good info that's what I'm looking for. I need training before taking the LTC. Like you said training is always a +. Do you know a good place for taking training leading to TLC close to Waco or McGregor?
    I don't know any of them personally but a quick google search listed several that looked credible. The LTC is really a basic "sobriety test" when it comes to shooting so it's really just the license. The real key is getting training to the point where you can quickly, effectively and accurately (and appropriately) use your firearm. Then keeping up on that training best you can... Most LTC instructors will be fine but I would really look into the defensive firearms instructor you choose. Certifications and reviews are important to consider.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    If you have questions such as this, you ask DPS LTC department. Not random people on a random internet forum.
    Generally good advice as far as the Internet goes, but some of us are not just "random" people... some of us actually know what we're talking about. It doesn't hurt to ask advice, just be selective on the advice you follow. The last class I had with DPS, unfortunately I knew the material better than their presenter did.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    As a LTC instructor, what all am I required to give the student? I know what subjects I have to cover and discuss. Do I have to give the students a copy of the info/laws? I know one local instructor was talked about for not giving the students any papers to take home. I intended to offer a printout of key points to remember.
    To answer the question directly the only thing you are REQUIRED to give them is the written test, and a copy of their LTC100/101 form showing class completion. I don't give my students any handouts. It's all on the PowerPoint presentation. I DO send the LTC 100/101 via email with a lot of information and resources.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    The Texas Department of Public Safety publishes the syllabus detailing the topics that you must teach. It is on their website under the Instructor portal. You must make your own presentation. Or, the Texas Handgun Association will sell you a powerpoint presentation along with a Student Handbook.

I made my own powerpoint presentation and do not provide a handout as I have found the students do better taking notes. It really isn't that hard.
    Thanks for the referral. We have several hundred Instructors using our PowerPoint presentation across the state. One major benefit is we update it every two years after the Legislative session. So the one currently offered is current as of 9-1-2021.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Thanks for the referral. We have several hundred Instructors using our PowerPoint presentation across the state. One major benefit is we update it every two years after the Legislative session. So the one currently offered is current as of 9-1-2021.
    Wallace, thanks and glad to know THGA is represented here. I've been using the deck for a few years now and have found it to be accurate and a great foundation for the class. PS: I'm a new Life Member of the association, thanks for all you folks do!

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    Wallace, thanks and glad to know THGA is represented here. I've been using the deck for a few years now and have found it to be accurate and a great foundation for the class. PS: I'm a new Life Member of the association, thanks for all you folks do!
    Congratulations! We are growing... slowly... agonizingly slowly... LOL I'm not yet a Life Member. I turn 65 in January so I'm paid up till then and will take advantage of the lower rate. PS I'm a tightwad! Shoot me a message with your name and contact info please.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I guess training varies greatly. When I took my class in 1997 a cop was the instructor and it was a good sized class. Took all day and then the range. At the end of the day he told us about the packet from DPS we were supposed to have and no one had it. This piece of crap didn't tell anyone we needed this until after he got our money and held the class. So it took us all 2 more weeks to get the paperwork in that he should have told us about. And, He knew he should have told us, he thought it was funny.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I believe that if students what information I would tell them it all on line, most people will just toss papers they receive from class because 1 they don’t have the time to read,or there just glad class is all over. Students biggest concern is going to be “when will I get my license “
    My concern was knowing how the laws worked and where I could carry and not carry and the shoot don't shoot situations.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    The laws regarding your questions is on the internet , research various resources and they will answer all your questions .
    I teach this stuff and am pretty critical of much of what I read... that said, look up the "Texas Constitutional Carry Guide 2021" from U.S. Law Shield. They have a free .pdf (legally reviewed) that has a great outline of permitless vs. LTC in Texas with a good table of where each is able to carry and a good overview of the restrictions of which one should be aware.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Congratulations! We are growing... slowly... agonizingly slowly... LOL I'm not yet a Life Member. I turn 65 in January so I'm paid up till then and will take advantage of the lower rate. PS I'm a tightwad! Shoot me a message with your name and contact info please.
    Easy to find! Here ya go.

Attachments

• BizCard.jpeg
      BizCard.jpeg
      366.5 KB · Views: 77

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    I teach this stuff and am pretty critical of much of what I read... that said, look up the "Texas Constitutional Carry Guide 2021" from U.S. Law Shield. They have a free .pdf (legally reviewed) that has a great outline of permitless vs. LTC in Texas with a good table of where each is able to carry and a good overview of the restrictions of which one should be aware.
    Just to clarify on TLS guide... it's not "reviewed" by legal, it's actually written by Attorneys. The President and CEO is a a huge supporter of the Texas Handgun Association. It's a great resources. I still recommend the LTC class for many reasons.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Just to clarify on TLS guide... it's not "reviewed" by legal, it's actually written by Attorneys. The President and CEO is a a huge supporter of the Texas Handgun Association. It's a great resources. I still recommend the LTC class for many reasons.
    Good clarification - I wasn't sure and recalled the legal involvement - even better! Regardless, a credible and useful summary of the rules. I've been pointing past students to it as well.

Top Bottom