• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    As a LTC instructor, what all am I required to give the student? I know what subjects I have to cover and discuss. Do I have to give the students a copy of the info/laws? I know one local instructor was talked about for not giving the students any papers to take home. I intended to offer a printout of key points to remember.
    Guns International

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    As a LTC instructor, what all am I required to give the student? I know what subjects I have to cover and discuss. Do I have to give the students a copy of the info/laws? I know one local instructor was talked about for not giving the students any papers to take home. I intended to offer a printout of key points to remember.
    I have two thoughts here:
    1. What training did you RECEIVE to become an LTC instructor? I have to believe that instructors are given minimums for the students to take away. Please. As I hope to take a class this summer.
    2. Don't give me ANY papers to take home. Unless it's a single booklet just chock full of everything I need to know. Otherwise, give me LINKS and I will read online and bookmark the really important stuff.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Your students should feel informed and satisfied with the presentation of material and information provided......(most important) imho.....

Feel free to print the LTC-16 (84 pages) for every student.....the State used to provide booklets long ago......but even they found out it was not cost effective....

Focus on content and presentation and you will be fine..............

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    If you have questions such as this, you ask DPS LTC department. Not random people on a random internet forum.

SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    I took the USCCA course as well as the DPS course.
    I don't want to just print out a bunch of paper that most students will toss in the trash ASAP. My wife never even looked at her papers from our LTC class. I like the idea of links. That could work.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    We provide a pen/pencil and blank paper....some will take notes, some don't. Some keep their notes, some don't.

Provide the information and yes links, they will either use the information....or not......

Referrals from former students keep us in business...been teaching full classes for 15 years....

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    It would be helpful to inform people to study the laws before they take your class. And make it clear that they should already know how to shoot the gun they are going to use for the test and you won't pass them if they don't.

Last edited:

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    I believe that if students what information I would tell them it all on line, most people will just toss papers they receive from class because 1 they don’t have the time to read,or there just glad class is all over. Students biggest concern is going to be “when will I get my license “

Kotadaas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Clarksville
    I have two thoughts here:
    1. What training did you RECEIVE to become an LTC instructor? I have to believe that instructors are given minimums for the students to take away. Please. As I hope to take a class this summer.
    2. Don't give me ANY papers to take home. Unless it's a single booklet just chock full of everything I need to know. Otherwise, give me LINKS and I will read online and bookmark the really important stuff.

My LTC Instructor had a powerpoint that was just summarized information available on the regulatory website, which has literally everything
    Handgun Licensing | Department of Public Safety (texas.gov)

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Paper seems like a waste of time and money. I'm not sure how you're having people schedule/prepay to take lessons, but I would recommend emailing the course materials as well as other relevant information. Might be beneficial to create a subscription based email list where you can send out news and information (for the purpose of trying to get previous students to come back for additional instruction, or for referrals). I wouldn't pay for a service until it is taking up more than 2-3 hours of your time a week.

Top Bottom