Lynx Defense

I need a job, but have nothing in my favor.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I'm not going to be one of the people replacing the striking workers. The people striking aren't even with the same company. The company I will be working for does the testing for the company whose employees are striking. Their striking is causing difficulty for the company I will be getting on with, which is why they aren't hiring anyone at the moment.
    Military Camp

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Scott, my opinion is lets give the guy some slack and help him out before we pass judgement (ooohpp that's a sin) on the guy and draw conclusions. My guess is that he is in a place in his life where he knows right from wrong and is desperately trying get to a better place. The only way to do that is hard work but he has no experience.

He needs a break from someone, some situation where a good job with a good company will allow him to flourish if he works hard. Its bad enough that this guy gets his ass thumped by some tard on this forum when he first joins but sticks with and look at him now. He has conquered any fears and inexperience with firearms and he and his wife have found a great hobby to enjoy together.

I think my post wasn't that scathing. I would hope he isn't so thin skin that he would come to a public forum and expect every post to be cupcakes and rainbows. I went through a long employment search not too long ago and the advice I gave is solid. Attitude and networking are the 2 biggest keys. And if he is saying "networking is not an option" then frankly his attitude needs to a major adjustment. Networking is the number one option. My only comment about the family, etc. is that he shouldn't discuss it because it will make people wonder if he's not the problem. Several others have chimed in and said the same thing. Let's not be liberals and sugar coat everything!

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    No I don't really have thin skin, especially not online. I'm more worried about how people perceive me and what impression people may get of me. I said networking isn't an option not in that I can't do it, but that I don't really have much more of a network to exploit than I'm already doing. My brother (although who knows how anything with him will turn out) is supposed to be getting a general labor job at a ranch or something and said after a few weeks working there he might be able to get me on. I don't put too much faith in that, his track record is not that great. Then I have the friend trying to get me the NDT job which I could get the call tomorrow or it may take longer than I originally anticipated, I just don't know. But that's pretty much it. I'm not really a part of any groups or anything. I know very few people in the area who could possibly help me find a job.

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I always go into any job ready to learn. If I wasn't contract and there wasn't a work shortage, I probably never would have been laid off from the eddy current to begin with. All the techs I worked under made it a point to tell me how much they appreciate how hard I work and that it was refreshing to work with someone who actually came to work to work and not just goof off all day. I also moved up in retail extremely fast for the same reason. All the management there wanted me moved up.

It's not difficult to get employers to love me by just being who I am naturally. It's just sometimes difficult to get them to let me show them.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Correct... don't play ignorant if you're not. That's not a good tactic. OTOH, neither is acting like a know-it-all... and if that's what you're getting at then I agree especially if you really do need the help. And in that case, yes, accept the advice graciously.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's not difficult to get employers to love me by just being who I am naturally. It's just sometimes difficult to get them to let me show them.
    That one hits close to home, as in "I resemble that remark". I had to interview 4 times for the job I wanted and watched some real dunderheads get picked over me.

Then my networking paid off. An executive pulled me aside and asked me "You're going to interview for an Officer position again, aren't you? Come by my office 30 minutes before your interview. I'll give you a mock interview."

This guy knew me and knew I'd done good, imaginative work for him. He also knew I tended to overthink things and answer questions sideways. So he gave me a mock interview. He asked a question. I started to answer. Then he'd interrupt and say "No, you will say: XYZ."

When I went into the interview, I was asked exactly the questions that exec had posed. Instead of listening to my inner self (who will tell you how to build a clock and give you a history lesson on ancient advancements in timekeeping technology when you ask me what time it is) I simply regurgitated what he had told me.

I was hired. After 7 years in the field, I moved laterally to a field support position working with some wonderful technology, getting to solve very interesting problems every day, and no longer having to deal with people trying to kill me.

I said all that to say this: Don't discount networking. If there has ever been an employer who loved you as an employee or a co-worker who can vouch for your competence and work ethic, then you have network contacts that you should try to use.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Edit to add: "I said all that to say this: Don't discount networking. If there has ever been an employer who loved you as an employee or a co-worker who can vouch for your competence and work ethic, then you have network contacts that you should try to use."

Bingo!

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    Regarding acting ignoranr, I would rephrase it as let them show you how *they* do it. The worst thing is someone fresh coming in saying my last job did it this way. After you have proven yourself, you can offer suggestions if they improve the process.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Brother my brother. . While you are feeling a little down, on your feet, you sir are not the only one. .to feel down is one thing . But what makes you a better man is getting up...
    Networks help. But dertimantion is what separates you. We have given you a break.
    We have coddled you for pages. But excuses will be no longer tolerated. .
    You sir are healthy smart and intelligent. Nuff said. You do what you gotta do.
    Im working poor, im getting paid well below what im worth. But no whaaaaaaaaa my job is to find another that pays better. .
    As your only job BEG BORROW OR STEAL THAT JOB!!! IT MATTERS NOT JUST GET ONE. .
    I do not know you personally but i can see your character. You sir deserve to live up to it.
    Rest pray and then on your feet.
    No time for self redicule or regret. Nuff time for that latter. . Now is the time for money.
    FIGHT FIGHT AND FIGHT! !!!! Here is a true story. .
    Im getting paid like a high school kid, do i like it H2da naw do I like it? H2da naw. .
    So what do I do?
    Find another cotton picking job, till i find another. No more no less. .. you can be picky or you can eat your choice. ..
    I am praying for you, but you have to meet blessings half way. .
    Sorry I'm a little crass hard,and callous, but you sir need to cowboy up

Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria
    How serious are you

So reading your posts it sounds like you have mastered the art of learned defeatism.........now you need to consider the art of learned optimism.

Your attitude is 'projected' on many levels; voice, body language, vocabulary etc. who would be interested in a loser when that is the first impression one receives?

Once you're done with looking in the mirror what are your assets? You can work with NDT folks? Great! Now get busy and build a profile on LinkIn and Oilpro.com. Don't lie just up your vocabulary and lay out your experiences, training and what you are looking for in life.

Then participate in discussions of interest and help provide your insight. Readers will notice, look at your profile.....get it....exposure......life is not black and white. Life is full of azzhats, get over it and learn to deal with them on a professional level. A book to recommend is "Verbal Judo" cheeeep on amazon dot com...... Zachary will be bringing in about 1800 folks here in Sweeny at the Phillips complex. CBI has a huge LNG project in Cameron. LA. There is just a LOT of work but people with the right attitude have a better chance.

Speaking from experience it has taken me years to learn how to be realistic with people that will be your 'friend' and screw you over in a heartbeat just to swap a day off. We get it now it's your turn to get it.

Quit being negative...just quit cold turkey is best......may have to be willing to travel for a while. I'm at a motel for 6 months with folks from all over the naiton as the seamless pipe factory is being built and the Sweeny complex project continues to grow.

Good luck....

Top Bottom