• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bman940

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    SW of Denton
    I love range days that go like this. It's always sight in rifles, check optics and loads, then head to the pistol range or CQB course for fun to end the day. On this day, I bore sighted my Surgeon Scalpel, which is built on a 700 action. The first shot was 2 inches low and 1.25 left. 8 clicks up, MOA turrets, and 5 clicks to the left, and I stack the first 2 shots, and the 3rd is .125 inches right. I love it when everything comes together so quickly. My ammunition is Winchester 308 Win, 150 Gr Ballistic Silver Tip, and the optic is a Blackhound Emerge 3-24X56 IL, MOA reticle. I love this combination. Zero stop, so I have one less thing to remember, which is good, clear, and bright edge to edge, and I love the large turrets with audible and tactile clicks. Unfortunately, this was the most straightforward scope sight in of the day. I always check mount and ring tightness before the first shot. My buddy didn't, and after watching him take 8 shots all over the target, he wanted to move to the 50-yard range. I asked him a few questions, which all received yes answers. I then walked up and just touched his scope, and it wobbled! His base screws were just finger-tightened. He had a much better day after that was fixed. Happens to the best of us. I'll get the opportunity to air this rifle out coyote hunting in the wide-open West TX plains this Jan.
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 11.44.36 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 11.44.36 AM.png
      1.4 MB · Views: 45

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    ColHannibalSmithPlanComeTogether.jpg

Good job on the sighting in, sounds like fun.
    And good job troubleshooting your friends' setup. Sometimes even the little things escape us. BTDT. Didn't use loc-tite on my ring posts and they came loose. Took me a while to figure it out but eventually I did. Never made that mistake again.

That reminds me. I got some new .308 loads. I need to drag my ass to the range and test them out.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Neat write up. I hope you stack them deep when you get out on that coyote hunt.

It’s interesting how rifles choose what they love to eat. My .308 is built on a Spanish Mauser action and I have a Douglas barrel on it.

When I had it out for its first range day the 150 gn Winchester load you had great success with, mine hated it.

It did however group exceptionally well with the 150 gn Nosler BT, 46.8 gn of Varget & a Winchester LRP.

After I found this load I gave all the factory ammo away to my friends & family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom