• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    There have been quite a few posts since the SCOTUS NYSRPA vs. Bruen decision of positive news about 2A matters across several states. While they haven't been as much many of us want on this forum I like the improved freedom and liberty. For example in no particular order;
    • 18-20 years olds can't be denied a firearm due to age
    • Indicted but not convicted persons don't lose 2A rights
    • Ghost gun manufacture, possession but not sale can't be outlawed
    • Expanded 'sensitive places' change in CHL law to ban guns on thin ice
    • Half of all states have some form of constitutional carry
    • Maryland drops 'good cause' requirement for get CHL/LT
    • Many many new gun owners
    Other 2A improvements on my developing list of wants/needs:
    • Repeal of National Firearms Act of 1934
    • Repeal of Federal Firearms Act of 1938 (btw: how did our country get by for 230 yrs before this law)
    • Repeal of Gun Control Act of 1968
    • Repeal of Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986
    • Until above get repealed get suppressors and short barrel rifles off the list requiring a tax stamp, govt approval, etc.
    • Require all U.S. states and territories to recognize concealed carry permits granted by other states.
    • Increase in number of states/locations that allow permittless carry
    • More states pass preemption law to stop cities/counties making their own gun laws
    • Continue to see more states reduce/eliminate their gun control laws in light of Bruen decision
    • States and federal agencies continue to have their authority over 2A matters reduced by either/or federal courts or governors/legislatures
    • ...to be continued
    What's on your wish list?
    Guns International

Attachments

• Second-Amendment-to-the-United-States-Constitution.jpg
      Second-Amendment-to-the-United-States-Constitution.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 59

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There have been quite a few posts since the SCOTUS NYSRPA vs. Bruen decision of positive news about 2A matters across several states. While they haven't been as much many of us want on this forum I like the improved freedom and liberty. For example in no particular order;
    • 18-20 years olds can't be denied a firearm due to age
    • Indicted but not convicted persons don't lose 2A rights
    • Ghost gun manufacture, possession but not sale can't be outlawed
    • Expanded 'sensitive places' change in CHL law to ban guns on thin ice
    • Half of all states have some form of constitutional carry
    • Maryland drops 'good cause' requirement for get CHL/LT
    • Many many new gun owners
    • Repeal of Federal Firearms Act of 1938 (btw: how did our country get by for 230 yrs before this law)
    • Repeal of Gun Control Act of 1968
    • Repeal of Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986
    • Until above get repealed get suppressors and short barrel rifles off the list requiring a tax stamp, govt approval, etc.
    • Require all U.S. states and territories to recognize concealed carry permits granted by other states.
    • Increase in number of states/locations that allow permittless carry
    • More states pass preemption law to stop cities/counties making their own gun laws
    • Continue to see more states reduce/eliminate their gun control laws in light of Bruen decision
    • States and federal agencies continue to have their authority over 2A matters reduced by either/or federal courts or governors/legislatures
    • ...to be continued
    What's on your wish list?
    I like your wish list, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to happen.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Thanks for comment. Just my BHAG.

As seasoned citizen I remember when then Gov Ann Richards vetoed the first concealed carry bill in the last century and then it passed in 1995 with Gov Bush. My understanding there was a lot political pressure put on the legislature and in turn Bush. I wrote a few times and called my state reps. And now we have much improved 2A situation in TX in 2022 and many other states. It is going to take awhile to change what has happened since 1934.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thanks for comment. Just my BHAG.

As seasoned citizen I remember when then Gov Ann Richards vetoed the first concealed carry bill in the last century and then it passed in 1995 with Gov Bush. My understanding there was a lot political pressure put on the legislature and in turn Bush. I wrote a few times and called my state reps. And now we have much improved 2A situation in TX in 2022 and many other states. It is going to take awhile to change what has happened since 1934.
    IIRC she stated several times she would never pass Concealed Carry in texas.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We’ve had some great wins of late, and I suspect more to come.

Plus the ATF has been bitch-slapped a bit with their overreach and re-defining what a firearm is.

I think the Texas suppressor law may have legs.
    The ATF argument is:
    Suppressors aren’t firearms under NYSRPA v Bruen. .
    Suppressors are firearms under NFA
    …seriously.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    We’ve had some great wins of late, and I suspect more to come.

Plus the ATF has been bitch-slapped a bit with their overreach and re-defining what a firearm is.

I think the Texas suppressor law may have legs.
    The ATF argument is:
    Suppressors aren’t firearms under NYSRPA v Bruen. .
    Suppressors are firearms under NFA
    …seriously.

I am excited for this ruling. Courts have been chipping away at the NFA and state infringements since Bruening came down

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    As much hope as I have of SCOTUS coming down and saying Suppressors are exempt from ATF regulation - it does not escape my memory that SCOTUS has fucked us before using Congress' power to enact taxes - and ultimately the NFA is a tax law disguised as a gun law as much as its a gun law disguised as a tax law. Congress still has the power to levy taxes - the question becomes do they uphold the tax part, while removing suppressors from NFA restrictions and and registration requirements, do they uphold the NFA as is, or do they say "no excessive tax, and no burdensome regulation" and shitcan the NFA as a whole, or just for suppressors?

ATF is looking stupid by arguing both sides of the coin - technically they are right - suppressors *by themselves* are not "bearable arms", unless you want to argue the suppressor by itself is an impact weapon that doubles as a noise reduction device. And also technically they *are* regulated as firearms as part of the NFA.

All gun laws are infringements, but SCOTS has said before that some infrigement is OK, despite the plain language in the 2A to the contrary.

I won't hold my breath, BUT if and when they strike the NFA down, or at least strikes suppressors from it, I'll celebrate by adding noise controls to my guns.

SCOTUS needs to likewise strike down all attempts at banning or regulating home made firearms, and hopefully they sack up and strike down *all* licensing schemes or prohibitions on carrying guns in public nationwide - we just become a nation of constitutional carry. Maybe that would nudge legislators here in Texas into cleaning up Texas law and getting rid of .06 / 07 / 05 prohibitions and striking the restrictions on carrying in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, sporting events, and other public gatherings.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

Scalia, in Heller, made the core of the NFA invulnerable to attack.

We may as well consider at this point (for we will have to consider eventually) what types of weapons Miller permits. Read in isolation, Miller’s phrase “part of ordinary military equipment” could mean that only those weapons useful in warfare are protected. That would be a startling reading of the opinion, since it would mean that the National Firearms Act’s restrictions on machineguns (not challenged in Miller) might be unconstitutional, machineguns being useful in warfare in 1939. We think that Miller’s “ordinary military equipment” language must be read in tandem with what comes after: “[O]rdinarily when called for [militia] service [able-bodied] men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179. The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms “in common use at the time” for lawful purposes like self-defense. “In the colonial and revolutionary war era, [small-arms] weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same.” State v. Kessler, 289 Ore. 359, 368, 614 P. 2d 94, 98 (1980) (citing G. Neumann, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution 6–15, 252–254 (1973)). Indeed, that is precisely the way in which the Second Amendment’s operative clause furthers the purpose announced in its preface. We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns. That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right, see Part III, infra.

That's Scalia saying, unprompted, even though the question was NOT before the court, that machine gun regulations can never be rolled back. Period.

Heller was 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. I find it odd that gun owners so consistently praise that decision without taking note of exactly how it also screws us over, big time.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    SCOTUS needs to likewise strike down all attempts at banning or regulating home made firearms, and hopefully they sack up and strike down *all* licensing schemes or prohibitions on carrying guns in public nationwide - we just become a nation of constitutional carry. Maybe that would nudge legislators here in Texas into cleaning up Texas law and getting rid of .06 / 07 / 05 prohibitions and striking the restrictions on carrying in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, sporting events, and other public gatherings.

We’re making some progress…not quite to scotus level yet. Federa judge has ruled that we do have the right to manufacture weapons.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Until we get repeal of Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986 in total a good start would be part of that law that makes machine guns so expensive if made before 1986. The big requirement for owning a machine gun is that it must have been made before May 19, 1986. It was the Hughes Amendment to the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 which officially closed the NFA registry to new machine guns.

Supply and demand rules this market. Quick glance at GunBroker website shows MGs for 10s of thousand of $$$$$. High was $150K for Colt M16A2, $32K for Thompson, $22.5K for Uzi.

Fun to imagine the Hughes Amendment was gone and manufacture of new MGs was made possible and cheaper to buy. Would you buy an old model (M60, BAR, Thompson, Uzi, MAC10 etc) or a newer design?

Attachments

• istockphoto-889307282-612x612.jpg
      istockphoto-889307282-612x612.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 55

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It was the Hughes Amendment to the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 which officially closed the NFA registry to new machine guns.
    I'm still pissed because the Hughes Amendment didn't pass. I watched the vote, live, on C-SPAN. The amendment came up for a voice vote. The yeas were tepid; the nays were overwhelming. The chairman, Charlie Rangel, proclaimed that the yeas have it, ignored people calling for a roll call vote, and moved on.

It was a naked abuse of power as bad as any you're likely to see.

But judge for yourself.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Last thing in the world I would buy is a machinegun simply because I’ve got enough time behind them to know they’re the gun world’s equivalent on the top right quadrant of the hot/crazy matrix.

And temperamental to boot.
    I couldn't afford the ammo.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I couldn't afford the ammo.
    Ditto. Yet there are folks who can buy enough ammo to wear out a barrel without a second thought.

One of the reasons that shooting ranges in Europe are often so good is that, via restrictive legislation that has made it more and more expensive over time, shooting has become a pastime for the rich.

The U.S. is better but, looking back, it seems we're inexorably headed that direction. I hope the OP is right and we can beat back the forces of authoritarianism that threaten us but, so far in my life, 90% of the progress has been in the wrong direction.

I guess it's too early and I'm in a mood. I sure hope my pessimism isn't warranted but, looking forward, I fear I won't live long enough to know the answer.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    @benenglish The indoor range concept is slowly turning recreational shooting into a rich man’s sport with the membership fee, subscription based annual memberships that are designed to add a stable income line to offset the variable range fees, charging lane fees in hourly increments with a 1hr min despite most pistol shooters being done less than an hour, incorporating archery bays, and sub-leasing the gunsmith function.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm still pissed because the Hughes Amendment didn't pass. ... The speaker, Charlie Rangel, proclaimed that the yeas have it, ignored people calling for a roll call vote, and moved on.

It was a naked abuse of power as bad as any you're likely to see.
    There was some folks getting motivated to sue several years ago. Did that peter out? I'm surprised none of our 2A orgs have sued to have it thrown out over the years. Seems clear cut.

Top Bottom