• ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I hate Bullet Trap, love Targetmasters.

Let me start off by saying I have always hated Bullet Trap, ever since my first visit many years ago. Can't stand the staff or the place. Always rude, overpriced as hell, no ventilation, range is shitty, and didn't even have guns for a long time. However, because it is slightly cheaper and closer than FGC, I do go there when I have friends from out of town who want to shoot. But Targetmasters has been my go-to for an indoor range.

Summary:

- Friend from Cali comes to Texas because he wants to move here. Brings Australian girlfriend with to check out area.
    - They want to shoot. Bullet Trap is closest. We go to Bullet Trap.
    - Bullet Trap says because girl is Australian and has no U.S. identification, she isn't allowed to shoot there due to Bullet Trap having Class 3 items....we leave (we were not renting, using my weapons and ammo).
    - Call Targetmaster's and ask if we can shoot there. They say hell yes.
    - Go to Targetmaster's. Have better time on nicer range that is well ventilated, and has a better overall look and feel. Staff is exceedingly nice. Friends have great time.

My question is this: Has anyone ever heard of a law or regulation stating that non-U.S. citizens cannot shoot at a range due to NFA weapons being present? Never heard of this, and was very surprised to even be told this. My gut said he was full of shit honestly, was I wrong to get a little miffed? They said they would have no problem if there weren't Class 3 weapons present in the store.

Also for what it's worth, every weapon I own is NFA registered. :)
    Target Sports

Last edited:

CaptScooby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    International shooters fine and shoot all the time. What an ass hat

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That's nuts. I've never had to produce an ID at a range and I've taken a whole group of Germans, some of whom couldn't speak English. I think the next time I go, I'll try to speak with an Australian accent and see what happens.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The indoor range I go to asks for an ID, but only to verify I am really who I say I am to sign the release form. They are class 3 dealers too and I saw a whole group of Ausralians shooting there. Including NFA items. The staff are the ones that told me they were Ausralians. With a big smile too. They dropped several thousand that day.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I work at Eagle Gun range in Lewisville. We will allow anyone to shoot and rent there unless they are under a certain age. As long as you have a picture ID of some kind we'll take that. If that's a foriegn Driver's license, a passport whatever.

We had a whole family from New Zealand stop by and spend 3 hours on the range shooting probably a quarter of our rental counter.

We don't allow anyone under 21 to rent handguns, 18 to 20 can rent rifles or shotguns. And anyone under 18 has to have some kind of guardian there to take responsiblity. 8 is the lowest age allowed on the range except for Youth nights then we drop that to 7.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I work at Eagle Gun range in Lewisville. We will allow anyone to shoot and rent there unless they are under a certain age. As long as you have a picture ID of some kind we'll take that. If that's a foriegn Driver's license, a passport whatever.

That's what I thought. Pondered that very subject the other day, wondering what y'alls thoughts and feeling would be if I brought in newb shooters, possibly from abroad to show them the ropes, or if that's a privilege afforded to employees and/or licensed instructors.

CaptScooby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Wild you happen to know the state law on outdoor ranges and minimum age? Or is that more left up to the owner of the range, etc. My 6 yr old lives to shoot, but can't find a place they'll let him.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    That's what I thought. Pondered that very subject the other day, wondering what y'alls thoughts and feeling would be if I brought in newb shooters, possibly from abroad to show them the ropes, or if that's a privilege afforded to employees and/or licensed instructors.

Bring'em up. We have tons of groups show up with zero firearms experience at all. Lots of Chinese college students. Sometimes there's a language barrier.

Wild you happen to know the state law on outdoor ranges and minimum age? Or is that more left up to the owner of the range, etc. My 6 yr old lives to shoot, but can't find a place they'll let him.

I don't know of any state laws on the subject but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Our age rules are set by the owner and whatever him and the lawyers have come up with.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Try Elm Fork sometime.

I 2nd this. I go to Elm Fork all the time and have gotten to know most of the staff and they are very helpful and friendly. Only down side is its outdoors and when it rains it gets muddy and sometimes floods but they just did a ton of work for drainage so I hope they fixed the issue. Last summer 2015 they were closed for months because the entire facility was under several feet of water.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I shoot steel and IDPA matches there. They're coming along pretty good on construction. New concrete slabs for parking new drainage ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom