I guess we're going for the new HVAC system...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Our fall inspection has revealed some problems with the HVAC system. Our service guy (we've used for 10 years) says just run it until it dies, then do partial fixes. He always comes up with cheap fixes.

But from what he's telling me, I figure the likely repairs coming up in the next two years would be a big chunk of a new system. Plus you know it will fail in August when it's 107°. It's 20 years old. Enough. You did your job Ruud.

Then there's the mandated changeover to new environmentally friendly refrigerants. R410-A is going away. The new systems come 01/01/2025 will be more expensive. He's not excited about them. We don't plan on being here forever but it will be easier to sell with a newer system than a by-then-25+ year old patched together AC. We'd end up giving them a new system anyway as part of the sale.

There's not too many R410-A systems left but he found one for us. They are running down the inventory.

Pricey. Eh, whatcha gonna do? We knew it when we bought the place a year ago and it helped us negotiate the price so we got some of it then.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I’m facing the same situation - original unit from when the house was built in ‘99.

What SEER rating is on the unit you are considering? May I ask a ballpark price, since I’m probably facing the same situation within the next year?

Good luck with the purchase!

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I'm not sure of the SEER. My AC guy says that's a meaningless bunch of crap anyway as there are so many variables that affect efficiency. But I'll found out.

We have a two story 1200sq ft town house. So there's a lot of attic work and it's tight up there. We're getting a 3 ton unit and it's $9,000. But for the newer systems mandated for next year you should probably add 20%, or so I'm told.

I asked him what the best brand was and he said compared to 20 years ago they are all crap, and all the same Chinese crap. AC units have been commoditized and consolidated like appliances, where Whirlpool makes everything.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have read that the price for HVAC units will go up significantly with the new regulations.

The cost of a 16 SEER to get the tax credit (vs. a 14.3 SEER) was not a good economic deal when I looked at it. Ten years to reach breakeven.

Besides a 14.3 SEER cut my electrical consumption in half. Good enough for me.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Just had a 5 ton Carrier package intit installed. 14 SEER. Replaced a 30 year old commercial Carrier package unit. Lowered electrical consumption. $ 6,800.00

Top Bottom