Military Camp

I don't like the idea of appenix carry with a non-hammer firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I prefer a carry vest for most situations, yes they are EXPENSIVE! but unzipped the vest allows access while wearing a seat belt and while laying down or in other awkward positions. I am a huge advocate of never ever pointing the muzzle at my body, and yes my left arm does cross the muzzle path often... I also think each person will decide on a viable option themselves and if they train and practice then that choice is good for them. Training by several "professionals" is also money well spent. I enjoy reading posts here, lot's of experience and knowledge presented by you folks!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Too many people want to be fast INTO the holster, and set themselves up for accidents. More people shoot themselves holstering a hip carried firearm than appendix carry - holstering a gun is inherently dangerous regardless of carry method. There are true accidents, and then there's simple negligence.

I'd rather be fast OUT of the holster, do whatever work needs doing, and then take a split second to visually assess the holster's position and condition (make sure it hasn't shifted, and make sure nothing is obstructing it) and guide the gun into place.

If you're not a cop or security professional who may have to de-escalate from pointing guns to going hands-on, there's almost zero chance you won't have that second to make sure you are holstering up safely. If the threat is still present, the gun should still be out. If the threat is over, you can take an extra second to holster up. If the threat didn't call for going to guns in the first place, and you drew your gun, you done fucked up well before having the chance to unintentionally shoot yourself.

Once the gun is in the holster, the likelihood of you shooting your jimmy off, or blowing a gaping hole thru your femoral artery is next to zero. Use a quality holster and a quality firearm. Soft holsters shouldn't be used for inside the waist carry, ever, regardless of position. They probably shouldn't be used in any capacity because a soft sided holster won't prevent the trigger from being depressed.

I'd rather not shoot any part of my anatomy, be it my leg, my butt cheek, my bits & pieces, or my chest (no Nutnfancy style chest carry for me, thank you!) - so I'll take the time to check my holster instead of trying to be the fastest at holstering.

True Manufacturing

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Smart. I recall in CC training the instructor stressed that most accidental discharges happen when people are jacked up from a situation and try to quickly shove it back in the holster.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I mostly carry Kimber 1911 or Micro 9 I have carried 1911 pistols for 50 years so very comfortable with them.... both are safety on until presented and safety on prior to withdrawing-- I am concerned about my SIG 320 VTAC with no safety and a murky history of accidental discharge. Absolutely love the firearm, but will be a range lady until I can regain confidence in it. Anyone have personal knowledge of SIG 320 problems?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I mostly carry Kimber 1911 or Micro 9 I have carried 1911 pistols for 50 years so very comfortable with them.... both are safety on until presented and safety on prior to withdrawing-- I am concerned about my SIG 320 VTAC with no safety and a murky history of accidental discharge. Absolutely love the firearm, but will be a range lady until I can regain confidence in it. Anyone have personal knowledge of SIG 320 problems?

You might be able to install the thumb safety that Sig has offered on some models, essentially giving you 1911 level of safety. It was originally an option on the M17/M18 models, but they've now released thumb safety equipped guns in other flavors too, and the P365 has a safety equipped option. You might drop Sig a line and see if you can convert yours to use the safety switch?

I'm an M&P fan personally, and I like the safety equipped models because they give me a great thumb shelf. When I carry one with a safety, its in a holster that is molded to help move the safety into the "ON" position as the gun is being holstered, should I forget to activate it. It also makes it difficult for the safety lever to be deactivated while in the holster. The M&P line up is very easy to convert from safety equipped to non-safety equipped and vice-versa.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Go ahead an do the 2 # trigger on your Glock and stuff it in the front or your Jeans, what's the worst could happen??

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I do not appendix carry. Not so much because I had an appendectomy but rather because I suffer from the German/Irish curse and I'd rather not make it smaller by shooting any of it off. Seriously, I believe it to be a very poor choice of how to carry, even worse than small of back carry but that's just my opinion.

I concur. Puts the muzzle too close to the femoral artery for my comfort. Too much could go wrong. It's not just drawing and holstering that I worry about but getting into a struggle for the gun while it is pointed things that will bleed you out in short order. I finally convinced my son to not carry Appendix. I'll stick with 4 o'clock carry with a 20 degree cant.

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I would be interested to know why the OP is concerned carrying appendix on a weapon with no safety lever.

That said I do not prefer appendix carry at all mainly because it’s just uncomfortable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BABBALOU1956

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2021
    Lewisville
    Carrying cocked & unlocked always made me a little nervous but I'm too forgetful to even think about having a safety on my carry guns. They're all DAO. I do like the grip safety on some Springfields. If I'll be standing I appendix carry & if I'll be sitting I pocket carry. I've got 2 LCR in 38 & 2 LCRX in 38. Also a micro SIG P290RS in 9mm & Beretta Pico 380. Anything bigger digs into my thigh or belly.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    No appendix carry for me. Used to be my excuse was my gut was too big. Now much of that is gone so the excuse now is that I don't want a 185 grn 45acp round in a Condition One 1911 pointing directly at my junk. Intrinsically safe or not - I'll stick with my strong side OWB.

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    This is a good reason not to.

A very painful reminder of the dangers associated with re-holstering AIWB. More than likely he had some of his shirt go in with the trigger guard. A quality holster and a slow, deliberate re-holster should greatly mitigate this risk.

I love my Tier 1 appendix carry holster. Is it cheap, nope. Does it very discreetly conceal my G43, yep. Is it comfortable? Absolutely.
    +1 on Tier 1. They are the holsters I have settled on a couple of years back for appendix carry. Their optional wedges make a world of difference in concealability - keeping the grip close to the body - and comfortability. They are great people to deal with as well.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I've shot one .357 Magnum round out of my Ruger SP101, which is heavy tank of a revolver.

After pulling the trigger, my hand went from horizontal to completely vertical with a muzzle blast that was unpleasant even with double ear pro.

Weird thing (I guess) is, I always found shooting .45 ACP out of a 1911 a joy when others complain (sometimes) that it's too much...

I resemble that. . . . . . . . . about .357 vs) .45ACP 1911's. The GLOCK 21 is even more pleasant to shoot than a 1911.
    leVieux

Top Bottom