APOD Firearms

I don't like the idea of appenix carry with a non-hammer firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I guess I'm here to talk about appendix carry and what I do and don't like and what ya'll do and think about what I do. So pretty much the one and only gun that I've really carried the last 2 years is a Taurus 605. It's 5rnd .357 with a Hogue grip in some cheap soft leather amazon holster. It is super comfortable and I forget about it. It moves with me, not against me. I carry it right about 12:30. Just to the right of the zipper, so I can still pee without undoing everything and the barrel doesn't hit my leg when I sit. Thing is, I hate the gun. .38 special isn't too bad in it, but .357 is just brutal, which I decided to carry... The trigger is very long and heavy and pinches my finger. The gun is so hard to get a grip on with 2 hands. I have no idea if I could shoot it one handed.

I have a M&P Bodyguard .380 but it's failed my little test before using for CC, 2 times. (light primer strike) I think it also pinched my finger and for sure was very hard to get a grip on. Since it's hammer fired, it would be a gun I would consider carrying, but it's got the same problems as the 605 and then failed my test 2 times. As the title says, I really don't like the idea of carrying a firearm that isn't hammer fired. I think I rule out SA hammer fired as well. I'm not sure if this is something I can learn to get over or not.

I've wasted too much money buying guns and holsters and them not working for me. Every setup I've tried in the 3-4 o clock area, moved against me and was very uncomfortable. I've carried my G17 appendix at every once in a while to remind myself why I don't do it... I like that the barrel is on my junk and not pointed at my junk, but I could probably get a G34 and it would go past my junk and not be a problem if I sit down. But the grip is a bit long. ...If I could get a G34 slide on a G19 frame, lol. But the problem I've noticed when appendix carrying a semi-auto is that the beavertail/back of slide jab up into my abdomen when I bend over and go to sit into my car.

I really want a setup that is comfortable and something I can actually shoot. But that is hammer fired? or maybe a way to get over my kinda trust issues of "if" my gun goes off, so does my junk/leg? I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I guess because it has a long trigger pull and a hammer, it's harder to pull the trigger all the way and I could possibly feel the hammer going up and stop it.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Lynx Defense

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    While I don't necessarily appendix carry, I have the same reservations about holstering a SA pistol.. Yea I know, I'm a weenie...

First off and I cannot emphasize this enough... GET RID OF THE CHEAP AMAZON HOLSER... One of the largest reasons for ND's are cheap holsters that can accidentally engage the trigger... Personally I use the Alien gear setup... The trigger guard is a hard plastic cavity that the trigger goes into and securely locks it in place and no chance of hitting the trigger.... Secondly and this is a personal thing... I only will carry a SA with a safety... I currently carry the S&W Shield... I simply insert my pistol into my holster and disengage the safety.. Now I am carrying with one in the pipe and ZERO safety.... All I have to do is pull and fire..

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    You already have a good gun in the 605, and .38 Special ammo will get the job done. You sound like you need a better holster.

I use this with my LCR. I believe they make one for the 605 as well....

Ruger LCR 38/357/22 Inside The Waistband Holster

Brand: Badger Concealment

Ruger LCR 38/357/22 Inside The Waistband Holster

[]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    I have carried a Glock 19 or 19X for the past... 10 years? at least... AIWB using a Raven Concealment Systems Vanguard RCS Gear holster. It is by far the most comfortable, concealable, and accessible carrying arrangement I could find. It's basically a cover that snaps over the trigger guard and (in my case) attaches to the belt via loop. I also put a wing on it. It can be worn under an untucked or tucked shirt.

Some years back I spent a lot of time training with guys from the Central Texas Combatives Training Group, and nearly everyone there carried a Glock IWB using either a Vanguard holster or one of the similar trigger-guard cover-hooked-to-lanyard designs. After trying it myself I decided they were on to something.

We spent a lot of time in close-in combatives -- hands-on 'rasslin' on the ground, knife attack and defense, shooting at close quarters (airsoft and live fire exercises), etc. Overall AIWB was handier, faster, and easier to protect against gun grabs. The minimalist holster made it more comfortable, the gun moves a bit with me when I sit. Many holster set-ups are designed to try to fix the gun in place so it's in the exact same place every time, but that results in a stiff fixed holster which is not so comfortable, especially IWB. The minimalist design doesn't add bulk, but I find it does keep the gun where I need it.

Obviously you need to draw with finger off the trigger and re-holster with care, but that's true for any system. With the minimalist holsters you secure the trigger guard before the gun goes in the pants, which is safer than sticking the gun into a regular holster.

The frame and finish of the glock have stood up well to being next to my body. Does need some cleaning once in awhile, but rust has not been a worry.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I guess I'm here to talk about appendix carry and what I do and don't like and what ya'll do and think about what I do....
    Lots to unpack here. Comfortable carry options, trust issues, and opinions; I’ll address all those in no particular order.

Everybody defines comfort in their own way so if you’ve found a style that results in being armed more often than not, congratulations. Things that can affect comfort right away are having a good gun belt and a good holster. A good gun belt will be double-layered and/or reinforced heavy leather or nylon. The belt acts to spread the weight of the firearm and provide a secure means of holster attachment. A good holster is not cheap and can be leather, polymer, or a combination of the two. It should provide retention of the firearm AND lead to reduced chance of an ND while drawing and reholstering. Soft collapsible holsters don’t do that, as mentioned above, they actually increase the chance of an ND. So get a good belt and holster.

Trust. You seem to have a firearm you prefer but don’t care for the recoil of magnum loads. Ok, buy appropriate SD ammo in .38 Special. While you’re at it, pick up some speed loaders and carriers for them, so you can have at least the equivalent of 1x G17 mag’s worth of ammo on you. Then go practice shooting and reloading a lot so that you become proficient at it since you’re trading capacity for comfort. Every day, you can do 50 reps of draw, dry fire, reholster at home. At some point you will be able to do this without looking at the holster. That’s a real good way to define proficiency.

For your other problem about getting a finger sliced by a slide, that’s mist likely a grip issue. You don’t have the correct grip for the weapon and will need to fix that before anything else should even be addressed.

As for the full size/striker/hammer fired equation, I’d say just let sleeping dogs lie. Until your proficient with your preferred comfortable setup, you’re just tilting at windmills.

As for me, I carry a commander-sized double stack 9mm 1911 in condition one in a Tucker HF2 or Crossbreed IWB on a Crossbreed belt. While it’s not exactly as comfortable as being naked, it’s comfortable enough for all day carry in just about everything I do. Opposite side of the belt holds either a single or double mag carrier filled with 18-rounders. That setup turns the opposite side into a counterweight in the belt and really adds security.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I feel a quality belt and holster are a must. My first IWB holster was a Crossbred Supertuck. I carried a compact .40 and either sitting all day at a computer or driving 700 miles in a day, the holster was very comfortable. I have large hands and I found that a magazine with a pinky extension was much easier and comfortable to a archive a proper grip with. I also have a kydex holster that is comfortable in any position including appendix. I only carry quality pistols which are hammer fired and have a thumb safety ( what I grew up on ). Therefore, I have no qualms about carrying Mexican carry in a pinch.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Why is everyone enamored with carrying 900 rounds. I call it the spray and pray syndrome. Think back to the Ft Worth incident IIRC he fired 1 ONE round and stopped the shooter. One well placed round trumps 17 scattered everywhere and is a lot safer for everyone else around. Where you carry it and how is up to the individual. I carried for years just stuck in my waistband, no holster, nothing. IWB and the plastic fantastic stuff wasn't around then.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Why is everyone enamored with carrying 900 rounds. I call it the spray and pray syndrome. Think back to the Ft Worth incident IIRC he fired 1 ONE round and stopped the shooter. One well placed round trumps 17 scattered everywhere and is a lot safer for everyone else around. Where you carry it and how is up to the individual. I carried for years just stuck in my waistband, no holster, nothing. IWB and the plastic fantastic stuff wasn't around then.
    It's mainly the "expert trainers" that have sponsorships from ammo and gear companies that promote this.....as well as the 300rd break-in with your carry ammo....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    To the OP. I also carry a Taurus 605 in stainless steel with a Viridian laser grip in a Tucker Coverup Revolver Holster and I also carry appendix carry (about 1 o'clock). I also have a Stickyholstrer MD-5 holster when I have to pocket carry. Find a Tucker Coverup Revolver holster for a J frame if you can't wait to ahve one made for a Taurus 605 (about a 91 day lead time).

On carry ammo. .357 is brutal out of a 605, especially the polymer guns. You want to go with 38 SPL+P carry ammo. I was carrying Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain 38 SPL+P but ran out and am currently carrying Federal Punch Personal Defense 38 SPL+P 120 gr (I target shoot about once a week and fire the 5 carry rounds that have been in the revolver all week first then about 100 target hand loads to stay proficient). Defensive ammo is kind of hard to find right now but if you are gun show shopping, get there early and try to find a vendor that is not overcharging too bad. Good luck

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I've shot one .357 Magnum round out of my Ruger SP101, which is heavy tank of a revolver.

After pulling the trigger, my hand went from horizontal to completely vertical with a muzzle blast that was unpleasant even with double ear pro.

Weird thing (I guess) is, I always found shooting .45 ACP out of a 1911 a joy when others complain (sometimes) that it's too much...

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Carry OMC (old man carry).
    S&W Model 38, in a Sticky.
    Appendix or pocket, whichever suits the uniform of the day ...

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I do not appendix carry. Not so much because I had an appendectomy but rather because I suffer from the German/Irish curse and I'd rather not make it smaller by shooting any of it off. Seriously, I believe it to be a very poor choice of how to carry, even worse than small of back carry but that's just my opinion.

skpsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    McKinney
    I guess I'm here to talk about appendix carry and what I do and don't like and what ya'll do and think about what I do. So pretty much the one and only gun that I've really carried the last 2 years is a Taurus 605. It's 5rnd .357 with a Hogue grip in some cheap soft leather amazon holster. It is super comfortable and I forget about it. It moves with me, not against me. I carry it right about 12:30. Just to the right of the zipper, so I can still pee without undoing everything and the barrel doesn't hit my leg when I sit. Thing is, I hate the gun. .38 special isn't too bad in it, but .357 is just brutal, which I decided to carry... The trigger is very long and heavy and pinches my finger. The gun is so hard to get a grip on with 2 hands. I have no idea if I could shoot it one handed.

I have a M&P Bodyguard .380 but it's failed my little test before using for CC, 2 times. (light primer strike) I think it also pinched my finger and for sure was very hard to get a grip on. Since it's hammer fired, it would be a gun I would consider carrying, but it's got the same problems as the 605 and then failed my test 2 times. As the title says, I really don't like the idea of carrying a firearm that isn't hammer fired. I think I rule out SA hammer fired as well. I'm not sure if this is something I can learn to get over or not.

I've wasted too much money buying guns and holsters and them not working for me. Every setup I've tried in the 3-4 o clock area, moved against me and was very uncomfortable. I've carried my G17 appendix at every once in a while to remind myself why I don't do it... I like that the barrel is on my junk and not pointed at my junk, but I could probably get a G34 and it would go past my junk and not be a problem if I sit down. But the grip is a bit long. ...If I could get a G34 slide on a G19 frame, lol. But the problem I've noticed when appendix carrying a semi-auto is that the beavertail/back of slide jab up into my abdomen when I bend over and go to sit into my car.

I really want a setup that is comfortable and something I can actually shoot. But that is hammer fired? or maybe a way to get over my kinda trust issues of "if" my gun goes off, so does my junk/leg? I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I guess because it has a long trigger pull and a hammer, it's harder to pull the trigger all the way and I could possibly feel the hammer going up and stop it.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

I'm the same way. Just an added peace of mind for me. So for that I run the Springfield XDe 3.3". Hammer fired. Carry both appendix and 3/4 o'clock depending on the situation, but I have found it to be good for what I needed.

True Manufacturing

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    While I don't necessarily appendix carry, I have the same reservations about holstering a SA pistol.. Yea I know, I'm a weenie...

First off and I cannot emphasize this enough... GET RID OF THE CHEAP AMAZON HOLSER... One of the largest reasons for ND's are cheap holsters that can accidentally engage the trigger... Personally I use the Alien gear setup... The trigger guard is a hard plastic cavity that the trigger goes into and securely locks it in place and no chance of hitting the trigger.... Secondly and this is a personal thing... I only will carry a SA with a safety... I currently carry the S&W Shield... I simply insert my pistol into my holster and disengage the safety.. Now I am carrying with one in the pipe and ZERO safety.... All I have to do is pull and fire..

I'm fortunate to be one of the lucky ones here in CA who have a CC permit. My county is fairly friendly.

My carry gun is the same - an M&P Shield and to this day I still get weird about tucking it loaded right in the front. My mind becomes overrun with thoughts of an accidental discharge that rips into my right leg and opens up the artery and that's it - lights out.

Now i rarely carry IWB but I have a 5.11 bag I tuck it into pretty much everywhere I go. I realize it's not quick and has a number of other shortcomings...oh well

True Manufacturing

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    I do not appendix carry. Not so much because I had an appendectomy but rather because I suffer from the German/Irish curse and I'd rather not make it smaller by shooting any of it off. Seriously, I believe it to be a very poor choice of how to carry, even worse than small of back carry but that's just my opinion.

Carrying in th3 5-6 area has some advantages in certain situations. People would think you're reaching for your wallet or a phone, or may even ask you for those things. But ya probably too slow to access for most situations though

True Manufacturing

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    In regard to AD, it should also be mentioned that many SA pistols have trigger safeties as well - I'm sure you've seen how the trigger is split into two levers and one must be depressed before the other can be actuated. I suspect those help prevent the typical sort of snag and fire that people are afraid of. My M&P Shield came with this sort of trigger

Top Bottom