• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    After watching the video, it looks like a huge hassle compared to a propane powered heater.

Bozz10mm,

I've used a Coleman heater for over 3 decades W/O trouble or hassles for heating tents & blinds.

NOT everything on videos is fact..

yours, satx

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    older heaters are rugged, and will kill you. Better to get newer, like a Mr heater buddy, etc that have CO shut off built in. Less than $100, and mine is at least 15-20 years old, so they can be found used. But do not use the even older ones that have no CO protection. When it gets damn cold you will find smaller and smaller rooms to huddle in, less space-less air for combustion.
    That is why the heater from the shed or blind was never a problem, there was more air available. Not so much air in a tightly sealed bedroom. I used to have propane salamander that said "Do not use without a minimum 36"X36" outside opening"
    That one was about 250,000 BTU.
    I'm an old deisel Sub Sailor, we know a thing or two about BAD AIR! CO (what you get when a heater runs low on air) is the most insidious it makes you too stupid to realize what is happening. CO bonds to the O2 receptors in the blood. This does not release ANY oxygen to the body. The very first thing to start shutting down is the brain. You will NEVER know it is happening.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    older heaters are rugged, and will kill you. Better to get newer, like a Mr heater buddy, etc that have CO shut off built in. Less than $100, and mine is at least 15-20 years old, so they can be found used. But do not use the even older ones that have no CO protection. When it gets damn cold you will find smaller and smaller rooms to huddle in, less space-less air for combustion.
    That is why the heater from the shed or blind was never a problem, there was more air available. Not so much air in a tightly sealed bedroom. I used to have propane salamander that said "Do not use without a minimum 36"X36" outside opening"
    I'm an old deisel Sub Sailor, we know a thing or two about BAD AIR! CO (what you get when a heater runs low on air) is the most insidious it makes you too stupid to realize what is happening. CO bonds to the O2 receptors in the blood. This does not release ANY oxygen to the body. The very first thing to start shutting down is the brain. You will NEVER know it is happening.

Quoted for truth GOB.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’d like to think that all 6 windows open on my blind would be enough ventilation. I only close them while hunting if it’s gusting wind or pouring rain (but I don’t hunt in pouring rain often)
    I figure I can keep the heater, can of fuel, box of matches, and a box of baking soda in the blind. Baking soda being a cheap method to put out a potential fire...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

GOB; All,

As I said, the old-school Coleman heaters are CHEAP to buy, rugged, seldom break down, easily repairable by the owner if they need repair AND (as I've said at least 2-3X on this forum) completely UNSUITABLE & DANGEROUS to use in anyplace but a WELL-VENTILATED environment like a tent, hunting blind or other similar place.

Almost anything from a claw-hammer, pistol, chainsaw, car/PU truck or a jet airplane is DANGEROUS if used improperly, negligently or just FOOLISHLY.

Once more, CO/Carbon Monoxide is DEADLY, being tasteless, colorless & odorless. = MANY times every year, people become VERY ILL or KILL THEMSELVES by forgetting that FACT.

yours, satx

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Coleman continues to make gasoline lanterns, stoves, etc. They call them "Dual Fuel". You can use white gas or unleaded. Regular use with unleaded gums things up faster but is good in a pinch if that's all you got.

View attachment 247153

I just picked one up off a guy for $40 along with a dual fuel single stove. Only a couple years old
    4b625b56b256a76567113204583afd50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Propane heaters are MUCH easier to light and control. Any combustion source - lantern, heater, engine - will produce carbon monoxide and therefore require plenty of fresh air. Of course, if it's cold, that diminishes the effects of the heat somewhat. Most deer blinds I've been in were far too well ventilated! If the wind was blowing, it was hard to light a match inside.

LEDs have made the lanterns unwanted. Much easier to deal with and last a long, long time.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Propane heaters are MUCH easier to light and control. Any combustion source - lantern, heater, engine - will produce carbon monoxide and therefore require plenty of fresh air. Of course, if it's cold, that diminishes the effects of the heat somewhat. Most deer blinds I've been in were far too well ventilated! If the wind was blowing, it was hard to light a match inside.

LEDs have made the lanterns unwanted. Much easier to deal with and last a long, long time.

Fair points. I look at them the same way I do my guns. Redundancy in ammo selection is handy in a pinch. I have a lot of gasoline at the ranch but not so many batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom