• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Hermit friend of mine died in his not legal garage apt behind an old main house. When he didn't show for Thanksgiving as expected I went looking. Found him dead in his apt. More than a week. It wasn't pleasant even after the corpse clean up crew was done. Even in masks. IIRC it was demolished afterwards.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Only in El Paso Texas could some shit like that happen

Frank59,

FYI, Harris County has some TRULY weird crimes . = I once lived near Humble & had many friends in the HCSD, Constables offices & HPD. - Some of the things that they said would curl your hair.

yours, satx

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Agreed. This would require a hazmat cleanup crew. Afterall, human tissue is hazardous to humans. Who wudda thunk it? :D
    But seriously, the apartment complex is on the hook for a lot of cash to get this done "professionally" and "by law".

wild! there was a suicide next door to my friends house when we were kids. the guy was super obese and apparently the last time anyone saw, he stood up from a chair and snapped one of his legs. he got back from the hospital and went inside his house and lifted his top with a 38 spl. no one knew. and he was found 5 days later when the neighbor that shared a wall with him reported the smell.

my pal and i used to do odd jobs for the landlord for spending money all the time, the best pay we ever got out of that old man was removing and replacing the carpet, patching and painting the wall, and scrubbing the ceiling. this was about 2001 or 2002. we were in 7th grade. i think we got 120 bucks each.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    My first thought when I read blood was dripping from the fan was it was a juicing body.

I remember my first body, 2-weeks old, died late Oct so still plenty warm. He was naked and had bloated so one arm was kind of up and his skin was black and blistery. He was juicing pretty good. The stench was unique and powerful, it was like trying to inhale water, your body refused to let it in.

While I was writing it up, the ME arrived and when the body was moved to put it in a bag, it ruptured/popped. It was bad, still the worst smelling one I have been to. He lived alone and was a HEAVY drinker.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I was remodeling a house and the next door neighbor passed away and was undisturbed for 3 weeks. I thought it was a dead cat. The smell has to be the most putrid known to man.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The only thing worse to me is a burned body. That's a smell you will never forget.

Back in the day had a body, deceased for several days. The JP was called. He arrived, got out of his car, sniffed twice, and pronounced her dead. Got back in his car and left. The house was abt 50' from the sidewalk he pronounced her on.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Some folks have all the luck - a free blood bath.:rolleyes:

I'd almost certainly move out after that. I'd be a bit concerned I'd catch some evil disease from it. Probably less likely for her to catch anything communicable human disease because the body was decomposing and whatever the deceased may have had was very likely dead as well; yet, she could get a nasty infection from whatever bacteria were eating the corpse I suppose. At least it would not be AIDs, Hepatitis C or anything like that.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What gets me is that it came from a floor above. That means that floor needs to come out as well as the ceiling on her apartment. Then everything in between that can be replaced has to be taken out. Everything that can be scrubbed, like the joists, wiring, etc., needs to be scrubbed.

Since the fan threw the liquid all around the room, once the room is emptied it's not just a matter of scrubbing down the walls and calling it a day. At minimum, new carpet, scrubbing and sealing the walls. It would probably be easier to just have the entire room re-drywalled while they're replacing the ceiling.

And that's just the downstairs where the damage (spraying liquid) is obvious. Upstairs, if the stink managed to soak into the drywall you might as well start tearing it all out, too.

For a few years, my sis was a property manager with thousands of apartment units under her control. According to her, you do it right the first time (read that to mean: do a whole lot more than you think you really need to) or it will come back to bite you in the ass. It's not easy to to explain to renters, either potential or already moved in: "Oh, that slight smell? Well, somebody died in here 5 years ago and we half-assed the cleanup..."

Harry_Gorilla

Dis-Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2021
    Living on Airplanes
    huc1.gif

Top Bottom