• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Can a common AKM parts kit be used for the basic rifle? (receiver components but not barrel and components)

I see that the barrel breach end is 23mm and would fit a regular trunnion but would the rear sight, handguard retainer, gas block, front sight be a different ID as the barrel is longer/larger diameter than the AKM 16"?

Anyone built one?

IF the barrel components are different, can they be obtained or can AKM parts be severely modified?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Years ago I got a few AK barrels for under a hundred bucks each in cardboard tubes.
    I did not save the receipt so I don't remember where I got them so when I discovered one was YUGO M70 used barrel, I just put it away in the 'someday I'll look into it' box.
    DSC00127.JPG

I measured the diameters along the length and discovered it was a Yugo M70.
    The regular 16" barrels are OK but I want a 21" or 23".

Can't find barrel components anywhere.

Jrufolo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2019
    Addison, Texas
    Hi, check AK builder, they sell all kinds of AK related parts and have a good selection of barrels, they do go in and out of stock on a lot of things, but are always restocking or bringing in "new" items. I know a few guys that have built AKs and AK Builder was always their "go-to"

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Curtis Sebring sends me a conformation email everytime I buy something from them.
    Thanks for the link but they are on my list of suppliers.
    I just bought a Russian marked 80% receiver from AK Builder for another build.(I don't have a Russian marked kit in my inventory yet)

Last edited:

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I got my Yugo M70 parts kit for the 'flat-sided' stamped M70 AB2.

Kinda torn between finishing 'as-built' with underfolder with 16" barrel OR...

Getting a 21" barrel and changing the rear stock as a CLUB RPK type.(sniper-clone)

Decisions, decisions???

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I finally figured out my plan.

Yugo M70 kit with AK Builder 21.375" 7.62x39 Tabuk Sniper US Nitrided Barrel. (uses M70 barrel parts)

I bought a second 'slab-side' M70 AB1 (NOT M70 AB2) kit to build 'AS IS'.

One of the kits will be a 21" 'sniper' fixed stock even though it will have a grenade sight/cut-off.
    The other will be just a 'plain-O'-M70 AB1 underfolder.

Can't find Yugo marked (U,R,J) stamped steel receivers so it will be RE-MARKED or MIS-MARKED.

Just when I think I have all I need/want, I find another project variation?

xsefan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2022
    Whitney
    Arms of america in rock wall has kits and recievers Akbuilder has barrels. It's not an ar so it Wont magical put it self together but, its not that hard

xsefan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2022
    Whitney
    Buy the kit they will not go down in price. I paind 269 for my m72 kit. I haven't even seen one for sale on gunbroker.com! I have a buddy that wants an rpk he has dragged his feet so long kits are up $500!

Reactions: Eli

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    AOA has Romanian kits for $1199 + TAX
    They're not going to get any cheaper any time soon, most 'surplus' is going into Ukraine - hell, current production is going to Ukraine!

Eli
    Plus a BARREL, plus a RECEIVER, plus RIVET KIT, plus FCG ++++

Still gonna be more than I want to spend.(hell I still have firearms in my collection I haven't fired yet but I plan to get around to it!)

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I finished the receiver and got a 21" barrel that will accept the Yugo barrel parts. (no bayonet will fit)
    Drilled all the holes and found a rail for the left side. Now to decide what scope mount.

Kinda want an AK Master Mount but can't decide on the OMRB or the OMFL. (FULL LENGTH)

The FL will adjust to any 'eye relief' but I hope it will not interfere with the rear sight block.
    The OMRB might sit too far back for a scope but work OK for a 'red-dot' or something like that.

My goal is to 'modify' the 'grenade-sight' to just a lever to shut off the gas to the piston.
    Single shot but the suppressor will be a lot happier without gas escaping from the gas tube.

I can cycle like a bolt action for suppressed shooting.(no AK POP)

If anyone has either of the AK MASTER MOUNTS (or both) and can tell me if the full length fits OK I will get that one.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If anyone has either of the AK MASTER MOUNTS (or both) and can tell me if the full length fits OK I will get that one.
    Do you have the Yugo side rail or AKM? I have the full length Master Mount on a Romanian WASR 10/63 and it fits nice and tight and is low enough for me to see the irons. It doesn't go foward far enough to interfer with the rear leaf. I can take pictures of it this afternoon if you need them.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have the AKM mount and I used a 1mm stamped receiver because it is the NPAP Yugo 'flat-sided' trunion.

I actually bought 2 kits. (M70 AB1 underfolders)

One I plan to build 'as-is' and the other (21" barrel) already has a wood 'fixed-stock' club foot (unfinished) that I will stain to match the rest of the furniture.

A pic would be perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom