Join TexasGunTalk

I’m pulling the trigger

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by unicom, Feb 1, 2020.

1. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    I’m actually going to bet into reloading. Going to start with a Lee breach lock press set to start and the Hornady loading book. I think I want to start loading 300blk first In subsonic loads. Any thoughts or advice/ does and don’ts would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't shoot 300 BO but the Lee or Lyman books are much better than the Hornady book.

jordanmills, Rhino, no2gates and 2 others like this.
  3. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Thanks for the info

4. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Plus 1 on the Lee book.
    Along with a bunch of "do its", it tells you a bunch of "don'ts". And it explains why for a lot of them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TxStetson likes this.
  5. Lost Spurs

Lost Spurs Active Member

Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I started the same way. I got into reloading with a hornady lock and load single stage. It was back in 2012 /2013 when one of the ammo crunches was going on. It was actually specifically for 300blk as I was heavy on my usual calibers and had just got my first can.

I picked up 500 converted 5.56 brass from a forum, 500 208 Amax and a bunch of A1608 powder. After some reading and utube videos I just jumped in head first. Started weak and built up a perfect subsonic load for my 8 inch AR with the Specwar 762 can. It was actually fairly satisfying.

I have now accumulated the bits to load .45 and .308 (have not actually loaded them). When I burn through the 200 6mm creedmoor factory loads I have, I will start loading that as it will be be go to fun round this summer.

Just do it. I also have more than one reloading manual...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Bradmartin78 likes this.
  6. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I've had great luck with RCBS. If there is an issue, they will send you parts, etc. free of charge.

roadapple and just country like this.
  7. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Lyman publishes the best manual, IMO. Lee's book is not a bad choice, either. Lots of data online, but until you get some experience, get online data ONLY from the powder company websites. If you do get data elsewhere, always double check it against a reliable, known source.

8. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    If you want consistent subsonic, segregate 300BLK brass from converted 223. The case volume deltas with 223 brass really shows up in subsonic variation. 300BLK brass will be much tighter and make dialing in a load without unwanted supersonic pops.

1680 or CFE BLK are great powders for subsonic but they lose ground to H110 in supersonic loads where you start having compression issues due to the volume they require. Heavier bullets are generally easier to work with for subs but you can make cheap 147s work.

jordanmills likes this.
  9. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Thanks for all the great info

10. just country

just country Active Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, the youtube has vast amounts of intel
    on vast calibers. a person I know used his BO for
    hogs and varmint. has a can on the end. I favor
    long barrels on my rifles. that's me. I wonder
    what a 6.5mm or a 7MM BO would be like??
    why not?? justme gbot tum