• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Looks like I need to run a test on our CX9. Our other two autos are old school key, and the Mazda is the only push button start we own.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Didn't know that, my vehicles are old school.

But once they shut it off, it won't start again, right?
    Exactly.

It's all software controlled, so someone with the right tools and knowledge could in theory alter how things work. There's a lot of functionality hidden just under the surface that most people will never even notice. Like my Charger will refuse to move if you open the door with the car in gear. It literally puts the transmission in neutral and applies the brakes. It'll also deny a shift out of Park if the door is already open. A little inconvenient trying to drive up with the ramps when I'm doing an oil change. Would suck if you got caught nappin' at a light and a carjacker yanked open your door. But, there's also software that auto-locks the doors after you drive for a short distance. It's intended as a safety feature because someone left the car in gear and got out, driving over themself. There's Toyota's software change because they screwed up the electronic throttle, and it can fail into a WOT state. Folks burned through their brakes and died. That also prompted VW group to introduce a software change that prevents large throttle applications if the brakes are applied. All of this trying to fix the real problem, which is the loose nut between the steering wheel and seat.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I have one of those 'devices' to 'log codes' but it's limited in real-world application. It's hard to describe in a post, so <frantic googling> ... here ya go:
    RollJam attack

Newer systems are just now coming out that use a more sophisticated data exchange between your key fob and that vehicle. These systems use a PKI infrastructure, not unlike a military CAC card when used in contactless mode. The added benefit is they can also give/sell you features like using your smartphone as your car key. That will prevent attacks like the one above.

But, the old addage always applies - if you have physical access, you have access. If someone wants your vehicle, and they can get to it, they can take it.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Keep your key fobs in a faraday cage! A metal mint can works, as do the zillion products sold for just that purpose. I keep the fob in a can at home (no theft problems out here in the hills), because constant communications with the vehicle run down the fobs battery.

Top Bottom