• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    So what if you got one? Well...? Anyway, there's this rumor going round that it's CCP supported plot by North Korea to undermine the Western economy by attacking successful Free South Korean auto industry and American people... kinda like they are to ones manufacturing over half the candy coated illegal fentanyl killing our children.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So what if you got one? Well...? Anyway, there's this rumor going round that it's CCP supported plot by North Korea to undermine the Western economy by attacking successful Free South Korean auto industry and American people... kinda like they are to ones manufacturing over half the candy coated illegal fentanyl killing our children.

So you heard the rumors also LOL

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Kid has one. It's true, they're pretty old school with their electronics. Almost as straight forward as hotwiring the coil and jumping the starter solenoid on an older Ford.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Eh, transponders can be defeated. Push buttons can be defeated even easier with a little bit of tech. Thieves broke into my anti-theft equipped Chevy and managed not to set the alarm off. I had to show the responding cop that 1.) the car automatically locks itself and arms the security system when it detects the key fob has moved out of range and that 2.) the damn alarm goes off when the door is opened and not unlocked using the key fob. I used my lockout tools to unlock the vehicle from the inside button and open the door - alarm went off as soon as the door popped. I reset the alarm, walked 10 feet from the car, the locks cycled and beeped to tell me the system was armed. He had insisted that I "just forgot to lock it"

A thief using a skimmer / relay box can hijack the signal and transmit it and get into a car easy enough. My car was one of over a dozen that was broken into in a few block long stretch in my neighborhood. They cleaned out a bunch of vehicles fast. They stole a damned AR lower I had in the trunk - I got it back - it was THE only thing I got back, it was found in the trunk of a junk car taken to a U-Pull-It lot. The U Pull It people called the po po and I got my lower back. They obviously had no idea WTF to do with it - so they emptied a bottle of super glue into the trigger. That was fun to clean out but I eventually got it all cleaned off.

Its crazy how easy a lot of vehicles are to break into quickly, and with the right knowledge or tools, you can steal 'em right quick. Chrysler sedans are easy to break into. The old PT Cruisers were stupid easy. Ford trucks are easy to break into. On the flip side - some model year Honda Accords (and thus Accura TLX) were a real bastard to open even for real locksmiths, and I once had a battle with an early 2000's Toyota programmed to automatically instantly relock itself unless it was unlocked with the keyfob. Talk about a hair puller :roflsmile:

Some BMW's have a button that must be depressed in the center of their dash in order to unlock using a reach tool.

There isn't really a car out there that cannot be broken into and stolen by a criminal with the right tools and knowledge. The numbers may have changed some in recent years, but just a few years ago, one in four cars that were stolen were taken with tow trucks (not talking repos or impounds either) - almost no one thinks twice when they see a tow truck backing up to a car. They're usually just glad it's not theirs!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's true, they're pretty old school with their electronics.
    That's a good thing.

A thief using a skimmer / relay box can hijack the signal and transmit it and get into a car easy enough.

There isn't really a car out there that cannot be broken into and stolen by a criminal with the right tools and knowledge.
    yep and yep

In europe it's popular to put a lockbox around your OBD port as that is a common attack vector over there.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio

A lot of security cameras where I live record kids using these devices. They have some that are powerful enough to have one device next to your vehicle and the signal reaches inside your home. Keys on the island? Hanging on a key ring in the hall? On your nightstand? Etc. They’re able to unlock your car and if it’s push button, start it and drive away. Wife parks in the garage and my spot is a workshop so I park outside. Luckily I drive an unattractive older model vehicle that nobody wants to waste their time with.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Old school kill switch to the starter solenoid is all it takes. A thief wants to get in and out fast. He‘s not going to pop the hood or crawl around underneath the car to jumper the terminals. Besides, with the cramped engine compartments and splash shields running under modern cars, doubtful a thief would even be able to get to the starter without a substantial effort.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No. Once the vehicle is started and (depending on make/model) put in gear, no further checks are made. Safety issue for if/when the legitimate owner has a dead battery in the key fob, for instance.
    Didn't know that, my vehicles are old school.

But once they shut it off, it won't start again, right?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom