Join TexasGunTalk

Hydroxychloroquine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by avvidclif, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:40 AM.

1. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Never even heard of it before the rona.
    Was asking the question seriously.
    Why would someone be so adamant about not taking it.
    Didn't really get an answer.

HKaltwasser likes this.
  2. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I like Quinine from the 'fever tree' bark (the original Malaria drug) in a 'tonic' especially with some Gin or Tequila.(with a squeeze of Lime)

3. sidebite252

sidebite252 Well-Known

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Ok I’ll give y’all the best answer I can. As stated I took it once a week while working in a few different countries in Africa back in the late 80’s / early 90’s. We took it once a week while on our 28 day hitch. I did not take it on my 28 days off. I had no ill effect to my knowledge and I never contracted malaria (but no one else on those jobs did either and not everyone took it).

As far as now, I’d take it if a doctor (that I trust) prescribed it to me. I don’t know what else I can say. I’m not a doctor and I don’t play one on TV. I’m not taking it on my own for anything and as far as I’m concerned the data on it and it’s relevance to Covid is all over the map. Maybe we will see more clarity one way or another soon. Part of this whole process I guess but as stated, as far as me wanting to take it as a self prescribed measure to prevent or treat Covid? I’ll pass.

oldguy, Low_Speed and ZX9RCAM like this.
  4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thank you.
    I was just curious if you had experienced side effects, or something, due to the fact you were so adamant about not taking it again.

MacZC7 and sidebite252 like this.
  5. mnpshooter

mnpshooter Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    For all those who are still buying the media scare tactics about “how deadly HCQ is” read this. It is from an article about HCQ use with RA.
    Does Hydroxychloroquine Have Side Effects?
    Like all medications, there is the risk of side effects. Fortunately, the problems seen by people taking this medication are usually very mild. Serious side effects are rare. Overall, most people who have any noticeable side effects from hydroxychloroquine experience diarrhea or nausea. These usually get better after the person adjusts to the medication, and taking the drug with food can help, as well. Additionally, some people experience anemia and vision changes or even vision loss, but this is quite rare. It’s more commonly seen with high doses for long periods, in older people, and in those who have kidney problems.”
    https://www.rheumatoidarthritis.org/treatment/hydroxychloroquine/

6. sidebite252

sidebite252 Well-Known

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Yes sir. Not a single side effect was my experience. We good. Carry on

MacZC7 and ZX9RCAM like this.
  7. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    Nevermind. You answered my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidebite252 likes this.
  8. mm54943

mm54943 Member TGT Supporter

May 7, 2020
    Fresno, TX
  9. gasgas

gasgas New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    The demons are real they have always been around
    This Doctor is very good, and her patients are getting well

my wife takes hydroxychloroquine for lupus
    And no terrible side effects
    And no chinavirus

MacZC7, 308nato and GoPappy like this.
  10. wiredgeorge

wiredgeorge Active Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    My wife and I and our kids while I was stationed for 3 1/2 years in India to prevent malaria. It isn't likely that folks in CONUS will encounter malaria as much as in places like India. The issue of the effectiveness of the drug became a political football when Trump admitted taking it. Then the Dems and their surrogates foo-foo'd the use of the stuff and even became aggressive saying that folk's brains would explode or something.

FDA published this:
    "Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are both FDA-approved to treat or prevent malaria. Hydroxychloroquine is also approved to treat autoimmune conditions such as chronic discoid lupus erythematosus, systemic lupus erythematosus in adults, and rheumatoid arthritis. Both drugs have been prescribed for years to help patients with these debilitating, or even deadly, diseases, and FDA has determined that these drugs are safe and effective when used for these diseases in accordance with their FDA-approved labeling. Of note, FDA approved products may be prescribed by physicians for off-label uses if they determine it is appropriate for treating their patients, including during COVID."

I truly feel we would all have been better off if the politicos had not used the pandemic as a political jousting event. Did Trump drop the ball? Would Unkle Joe have saved the day?

308nato and mbschne like this.