• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Alright. Last night was uncomfortable without A/C but thankfully, temps dropped into the low 70s. I started the A/C back up at 8am, and it was running fine all morning, naturally

I called an HVAC outfit here at 8am and the technician showed at noon. He checked things out - drain line was clear, coolant level is good, and the capacitor is fine.

The only thing he found was that the fan motor was drawing 103 amps (max rating is 95, normal is about 75). He suspects that it's overheating and shutting down. He could not state authoritatively that replacing the fan motor would (about $1000 with labor and warranty) solve the issue, so I'll keep an eye on it and use it a bit more sparingly for now.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions!
    The compressor might take 103 amps, but no way a fan is drawing that much power, unless it's got a direct short, in which case you'd have melted the insulator on those wires going to it.
    Guns International

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    some of the outdoor units have a DC drive fan motor, they have a extra module on them to convert AC to DC , those are high $
    Most trane and almost all units have at least a 5 year parts warranty, and IF you register a new unit with the MFG then you get a 10 year parts warranty
    Post the serial number or PM me and I can check warranty on most units

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Alright, now you guys have me worried. The technician could not be sure it was a fan motor issue and he may have set or read his multi-meter incorrectly.

I checked and have the 10yr. extended warranty, so parts would be covered. I called Trane to see if the claim of 103 amp draw was possible, but the customer service rep could not answer, so she referred me to the local Trane dealer (Tiger Services near the airport).

Needless to say, the A/C has not cut out since yesterday so I'll wait to see if it happens again this week.]

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's easy enough to answer....check the ampacity rating of the breaker servicing that unit....I've never seen a residential HVAC breaker THAT size. You didn't have a "technician" - you had an idiot that was given tools, no training - and told to go sell something. WAY too much of that crap going on right now.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    When I had that problem it turned out that the capacitor was completely stuffed full of thousands of electrocuted fire ants. You might double-check it, since it sounds like your repair guy was just angling to sell you an overpriced repair.

Tamlibtoim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2016
    Texas (Bay Area)
    Hey there just caught this thread…. HVAC tech here 20+ years experience. Not possible for your condenser fan to run at 103 amps. Could he have meant 1.03? Very possibly overheating if bearings wearing and unit over amping. The motor has a thermal protective device that “opens” when the motor gets too hot. If your fan was not running, can you tell if your compressor was still running? That is a major key to determine the problem. If compressor was still running and the fan was not then i would definitely be suspicious of fan motor failure. Since you have warranty check if it’s Parts only or parts & labor. Either way should be minimal cost to you. Hope this helps.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    The breaker is on a 35 amp circuit; the guy must have seen 1.03 as suggested and misread it (accidentally or intentionally).

He couldn't guarantee that replacing the fan motor would fix the problem, and I am glad I demurred

The A/C has been running fine since Tuesday, but if if happens again Trane gave me the name of their dealer here in SA.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The breaker is on a 35 amp circuit; the guy must have seen 1.03 as suggested and misread it (accidentally or intentionally).

He couldn't guarantee that replacing the fan motor would fix the problem, and I am glad I demurred

The A/C has been running fine since Tuesday, but if if happens again Trane gave me the name of their dealer here in SA.
    Damn decimal makes all the difference.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The fan motor stopped running on my ac today. The compressor was running so I turned the fan blades and fan began running. Sound like a bad capacitor? I'm guessing this is the problem since it runs once the blade are moved.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve used compressed air, followed by shop vac then finis he it off with vinegar through the line. This was about 5 years ago and no issues since. I don’t know if it was bacteria, algae or what, but what came out of the line was nasty. It looked just like oatmeal

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I ordered a capacitor from Amazon which is scheduled for delivery by 10PM today. Once the temperature reaches an uncomfortable level, I can start the fan by turning the blades. Fortunately, the compressor and contactor are good so this isn't an expensive repair.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I used Grainer weekly during the years I worked for Sunoco. They could have the capacitor by next friday at over twice the price of amazon.

My experience with Grainger is polar opposite compared with to yours.
    Caps are $10-15 everywhere.
    They had what I needed in stock.

When the blower motor failed, Grainger had it in stock for $5 more than having Amazon ship it. I didn’t feel particularly ripped-off, but that’s me.

I don’t use them all the time, usually when I’m in a pinch…sometimes they come thru with a great price and in stock, sometimes they don’t. But I think it pays to shop around.
    4B46466D-6A0D-4631-A705-9E08A6417543.png

68302BFD-B76C-4624-A39D-E303713B378A.png

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    It seemed the Grainger locations I used in Nashville, Knoxville Atlanta and Chicago frequently didn't have the items I would need on the shelf but could deliver them in 2-3 days. I wasn't concerned about price as much as getting a part when I needed it. Most of their employees were good to work with however.

Sunoco and the fuel terminals I serviced usually required exact replacements or it would require approvals to substitute parts.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom