Target Sports

Hunting out of state. Where do you store the guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Don't forget, we had a sherriff vehicle broken into and guns stolen while they were eating.
    Pretty freaking brazen...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Texas plates in Wyoming during hunting season is something thieves would cue in on. A truck, a 4X4 truck and a car all send different messages to thieves. Be sure to remove any hunting related items from the truck & watch what bumper sticker you have on it.
    Perhaps, but I still don't think the risk is any higher than leaving them unattended back in the hotel room.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Even if its just locked in your room a locked vehicle is less secure.
    That depends on the circumstances of the gun being locked in your vehicle versus your room. If you leave a gun in a room it may seem to be more secure to you than leaving it in your trunk while your car is parked in a restaurant parking lot but I have done it before and just made certain to be seated where I can watch my car. I've also been known to chain my firearms within the trunk to make them somewhat more difficult to steal. Leaving them in your room leaves them open to theft by lodge employees, to anyone should a maid forget to secure your room (if you have maid service) and to any opportunistic thief who watches your comings and goings at the lodge. It is much easier to watch a hotel for who comes and goes than it is to follow a vehicle from the hotel to wherever in anticipation of a burglary. Neither is an excellent way to secure a gun but sometimes depending on the circumstances either one can be better than the other.

Before getting to the lodge/motel, inquire to ask if they have a secure storage area for firearms. Even if they do not have a safe that can fit rifles or shotguns, they may have a secure storage room. In such a case it would be best to have your firearm in a locking case, unloaded, no ammo at all in the case, with a lock that secures the trigger or action in place.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom