• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    I've asked the hunters I know and they all look at me like I have an extra nose on my face. Those guys all hunt on leases.

Where's the good public hunting grounds around the DFW? I don't expect to find any in downtown Dallas or anything but, there must be something. TPWD lists some in Denton and some in other neighboring counties. Are they any good?

I'm after hog and maybe deer. Rabbits and squirrel are also fun. Gun hunting preferred, even if shotgun only. Dove seems popular.

And what's up with the hog? I hear so many complaints that you'd think they'd pay me to shoot them but, no.
    Guns International

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    decatur national geasslands, crockett national forest near palestine texas, lake whitney, and you can register for draws on public lands all over the state. My nephew has been lucky and twice has hunted just this side of Richland Chambers Creek Lake.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    Get the annual public hunt permit and they send you a book of maps, there is lots of property to hunt depending on what you want to hunt.
    The National grasslands in Decatur is ok, restricted to shotgun only.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Most of the walk on public land near the DFW area is up north towards Denton. You can get maps etc from the TPWD, and a booklet when you buy your licenses. I've not heard of anyone taking hog on public land, but it would seem there should be some there. A lot of those tracts have gun restrictions, probably because some are only 40-50 acres. It's all in the booklet and at the TPWD website.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Rabies, my nephew is one of those type that could shoot a deer in down town Ft. Worth. He shot a nice twelve point last year and this year he concentrated on culling inferior deer. And in the spirit of this thread Grapevine Lake just asked hunters to come and shoot hogs. The hogs are tearing up the landscape.I believe it is also shotgun only, but close to metroplex and easily access.

Sniper John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas
    I've asked the hunters ......Where's the good public hunting grounds around the DFW? ....

Add the Corps lands to what has already been posted and that's about it.

http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/pubdata/ops/recnres/HUNTGUIDE09-10final.pdf

Now realize your asking about the limited public land available near one of the most populated cities in the country. It all is over hunted and with non migratory game you will have to scout to find the pockets of game. Hogs are a great opportunity, but most areas are going to be Archery only. The hunting pressure does turn them nocturnal on much of the public land also. It generally gets better on public areas related to the farther out your drive.
    Good luck!

Sniper John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas
    Even less opportunities that DFW which can make the hunting pressure even worse, but research the links given already and look at the ones nearest you.
    The secret to public land hunting is to scout for some areas that look promising for what your hunting and then go often.

hard shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    bertram
    georgetown lake has land to hunt on, lake granger has land to hunt on, and spicewood has land around it to hunt on that is if you want to drive for over hour just off 71,in spicewood that land is in the public land permit book from t.p.w.d. , florence has a small parcel of land in that area in the book, that land produced so many birds they limit how many hunters goes on it

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I need to get out and snoop around some of this land, figure out when and where will be good for the upcoming season...

I would still be just as happy hunting Coyotes, or those pesky Hogs....

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    800 General Hunting permits will be issued for Hogs, Squirrel, Rabbits, Dove and Turkey. First come -first serve permits will be issued to applicants with a properly filled out Grapevine General Hunting Application. Applications will be accepted and permits will be issued from June 1st 2010 until the last permit out of the 800 is issued. All applications can be submitted in person to 110 Fairway Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday excluding federal holidays. Applications can be obtained at the Grapevine Lake Office or on the web beginning May 26, 2010.

Muzzleloaders: No
    Crossbows: per TPWD guidelines and restrictions.
    Special Restrictions:
      • Deer and feral hog hunting are by archery only.
      • Shotguns using #3 or smaller shot may be used during appropriate turkey seasons.
      • All waterfowl hunters are required to be in or on the water while hunting waterfowl. “In or on the water” is defined as being at least six (6) feet into the water from the shoreline, either wading, in a floating blind, or in a boat. Shore-based blinds are not permitted.
    this is fromt he grapevine lake site.
    are they fudging the rules becasue of the problem with the hogs?

Top Bottom