• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    In thinking of getting my hunters education course online is it the same as taking the class in person or has any one gotten theirs online
    Capitol Armory ad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Much better and easier to just do it in person.

Not only better and easier, but required. There is no way to sit at your computer and take the entire class. It is mandatory that you show up and pass the field portion.

TPWD: Hunter Education Home Study Packet

Do you know if you can use any type of rifle for the field day

I don't know that. I was not able to find a list of things to bring to the course under the FAQ's either. You may have to call and check with an instructor.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    If you go with the on-line version you will have to take a copy of your scores from the internet with you to the field portion of your classes.
    Call around and find a class that will allow you to jump into their field day (usually most hold them on Sunday).
    TPWD: Hunter Education
    Ask them if you need to bring a firearm, but I think most of them would like you to have a .22 if it's required at all.
    Many classes don't require you to bring a firearm for the field portion - you're not actually going hunting.
    It's just firearm safety in the field to make sure you understand the basic concept of how NOT to shoot someone.
    Many instructors like to limit the number of firearms for this portion of the course or even use dummy firearms for safety reasons.

But really I'm in the camp of take the full course - The cost is the same, it's not any cheaper - It's more fun - you get to ask questions - you get to hear questions of others answered.
    I had taken my hunter safety as a kid in MN, which is valid in Texas, and never expires, but it's been many years since I took it. I had my son take the on-line course to prep. Then both of us sat thru the entire two day course. It's well worth it.
    Why short cut safety?

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    The only hunter education I got was when my dad gave me a .22 and said come back with something dead, 30 minutes later came strolling back with that damn gopher that had been terrorizing our vegetable garden bang right through the left eye.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The only hunter education I got was when my dad gave me a .22 and said come back with something dead
    That's the same hunters education I got. Apparently TX requires you to carry proof you completed hunters education. I hope you stuffed that gopher and carry it around with you.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    That's the same hunters education I got. Apparently TX requires you to carry proof you completed hunters education. I hope you stuffed that gopher and carry it around with you.

If you call the TPWD, they can attach it to your DL# so when you get your next hunting license, the proof of hunters edu is on your actual license.

Top Bottom