• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For very dry instrument compressed air, dessicant dryers are sometimes used in combination with refrigerated air dryers. There are two dessicant chambers that switch functions. One is drying the compressed air while the other is heated to "recharge" it. A timer switches the chambers from operation to recharge cycles.

Flash

Kenny D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Crosby, Texas
    I picked up some dissectant at walmart that comes in a little blue bowl. It is made by airBoss and is classified as a closet de-humidifier. It has a layer of dissectant at the top and the moisture it traps can be seen at the bottom. When the level of water rises up so high, just toss it out and replace with a new bowl. I found it in the closet/storage isle. 3 bucks a pop. Works like a charm in my safe.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I picked up some dissectant at walmart that comes in a little blue bowl. It is made by airBoss and is classified as a closet de-humidifier. It has a layer of dissectant at the top and the moisture it traps can be seen at the bottom. When the level of water rises up so high, just toss it out and replace with a new bowl. I found it in the closet/storage isle. 3 bucks a pop. Works like a charm in my safe.

Agreed, I've used these too. They really suck up the moisture in your safe. And you can see them working by the amount of water in the bowl.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    For very dry instrument compressed air, dessicant dryers are sometimes used in combination with refrigerated air dryers. There are two dessicant chambers that switch functions. One is drying the compressed air while the other is heated to "recharge" it. A timer switches the chambers from operation to recharge cycles.

Flash

Add a charge of molecular sieves and you've got some very dry air.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    These little desiccant packs come with most everything we buy now days, from shoe boxes to medicine bottles, and from linens to our firearms. I toss them in a small re-sealable container that I dump into my safes each time it gets full.

My safes are also inside the house in conditioned spaces, but I’ve never had any problems with any rust.

C3F11F37-C8FF-4ECE-8398-B4453569B227.jpeg

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I’ve used a Golden Rod for the last 7 years in the safe in the garage here in humid, humid Florida.
    They work great.

Reactions: gll

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I have my safe in an insulated back room of my garage. I have a Golden Rod to raise the temperature a bit above ambient. In addition I use an Arm and Hammer Moisture remover and change it out when it fills. The combo seems to work well.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    This may be covered already in this very old thread.
    Is your safe fireproof? I have used some smaller business safes that had water jackets on the interior walls. Sometimes if the safe was not opened for a couple of days the currency and papers within would feel damp. Just using the door once a day would stop the dampness.
    I know I'd never store a gun in one.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I use a product called DampRid Moisture Absorber that I get at Dollar general
    and you can see how it works with the crystals on top and the moisture collects on the bottom.
    When it is full just dump it and replace with a fresh one.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 64 gun safe which, when purchased, I put a qt. container of Desiccant.
    The can's contents have never changed color or appeared damp.
    I recently bought a hygrometer, & it states the humidity is ~70% which I believe is
    higher than desired.
    Anybody have any experience or recommendations?

Marine equipment suppliers often stock electric dehumidifiers for use in "closed" boat cabins during storage.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Marine equipment suppliers often stock electric dehumidifiers for use in "closed" boat cabins during storage.

Thanks.
    In the 8 or so years since I posted this, I have bought a goldenrod.

ETA: For some reason I only got a notification of this last post.

Top Bottom