• ...and so much more!
  • Luk007

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2022
    The Woodlands TX
    Howdy!
    We just moved to the north eastern part of the Woodlands (Sterling Ridge).
    After a detour, we are finally home. I’m Swiss by birth and Texan by heart - yes, we Swiss are used to have guns at home
    Thanks for having me in the Lone Star State, the beautiful Republic of Texas and in this forum.
    Looking forward to make some new friends and find some range buddies.
    -Lukas
    Military Camp

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    L007,

Welcome!

When did the Swiss stop taking home their guns?

PS, I loved Switzerland, but found it odd that it seemed to be the most militant country I've ever been in, i.e., low flying fighter jets thundering all day long, big ole deuce and a halfs full of soldiers, etc.

Has this military presence and activity stopped also?

Luk007

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2022
    The Woodlands TX
    Welcome, I'm just down 1488 a ways from you. Check out Saddle River Range when you get settled in, its a fun place to shoot.

Thank You!
    SRR is where I usually go, if we can call it "usual" after a very short time. Definitely a fun place, indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luk007

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2022
    The Woodlands TX
    L007,

Welcome!

When did the Swiss stop taking home their guns?

PS, I loved Switzerland, but found it odd that it seemed to be the most militant country I've ever been in, i.e., low flying fighter jets thundering all day long, big ole deuce and a halfs full of soldiers, etc.

Has this military presence and activity stopped also?

We actually never stopped taking our guns home but they now provide the option to leave them in the armory. The Swiss militia is full of traditions given Switzerland was surrounded from other force. This is why there are (or maybe were) yearly qualification requirements for shooting and refresher service every 2 year.

I guess the perceived presence of military comes with the small country and the many barrack locations. The military presence has been reduced in the last 20 years, still, you have 120k uniformed military in a area of greater Houston (20 years back 200k to 400k).

I would compare Switzerland more with a military town here in the US; there you will equally see uniformed personal and low flying fighter jets. If you are in one of the Swiss towns that hosts the military barracks, special for for the basic service, you be there during the 18 weeks basic training and one of the military airfield is close (I think there are only 4), yes, you will see the military everywhere and hear the jets screaming. In cities like Zurich, Bern, Basel or Geneva, where the Swiss live and work, you won't have that experience (not today nor 20 or 40 years ago). If you are in the center of Switzerland, the mountains and other tourist areas, this is where the military trains; mountains and other rural places is what was part of the National Redoubt, the defense plan after WW2 and still part of the tradition.

I could probably go on for much more. In case you are interested in more background on the why. Have a look at the following wikipedia links, they are pretty accurate:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom