• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    This isn't going to be a super technical review. More like, this is how I do my stuff, read further at your own risk. Caveat emptor.

So I bought this rife used off of a well-known guy on snipershide, supposedly with less than 200 rounds through it. It came with 1 mag and a 20 moa (I believe it's 20 moa. I mic'ed front and rear, and it drops almost 1/8", which comes out to, I think, 19.82 MOA- but that's using my oilfield formulas, so if anything is off, it's probably between my ears) scope base.

20" rifle, chambered in 6.5 Grendel. Seller replaced the stock with this one...don't know which one it is, but I like it. With shipping I paid less tha $400.

I then bought, received and mounted yesterday, an Athlon Argos 8-34x56 BTR. I paid $265 w/the rings- rings were advertised as Vortex, but I believe they are knockoff/fakes. Either way, mounted it about 5 minutes after my dogs quit barking at the UPS guy.

I like used stuff. I feel like I can do a lot more stuff buying used...and with Athlon, there's good piece of mind in that they have a lifetime warranty, not conditional upon being original owner or having a receipt, etc.

Anyway, to the shooting.

First sat down at the 50 yard line to make sure I could get on paper. Fired a 3 shot string, Texas WAGg'ED 16 clicks down, 14 left, and moved over to the 100 yard line.

Brass was mixed head stamp, converted 7.62x39, IMR 8208 XBR, 123gr Sierra HPBT, over CCI small rifle primers. All brass was wet tumbled, dried in the sun on a towel, lubed, and then sized from 7.62 to 6.5mm. Yes, I convert(neck/deprime in 1 step... haters gonna' hate). After I size them, I don't clean them again or anything: I just prime, load, and go.

The horrible 26.5gr group was 100% my fault: I kept flinching, even though this thing doesn't kick. SMH

The trigger pull is pretty sweet. Not full custom, $2000+ rifle sweet, but way better than a stock glock or cheap 1911 sweet, for sure.

Process: Fire one 5 round group. Pick up brass, load mag, drink some water...tried to take 5 minutes between groups.

Next step, I'm going to load some 130gr noslers and take this to 200 yards. If the first few groups are good there, I'll go to 500 yards and see what she'll do.

My original plan was to immediately rebarrel this in 24 or 26 inch, but this shoots so good so far that I'm tentatively rethinking that.
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• IMG_1231.JPG
      IMG_1231.JPG
      791.9 KB · Views: 331
    • IMG_1232.JPG
      IMG_1232.JPG
      909.1 KB · Views: 339
    • IMG_1233.JPG
      IMG_1233.JPG
      829.5 KB · Views: 325
    • IMG_1234.JPG
      IMG_1234.JPG
      1.3 MB · Views: 352
    • IMG_1210.JPG
      IMG_1210.JPG
      1.7 MB · Views: 406
    • IMG_1211.JPG
      IMG_1211.JPG
      1.6 MB · Views: 321
    • IMG_1236.JPG
      IMG_1236.JPG
      1.5 MB · Views: 326

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks for the write up - Frankly, from what I've been reading over on the Grendel forum, that's not too surprising. Nice groups. No thanks to you, a Howa mini has now moved up my "I NEED THAT" list.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Looks like a good start to a fun build to me. Are there any markings on the recoil pad? Is that a laminate stock? That could be a Boyd's stock, in my humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Which range is that? How far out does it go?

Good shooting too.
    Nice rifle.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Looks like a good start to a fun build to me. Are there any markings on the recoil pad? Is that a laminate stock? That could be a Boyd's stock, in my humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nailed it! Never even looked at the recoil pad from the rear until I read your questions. It's a boyds

Thanks for the write up - Frankly, from what I've been reading over on the Grendel forum, that's not too surprising. Nice groups. No thanks to you, a Howa mini has now moved up my "I NEED THAT" list.

My job is done here. Mic drop.

Which range is that? How far out does it go?

Good shooting too.
    Nice rifle.

San Angelo Gun Club. $117 (a bit cheaper for active duty and retired military) a year for 24 hour access, no other fees.
    Copied and added some from our website:

100 yd : Includes 25; 40; 50; 75 & 100 yd Ranges
    300 yd : Includes 100; 200; & 300 yd Ranges
    500 yd : Includes 200; 300; 400; 500; 500 + yd Ranges (You can actually put up targets, and shoot at almost 800 yards here but you have to put up your own stand and shoot from the parking area edge for this range, but lots of guys do it, and it's allowed as long as the other shooters at that time are good with it) A 900 yard official range is in the works.
    Action Areas:
    15 Bays - 10-25 yd
    1 Bays - 50 yd
    2 Large Bays
    3 more 100 yard bays under construction.
    -------------------------
    I really can't say enough good things about our club. Non-profit. Not stuffy. The volunteers (there are NO paid positions) are all good people, and our leadership peeps are all active firearms competitors. Besides putting in a lot of hours working physically out there, they do stuff like get local business to cut us amazing deals on any work we have to contract out. Our fence and gate systems were quoted at between $60k and 90k first time around. Our VP went to one of them and worked out a $21k price (which his foreman told me barely, maybe covers materials), and 5 lifetime memberships (those are normally $900) and let them put up signs out there for as long as we're using their gate/fence.

The porta potties are through a member's company, and they charge us about 36% of their normal rates.

They really take after my own heart in some ways: They treat the club's money like it's their invalid grandma's dough, and make sure that every penny is accounted for and spent on truly necessary/beneficial stuff. ANYONE can go to the monthly meetings and offer input, suggestions, or criticisms. A local gun store donates meeting space for free in their classroom.

For the money, I honestly think this is the best gun range/club I've ever even heard of. No, there is no running water, and the bathrooms are porta potties, but they do get swapped out every week. There's no store or 'pro'shop, etc...but it's $117 a YEAR! Who cares? Low overhead keeps prices low for everyone.

Here's some pics:

http://www.sanangelogunclub.org/photoGalleries/index/our-range-photos

Anyone who ever wants to check it out, hit me up and we'll figure out a time to go shooting out there.

Attachments

• IMG_1238.JPG
      IMG_1238.JPG
      1 MB · Views: 259

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Warning - Offtopic
    I hope this thread drift will be brief.
    For the money, I honestly think this is the best gun range/club I've ever even heard of.
    Looking at your link and I see...
    Handguns specifically designed for hunting or long distance competition shooting may be used on the Precision ranges when fired from a rest or a supported position.
    ...which is good. However, I'm a little confused when I try to combine the posted regs with the range descriptions. Specifically, does the club have a range which allows formal, old-fashioned pistol bullseye shooting, i.e. off-hand at 50 yards?

Back Ontopic

Thanks for the write-up. I'm a fan of the mini-Mauser rifles. I have one in 7.62x39 and when I want to shoot a CF bolt gun, it's the one I reach for.

You've done the same to me as you did to robertc. :)

(Yeah, I know. It's OOC bait. I'm just wondering who'll bite.)

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Warning - Offtopic
    I hope this thread drift will be brief.

Looking at your link and I see...
    ...which is good. However, I'm a little confused when I try to combine the posted regs with the range descriptions. Specifically, does the club have a range which allows formal, old-fashioned pistol bullseye shooting, i.e. off-hand at 50 yards?

(Yeah, I know. It's OOC bait. I'm just wondering who'll bite.)

Yes. They specifically state in the yearly orientation (required, either in person or online) that those posted rules are to stop people from randomly plinking at long ranges with open sight pistols. They specifically mention bullseye, as well as scoped handgun shooting as exceptions.

They liekwise say that if you can safely keep it on target, you can shoot any weapon on the rifle ranges, but they don't want people 'lobbing and walking' random guessed fire in to a target to try and minimize ricochets and creating an environment that turns into the wild wild south side of chicago on a saturday night. If you're on any of the rifle ranges and you are acting a fool, or just don't know what you're doing, and aren't hitting any of the berms behind the targets, eventually one of the range officers will offer to help you figure out what's going on...and if that doesn't work, they'll eventually kick you out.

And, the 50 yard bay has about a 10, 12' high berm behind it, and you can shoot any legal weapon there, too.

They don't allow any exploding stuff, like tannerite, ground targets (like the orange balls and stuff you throw on the ground), or 'improvised' targets like appliances or boxes, anywhere on the ranges.

Overall, for less than $10 a month (amortized) I think it's about the best value in a gun club, just about anywhere I've ever heard of.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks. Good to know.

Now I need to add another entry to my "Potential places to move if my family situation changes" list. Seriously, the proximity to a good gun club is one of my highest criteria.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Seriously, the proximity to a good gun club is one of my highest criteria.
    Isn’t that always a big concern? And time to go, but that doesn’t apply to all.

I’ve been looking at other employment opportunities, and yes, one thing I have been checking is the ranges close by. A place to drive my Jeep would also be nice.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Angelo is a great area in many ways... but if you need a job, it can be hard here. Population is right about 100k, but there don't seem to be anywhere nearly enough local, good, jobs.

If you have investment money, local rental market is an owners one. Angelo State university, and Howard college are both here, and Goodfellow afb, which is a joint services training base for crypto, linguists, and firefighting.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Anybody know what happened to Keith Woods aka "Bearded Trader". He appraised estate guns, bought and sold as well....in Angelo
    Haven't seen any sign of him for a long time.....

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    So the Grendel in a bolt gun. Just to have or specific purpose? I know it’s been a popular AR platform round recently.

I’ve wanted a Mossberg MVP in 300BLK, myself.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    And Field and Streams gun store.

I like Field and Stream, but I've been a The Outdoorsman customer for over 20 years. They've been here a lot longer and have zero affiliation with non-local ownership.

Also, the Texas Gun Shop is pretty awesome. If you haven't been in a few years, they moved locations, trippled or quadrupled sq footage, and now have the biggest selection of suppressors within about 200-250 miles. The owner, Ken, and his wife and son are almost always there, and are as helpful as can be.

Dunno whether field N stream or the Texas gun shop have more reloading stuff, but between the 2 you can find just about anything you might need. TGS definitely has more reloading press accessories, shell holders, depriming pins, etc, that you can run out of at inopportune moments when you don't want to wait for shipping. ANd his prices are reasonable.

So the Grendel in a bolt gun. Just to have or specific purpose? I know it’s been a popular AR platform round recently.

I first got an AR in grendel... liked it so much I just wanted a bolt gun. I will likely use the ar for hogs, really don't have a specific use for the grendel in mind... but likely I'll end up shooting some coyotes, eventually with it... maybe...

This Howa was really mostly for fun, I guess. O

I've played with a mossy mvp, and personally I didn't much like the action, but the longer barrel option sure is appealing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

The Grendel is a great round. Very mild recoil, kills hogs thoroughly (look at DoubleNaughtSpy's videos on here). It is a pretty good long distance cartridge with the right bullet. I want the Howa because I've already got a Grendel AR. It's pretty good in an AR15 platform, because the only different part is the bolt - and the mags unless you're poor-boying it, and it packs a lot more punch downrange than 5.56. We've had the arguments about it and the 6.8 SPC on here, and both are good rounds, I just like the long distance aspect of the Grendel.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I'm down for a 6.8spc vs 6.5 G interwebz war. (I purposely typed 'spc' in lowercase, just to show my disdain and instigate a little)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I like Field and Stream, but I've been a The Outdoorsman customer for over 20 years. They've been here a lot longer and have zero affiliation with non-local ownership.

Also, the Texas Gun Shop is pretty awesome. If you haven't been in a few years, they moved locations, trippled or quadrupled sq footage, and now have the biggest selection of suppressors within about 200-250 miles. The owner, Ken, and his wife and son are almost always there, and are as helpful as can be.

Dunno whether field N stream or the Texas gun shop have more reloading stuff, but between the 2 you can find just about anything you might need. TGS definitely has more reloading press accessories, shell holders, depriming pins, etc, that you can run out of at inopportune moments when you don't want to wait for shipping. ANd his prices are reasonable.

I first got an AR in grendel... liked it so much I just wanted a bolt gun. I will likely use the ar for hogs, really don't have a specific use for the grendel in mind... but likely I'll end up shooting some coyotes, eventually with it... maybe...

This Howa was really mostly for fun, I guess. O

I've played with a mossy mvp, and personally I didn't much like the action, but the longer barrel option sure is appealing.
    I'll vouch for Texas Gun Shop. It's been a couple of years, but they we're as good as any mom and pop I've ever set foot in.

Top Bottom