Venture Surplus ad

How to lubricate an AR to make it AK reliable!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    For many years, castor oil was used in everything from aircraft, to race cars, to 2-cycle bikes (still is these days) because of it's high film strength.
    Down side is it gums up everything, turns into contact cement, and nearly impossible to get off.
    After reading about Frog Lube gumming up weapons, I have my suspicions that it has castor oil in it.

I gave up on it many years ago due to this issue, but then someone came out with a synthetic 2-cycle oil that has the same film strength, but doesn't turn into gum. Use it in my 100cc, 20,000+ rpm kart engines.
    Will try a little on an AR next range trip.
    In fact, since it's made for mixing with a solvent (gasoline or methanol), it could be used to make home brew CLP.

Oh goody, I can play mad scientist again.
    596a28d39f7cadd85a1f5c60ef9f5ad6.gif

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    For many years, castor oil was used in everything from aircraft, to race cars, to 2-cycle bikes (still is these days) because of it's high film strength.
    Down side is it gums up everything, turns into contact cement, and nearly impossible to get off.
    After reading about Frog Lube gumming up weapons, I have my suspicions that it has castor oil in it.

I gave up on it many years ago due to this issue, but then someone came out with a synthetic 2-cycle oil that has the same film strength, but doesn't turn into gum. Use it in my 100cc, 20,000+ rpm kart engines.
    Will try a little on an AR next range trip.
    In fact, since it's made for mixing with a solvent (gasoline or methanol), it could be used to make home brew CLP.

Oh goody, I can play mad scientist again.
    596a28d39f7cadd85a1f5c60ef9f5ad6.gif

It's been awhile since i read into it, but iirc i read that frog lube was food grade conveyor belt dressing.

Castor oil works well in cold environments, frog lube however does extremely poorly in cold weather, so i doubt there's any relation.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I took this pic at our swat range. They mix it up in bulk and keep it at the weapons cleaning station. It works fine.
    8072d561f6b97b097ed4e95f28bc0b5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    I think I would rather use bacon fat and put up with the nitrates & salt in it,
    than anything with ATF in it.
    Can't stand the smell of ATF.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Slip-2000 grease has Milcom beat on max temp by 300° (750 vs. 450).
    Have heard good things about both, but no actual test data on either.
    Would use either instead of any home brew containing ATF...
    In fact, would use Crisco before any ATF wet dream.

000117085-1

Could lube your weapon, and cook with the same lube.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Slip-2000 grease has Milcom beat on max temp by 300° (750 vs. 450).
    Have heard good things about both, but no actual test data on either.
    Would use either instead of any home brew containing ATF...
    In fact, would use Crisco before any ATF wet dream.

000117085-1

Could lube your weapon, and cook with the same lube.
    I've got both Slip 200 EWG and Milcom TW25 B. The only issue I have with the Milcom is that it separates and have to shake the tube before use.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I judge a topic based on number of views and quality memes and shade thrown back and forth. This one has done well over the years. Many seem to agree that lubrication of AR-15 platform rifles is a must. Run the gun wet. After experiencing several feed/extraction/ejection issues on my rifle suspect lack of or improper lube is at issue. I checked out these gun channels explaining where to lube and they have their recommendations on best lube.

Besides which is the best lube and/or grease (meme welcome), really what are critical places to put the lube in your opinion. Any objections to where to lube the gun from these channels. For future reference I have created a YouTube playlist of these vids and others so click here to find them. I will add more as I come across them.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I judge a topic based on number of views and quality memes and shade thrown back and forth. This one has done well over the years. Many seem to agree that lubrication of AR-15 platform rifles is a must. Run the gun wet. After experiencing several feed/extraction/ejection issues on my rifle suspect lack of or improper lube is at issue. I checked out these gun channels explaining where to lube and they have their recommendations on best lube.

Besides which is the best lube and/or grease (meme welcome), really what are critical places to put the lube in your opinion. Any objections to where to lube the gun from these channels. For future reference I have created a YouTube playlist of these vids and others so click here to find them. I will add more as I come across them.

I like to use duck fat. Peruse/Pilfer your local Chinese restaurant's dumpster after they close and pick out the leftovers. Melt them down and EUREKA!, AR lube.

Top Bottom