Texas SOT

How to get into competitive shooting in Houston?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    Looking to get into competitive pistol shooting .
    Don't know where to start.
    Or where i could practice ?
    Any of you guys partake?
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Precision? Action? Revolver? Glock-only? Silhouette? Air? Cowboy Action? Black Powder?

There are far too many options in the Houston area. You need to tell us what sort of pistol shooting you want to do.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    Precision? Action? Revolver? Glock-only? Silhouette? Air? Cowboy Action? Black Powder?

There are far too many options in the Houston area. You need to tell us what sort of pistol shooting you want to do.

Honestly not sure what to call it ..

I own several semi auto pistols in 9mm and 45.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The previous post was me being too glib. Let me start over.
    Looking to get into competitive pistol shooting.
    Good for you. If you find something you like, you're on your way to lots of fun and camaraderie.
    Don't know where to start.
    That's all right. In the beginning, none of had the slightest idea. You've come to a good place to ask for help.
    Or where i could practice ?
    If you're in the Spring area and a beginner, the basics are easily practiced at any of the indoor ranges close to you. Spring Guns and Ammo in on Spring Cypress. So is Texas Tactical, just a bit closer to I45.

As for competitions at SGA, you're right. Years ago, they used to have league shoots and GSSF indoor shoots. I haven't seen them advertise anything like that in quite a while.

The Shiloh IDPA link provided by Dred looks good.
    Any of you guys partake?
    I'm sure many of the folks on TGT do so. You'll probably run into them along your path to competitive pistol nirvana.
    I own several semi auto pistols in 9mm and 45.
    Are any of them Glocks?

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    The previous post was me being too glib. Let me start over.Good for you. If you find something you like, you're on your way to lots of fun and camaraderie.That's all right. In the beginning, none of had the slightest idea. You've come to a good place to ask for help.If you're in the Spring area and a beginner, the basics are easily practiced at any of the indoor ranges close to you. Spring Guns and Ammo in on Spring Cypress. So is Texas Tactical, just a bit closer to I45.

As for competitions at SGA, you're right. Years ago, they used to have league shoots and GSSF indoor shoots. I haven't seen them advertise anything like that in quite a while.

The Shiloh IDPA link provided by Dred looks good.I'm sure many of the folks on TGT do so. You'll probably run into them along your path to competitive pistol nirvana.
    Are any of them Glocks?

One, but i already missed the GSSF events this year, there might be one left.

Not new to shooting , but never competed. So looking for a range where "competitive shooting " can be practiced. I'm not one to just show up and sign up to see how it's done.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Check out “AREA 59” outside Rosenberg. Look for them on Facebook.

Try the “Open Carry Challenge,” it’s geared for newer USPSA shooters. You will need a holster suitable for IDPA or USPSA and a mag holder. You’ll need five mags for the pistol you’ll use. I use a Comp-Tac “international” holster and mag pouches.

For the pistol: Think “Glock 19” size or so.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    Check out “AREA 59” outside Rosenberg. Look for them on Facebook.

Try the “Open Carry Challenge,” it’s geared for newer USPSA shooters. You will need a holster suitable for IDPA or USPSA and a mag holder. You’ll need five mags for the pistol you’ll use. I use a Comp-Tac “international” holster and mag pouches.

For the pistol: Think “Glock 19” size or so.

So say CZpo1? Cz 10pc? Better off to go with 9mm?

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Most people shoot 9 mm. Some shoot .22

I have seen some people shoot .40 or .45.

USPSA takes a ton of rounds. IDPA or Steel Challenge will not be quite as many rounds. It adds up quick.

Some of the targets are pretty far away, so using a kinda short barreled pistol isn’t going to do you any favors. I tend to use our Glock 34.

Some people have really fancy sights but we don’t. Maybe a fiber optic front sight is the best we have.

I’m so sorry but I am such a “Glock Girl” that I don’t know anything about those other pistols you mentioned.

I never practice competition much at a range. I just go shoot a match. It’s like $25, we just go.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    Most people shoot 9 mm. Some shoot .22

I have seen some people shoot .40 or .45.

USPSA takes a ton of rounds. IDPA or Steel Challenge will not be quite as many rounds. It adds up quick.

Some of the targets are pretty far away, so using a kinda short barreled pistol isn’t going to do you any favors. I tend to use our Glock 34.

Some people have really fancy sights but we don’t. Maybe a fiber optic front sight is the best we have.

I’m so sorry but I am such a “Glock Girl” that I don’t know anything about those other pistols you mentioned.

I never practice competition much at a range. I just go shoot a match. It’s like $25, we just go.

I have no issues with Glocks.
    The CZ p10c is Czs version of a Glock 19. A CZ p01 is the same size as a Glock 19 however with an alloy frame and a DA/SA trigger.
    In full size i have a Sig Sauer P226 Elite SAO RX , CZ Sp01 , And a Springfield 1911 Loaded Long Beach Operator [.45]

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    My kid used to go to practice once a week at a private range where they had steel set up. They would practice the stages for steel challenge. This was for “select” teams competing in State Steel Challenge matches. It was really fun.

Not sure where you could set up steel and have someone run a shot timer.

I DO think that if you are serious about competing one of the newer apps to help with dry firing might be an advantage?

This is one of my kid’s best runs.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    My kid used to go to practice once a week at a private range where they had steel set up. They would practice the stages for steel challenge. This was for “select” teams competing in State Steel Challenge matches. It was really fun.

Not sure where you could set up steel and have someone run a shot timer.

I DO think that if you are serious about competing one of the newer apps to help with dry firing might be an advantage?

This is one of my kid’s best runs.

Very cool ! I am very serious.
    I started the process last year , and then found i had cataracts in my right eye and had surgery to remove it and a lens implant done on my right eye.
    Im just getting back to where i was before and have a lot more work to do, but it is something i really want to do. Appreciate the help and advise.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    https://uspsa.org/find-a-club?

http://www.shilohidpa.com

http://westhoustonshootersclub.com/

http://txipsc.net/

I have been shooting idpa and/or uspsa or ipsc for a bunch of years.

Your easiest/fastest route is going to be to find all of the ranges within your desired/comfortable driving distance and keep track of all of their events... in most of texas, if you're willing to drive about 50-75 miles, you could easily shoot at least 1 match per weekend- although I don't know about houston specifically, that last one has a pretty densely populated map when you click on 'Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches "

Any or all 3 of the pistols you listed will be fine... My suggestion, which goes against what many might say, is that if you can afford the holsters and ammo pouches and ammo, shoot as many classes as you can... Some matches I shoot Single Stack, Limited, and PCC, so I get to run all stages 3 times. Costs a bit more, but I like pulling triggers, and I figure the more guns and the more times I do that stuff, the better overall I'll be.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Hence the post, Wanting to find one semi close to me in Spring.
    Thanks for the link , i will check them out.
    Greenwood is too far away.

Pearland shooting club would be closer but they are hard to join. You CAN go to matches without being a member though!

Top Bottom