• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Millennials can't, unless it's texting or Facebook. Answer an email asking a question? Probably not. Answer an email asking two questions? Probably not; it it's answered, you'll be lucky to get an answer to one question.

Quite the broad brush you’re painting with there.

Of course bitching about the younger generation is a tale as old as time.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    One can always count on kyletxria1911a to put things in perspective!

Had a neighbor whose marriage was falling apart. Both of them were like 40 going on 14. When they finally decided to officially split, he moved in with his girlfriend. A few days later he found out that she was also his boss's girlfriend, and his boss fired him when he found out. I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing at the time: How the hell did he not figure that out before he moved in?

Before the divorce, he was out late drinking with his buddies and when he got home he just curled up on the couch instead of waking his wife and listening to her bitch. She got up around 3 a.m., found him on the couch, and assumed he had just got in. She quietly tied him up and then commenced to beating the hell out of him with a baseball bat. Next day, he was bruised and hung over, but they were all lovey dovey again. It was kinda fun living across from them.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Millennials can't, unless it's texting or Facebook. Answer an email asking a question? Probably not. Answer an email asking two questions? Probably not; it it's answered, you'll be lucky to get an answer to one question.
    I was born in 1981. So, I missed the mark by a year. I communicate better than a lot of folks I've encountered.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have to disagree with the OP just a bit. I followed the "rules" during all of my working years and I watched others do the same. While in theory it is the best way to go, in the real world things don't work that way. WHO you know is 10,000 times more important than WHAT you know. I've seen some of the most worthless, crooked, and slimy people get promoted and survive layoffs and reorganizations.

BTW, I irritated the hell out of the president of a company I worked for when he asked me how I thought the reorganization was going. I replied that "reorganization" implied that we were ever organized in any real fashion in the first place, and clearly that wasn't true. The "reorg" he mentioned didn't change a damn thing that anyone was doing, it just shifted the chairs around. I think it's safe to add a rule that says: "People in management do not like to have their rose-colored glasses broken." They like to think everything they do or say is golden and perfect. Many times they are completely full of s**t. Don't tell them that. Even if it means that they are going to destroy their own lives with it, just nod and pretend like it's good.

We once told 2 directors that a third director in their business unit was doing something illegal. An engineer involved in it was ecstatic, saying that finally justice will prevail. I warned him that the outcome might not go that way. Sure enough, the 2 directors didn't get the third one fired; they used it as leverage to get some funding away from his group and into theirs. Corporate politics are as crooked as government politics.

Here's another bit of wisdom: "If you see the company (or a manager in the company) screw someone over, you can bet with 100% certainty that eventually they will screw you over as well."

And another: "Human Resources exists to protect the corporate officers. Trust them as far as you can throw a piano."

Finally, there is NO LOYALTY in any company in the 21st century. They don't care what you did yesterday or what you are doing today. Your job depends on what they think you will be doing for them tomorrow. Coming in early and staying late will not protect your job. Yes, come in on time and don't leave until it's time, but don't think for a second that anyone in HR or management gives a crap about what extra you did.

You'll never get rich working for someone else.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Don't be a smart-ass, or know it all.
    Show respect, to earn respect.
    Learn to do a job right the first time.
    Do a job as quick as possible, as to the best of your abilities. Don't drag a 15 minute job into taking an hour.

ME: I bitch at the chain of "command" (even the owner, he needs the wake up call) when they fail to do the job that they are supposed to do. For example, this morning a key item was not staged for today's installation. At 8 am I get a call "why did you not take product line item today", me "it was not staged with my materials", them "why didn't you look for it", me " I do not work in the warehouse (40K sq ft), I do not know where it is kept, and it is NOT my job to stage my materials", them "blah blah blah", me "Go talk to the **** ups who took off early yesterday to leave for deer season and didn't complete their work"

covers having no respect for the **** ups or lousy management.

I do my job correctly and have the least number of call-backs, I continually have to go behind others and fix their screw-ups and handle customer care because the other employees are incapable of being the least bit tactful. I guess that is why I get the shitty jobs, **** ups are always rewarded.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    When I worked as an Estimator / Construction Consultant I learned to tell people the things they did NOT want to hear. I do NOT care if I hurt your feelings by letting you know you are an idiot and incompetent. One of my pet peeves relates to when the office personnel does not get information such as gate codes, lockbox codes or contact information for clients or their contractors and your work order tells you to contact the aforementioned person if there are issues.
    Telling clients when the contractor they have used to install something is wrong, today, went out to install a semi-custom front door, while waiting for the client to show, walked the property, a barndominium, rear double door unit (outswing type) was installed opening into the living area, while the cover (roof) was pretty large, a gusting blowing rain would have reached the door unit, and since it was installed wrong, allowed water to penetrate. After talking to the homeowner a while and he, having stated they were using a highly rated builder/general contractor, I informed him about the door unit being installed incorrectly. In this instance he was happy someone pointed it out, his GC, not so much.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm not a show early-leave late guy. That chit for the birds.
    Yep, heroic effort holds companies back from growing and causes lots of other issues. If it can't get done with normal work hours then your process is broken, you over-promised and underbid, or you're working on the wrong thing.
    1. Show up early
    2. Keep your mouth shut
    3. Do what you're told
    That's fine advice for your first job ever, but doing #2 and #3 is a sure way to never advance past lower management.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Yep, heroic effort holds companies back from growing and causes lots of other issues. If it can't get done with normal work hours then your process is broken, you over-promised and underbid, or you're working on the wrong thing.

That's fine advice for your first job ever, but doing #2 and #3 is a sure way to never advance past lower management.
    Totally disagree. I should have written my first post with more clarity. The jobs I had in my teens were NOT desk jobs in offices with AC and secretaries, etc. There were outside on construction sites and I was probably around fourteen years of age.
    Actually, NOT doing number two and/or three would probably be the action (or "Non Action" that gets one fired.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Yeah I left the 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior shit back in the Army. Of course I make my own hours now, so work starts when I show up and that is generally 6am, because I don't like working past 2pm. Kissing ass and sucking up never got me anything but more bitch work for shit pay. Never volunteer for anything unless it comes with extra pay.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ...jobs I had in my teens...
    Actually, NOT doing number two and/or three would probably be the action (or "Non Action" that gets one fired.
    Right, which is why I said "fine advice for your first job". As a junior employee you need to follow your superiors, but as you advance in your career not speaking up and just doing what you're told very quickly stifles your growth.

When you become a senior team member, lead, low level manager, or whatever it might be called in your industry... you have to start practicing decision making and process improvement skills, otherwise you'll never get past being that low level manager. Of course there are companies that will promote yes men to high levels, but they always suffer from it.

Last edited:

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Don't assume people you work with are true friends. When I was younger we had a group of guys who used to go for drinks after work. We discovered one guy always went to the boss and told him what everyone was saying, I guess thinking being a snitch would further his career.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom