How often do you need a motorcycle inspected? Can you decat?

Ducati

Gym, Tan, Laundry
BANNED!!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jul 6, 2021
San Diego
Pretty sure there are no smog/emissions tests in TX for motorcycles. Can you change the header pipe on a bike to one that doesn't have a catalytic converter, or will you encounter issues when/if you need a state inspection for registration renewal?

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sep 14, 2017
Anna
like lonstardiver said, the *only* things they check for is if it has a horn, lights, and tires. Burned out bulb on the drive there? they'll fail you. Decent reason to fail you but that'd be some pretty bad luck.

I have no issues with bikes removing cats, but just do your research on how to delete the O2 sensors; sometimes the engine will run worse without it.

Grumps21

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apr 28, 2021
Houston
I’m in Harris county, and we are an emissions county. Motorcycles though are exempt from any emission testing. It’s strictly a safety inspection - test your lights, signals and beep the horn. I go to a regular car mechanic for the inspection and they spend more time locating the VIN than the inspection process takes.

mroper

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jun 7, 2011
Katy, TX
The hardest part for the Motorcycle inspection guy is finding the Tag with the gross weight on it. My bike never had Cat's or emission stuff on it 2004 model year

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sep 14, 2017
Anna
The hardest part for the Motorcycle inspection guy is finding the Tag with the gross weight on it. My bike never had Cat's or emission stuff on it 2004 model year
Haha that reminds me; I took my bike to a kwik kar oil change here in Anna and the tech asked me straight faced how much my bike weighed. I replied "off the top of my head i'm not sure, does it make a difference or can I make a guess?". I tried to google the GVWR before another tech found the tag for him. I'm guessing if your bike is too heavy its classified as something else?

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 15, 2019
Texas
Haha that reminds me; I took my bike to a kwik kar oil change here in Anna and the tech asked me straight faced how much my bike weighed. I replied "off the top of my head i'm not sure, does it make a difference or can I make a guess?". I tried to google the GVWR before another tech found the tag for him. I'm guessing if your bike is too heavy its classified as something else?
Honestly, I don't even know how that would apply. I was certified in the state of Texas to do motor vehicle and DOT inspections for many years, and the only certification I didn't have was for motorcycles and mopeds.

In years past when I owned street bikes, I took mine to one of the motorcycle dealers for the inspection. They simply checked all the lights, the horn, tires, brakes, ect, and then rode it about a block to do a brake check, and slapped a sticker on it.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud

Forum statistics