DK Firearms

How Much Do You Pay for Internet Service?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LinuxAssailant

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Soon to be Texan
    If you have T-mobile cell service, once can get UNLIMITED, UNCAPPED T-mobile Hotspots that do about 25-37Mbps in 5g areas for around $50/month.
    No sure about other providers. for uncapped, and I think T-mobile is doing this for pseudo-rural (near a HWY w/cell service) homes.
    Guns International

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Two of the dirty secrets: 1) If you threaten to change service, many will reduce the cost. 2) They can "open up" the speed (as much as twice as fast) at no additional charge for the same reason - Charter is notorious for limiting the bandwidth until you threaten to change service.

One problem many of us deal with is a dearth of options once you get so many miles out of town. For example, in Abilene, there is Pioneer, AT&T, and a couple of others. As a result, there is competition for price, speed, and service.

Once you get so far out of town, the options become Westex Connect and Kinetics (formerly Windstream) which really means ONE option. Do not even try Kinetics unless you have no other options as it is expensive, slow, and unreliable. On top of that, they charge a rental fee for the modem. You can buy your own modem but if you do, you are entirely on your own when it comes to hooking up and troubleshooting.

We have had Westex Connect for 3-4 years and I can only remember a couple of outages. They are prompt, courteous, and, mostly, local.

Finally, when Verizon was transitioning to Pioneer, I read up on it. Two issues stood out: almost impossible to drop service and their customer service is chaotic at best. The upshot about Pioneer is: good luck.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Two of the dirty secrets: 1) If you threaten to change service, many will reduce the cost. 2) They can "open up" the speed (as much as twice as fast) at no additional charge for the same reason - Charter is notorious for limiting the bandwidth until you threaten to change service.

One problem many of us deal with is a dearth of options once you get so many miles out of town. For example, in Abilene, there is Pioneer, AT&T, and a couple of others. As a result, there is competition for price, speed, and service.

Once you get so far out of town, the options become Westex Connect and Kinetics (formerly Windstream) which really means ONE option. Do not even try Kinetics unless you have no other options as it is expensive, slow, and unreliable. On top of that, they charge a rental fee for the modem. You can buy your own modem but if you do, you are entirely on your own when it comes to hooking up and troubleshooting.

We have had Westex Connect for 3-4 years and I can only remember a couple of outages. They are prompt, courteous, and, mostly, local.

Finally, when Verizon was transitioning to Pioneer, I read up on it. Two issues stood out: almost impossible to drop service and their customer service is chaotic at best. The upshot about Pioneer is: good luck.
    Have you tried Taylor co-op’s fiber? They got out to me about a year ago. Haven’t had a noticeable outage in that time and I get 500 mbps up and down for about $50 per month.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Where I am there are 2 choices, Comcast and Satellite. Comcast is 1-2 MB Down unlimited data. Satellite is 12MB Down 25GB/month. Pick your poison each is abt $60/m + Taxes. Come on Coop.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Been using cellular hotspot here. Supposedly ATT has wired internet, but when I looked into it, my neighbors all said it was crap. This week there has been major service interruptions. Last week I broke down and ordered a HomeLTE router from Verizon, its $50 a month - 25Mbps is the stated speed. I just got the router today - been streaming Cobra Kai for the last couple hours without interruption. Seems worth it to me - there's no data cap with the home LTE vs the 15 gig / month with phone hotspot.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have Sparklight, I pay $66.37 per month for Internet. I do not have cable TV or a landline. That is for 350GB (was 300 but now says 350 - just checked) of data at 100MPS download speeds and 10MPS upload speed. Called them yesterday wanting to get a cable box, they told me their locations are closed and they are not doing any service calls to homes due to COVID. So, I said I have all the hookups from when I previously had their cable service. I asked him to ship me a cable box/remote - the guy was dumbfounded that anyone would or could do that and of course he refused saying again they could not service homes due to COVID. Definitely an arsehat extraordinaire was he.

Last edited:

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I dont.
    Dont have a comp at the casa.
    My work computer does and my smart devices allow all the access I need w/o need for internet.

So I gave it up at home about 6 yrs ago.
    No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    My fiber optic internet comes from the electric co-op. I pay $49.99/month for 500 Mbps up and down with no data limits or throttling. I used to have Suddenlink's 1Gig service which started out pretty good. We never got anywhere close to a Gig but in the beginning it was pretty quick. All the neighbors complained about shitty internet that got worse every time someone else signed up for Suddenlink. Once I wasn't the newest house on Suddenlink anymore, our internet was horrible. Extremely slow and unreliable connectivity and then the price increases started.
    LOL! And suddenlink wants you sign up for land line and mobile service. Not likely!

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Sign up for Starlink beta. High speed satellite based Ethernet is not that far away. They have very cool phased array antenna.
    $500.00 for the equipment.

FerdinandIV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2021
    Waxahachie, TX
    I've got fiber through Spectrum north of Waxahachie, it's bundled with phone and TV and it's about $200 a month, but my work reimburses me for $130 of it. They're kinda unreliable where I am, but that's because I'm at the end of the reach for a drop. Still I get pretty good speeds. I average 930Mbps down, 55Mbps up with ~10 Ping.

Top Bottom