• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    isn't the standard military loadout still 200 rds?

Depends. For an M16/M4 variant, 7x 30rd mags for 210rds is a combat load. A Garrison load may be 4x 30rd mags.

The M9 was three mags, I *think* the M17 is same, but that was after my time.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    This is a commonly asked question, how much is ammo is enough? Springfield Amory wrote up an article on this and even featured Magholder, let us know what you think below.

<>

Usually 2 mags in GALCO belt holders or in OY6 Kydex holders. Occasionally one in a MagHolder horizontal carrier & a 2nd in pocket.

Many of us travel; see below.

I just noticed this in the TSA regs:
    • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
    and:

• Firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition must be completely and securely enclosing any ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder or holster).
    Note that in decades of doing this, I have found that local ‘’interpretations’’ and the OFFICIAL written details may vary considerably.

I would consider that the MagHolder devices would suffice; but that is only my opinion.

When traveling on commercial air carriers, I carry copies of both the official TSA regs and the printed policies of the individual. airline.

<>

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I have flown more than I care to admit, and my choice of airlines is Southwest, because they are the easiest to deal with. I walk up to the check-in I quietly state I need to claim a firearm. They always move me to another check-in and verify that my gun and ammunition are separate. I have had the ammo in the original boxes, plastic reloader boxes and loaded magazines in plastic boxes. None has been an issue. I also have the gun in a locked case. They always ask me to open the case to verify the gun is unloaded. I always have the gun slide locked back and if I am carrying a revolver the cylinder is open with a wood dowel through one of the bores to prevent it from closing, Yes this seems like overkill, but I have never had a problem having a gun in my check-in luggage.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I have flown more than I care to admit, and my choice of airlines is Southwest, because they are the easiest to deal with. I walk up to the check-in I quietly state I need to claim a firearm. They always move me to another check-in and verify that my gun and ammunition are separate. I have had the ammo in the original boxes, plastic reloader boxes and loaded magazines in plastic boxes. None has been an issue. I also have the gun in a locked case. They always ask me to open the case to verify the gun is unloaded. I always have the gun slide locked back and if I am carrying a revolver the cylinder is open with a wood dowel through one of the bores to prevent it from closing, Yes this seems like overkill, but I have never had a problem having a gun in my check-in luggage.
    I only carried a firearm on SWA once. It was a total cluster phuck by SWA both leaving and arriving. Afterwards, I just made sure my Sis had a pistol waiting for me when I arrived in Austin.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Weird bit of trivia. The people wearing an airliner shirt taking your bags and giving you a ticket may not be actual airline employees, depending on airport. There’s a whole business model of contract logistics support at airports that are outstations/not bases. Compound that with the fact that one airport can have airline X base there, but not airline y or z.

As always, comply with TSA regulations and airline specific rules, arrive early, and be prepared to wait.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    This is a commonly asked question, how much is ammo is enough?
    The answer is simple, enough for the situation. And any situations that might arise from the first situation. And then twice as much as expected to be needed to deal with any, and all, subsequent situations, that might arise thereafter.

That should be just about enough. Unless you are married, have a girlfriend, have children, or are thinking about marriage, having children, or have pets or livestock of any kind. Or have parents or friends. You might need to add a bit of "just in case" ammo for those conditions or situations.

That might be enough.

See, simple

Last edited:

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Sufficient ammunition is a challenging calculation.

Assuming normality, any small number of rounds is comforting. But, if a firearm is necessary--normality may have left the scene. Thus, I would want every round imaginable on hand. Better yet, I want all the allies I can gather also fully provisioned.

A reliable pistol and a backup magazine are probably the best compromise as carrying 50 or more pounds through a full day everyday would quickly become overbearing.

popper

TGT Addict
    Apr 23, 2013
    Clear a jam and insert new mag? Nope already got shot! I carry to protect myself, first to get a hit usually wins in a robbery or assault.

Me

Oct 21, 2021
    Austin
    Can anyone cite any example of a defensive shooting that required more than one mag by the civilian involved? I thought Ayoob had looked into that at one time and found it had never happened.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Clear a jam and insert new mag? Nope already got shot! I carry to protect myself, first to get a hit usually wins in a robbery or assault.

Don't try to clear the jam...also get shot. One option gives you a chance, however slim. The other...if you need a second or third shot and get a jam or FTF, you're screwed.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Sufficient ammunition is a challenging calculation.

Assuming normality, any small number of rounds is comforting. But, if a firearm is necessary--normality may have left the scene. Thus, I would want every round imaginable on hand. Better yet, I want all the allies I can gather also fully provisioned.

A reliable pistol and a backup magazine are probably the best compromise as carrying 50 or more pounds through a full day everyday would quickly become overbearing.
    <>

Yes, this is why we went to common. magazine defensive weapons.

It is comforting to travel w/ several types of defensive pieces, all of which share both cartridges & magazines.

Downside is shorter range of the PCC; but few defensive uses require ranges over 75M.

I keep ‘’extra’’ 15 round GLOCK 9mm mags in vehicles, etc. The PCC comes with 2 x 34 round mags.

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom