How many of you have LTC’s from other states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just curious how many of you have obtained LTC’s from other states for the purpose of redundancy, as well as for coverage and reciprocity from states that don’t honor Texas.

I have a Utah, to cover Washington state.

I have an Illinois, to cover for Illinois, and Minnesota.

I have a Arizona, Florida and New Hampshire for redundancy.

I have a Maine, because while Maine is a constitutional carry state, a LTC is required to carry in a National Park, or State Park of Maine.

I have a Connecticut, to cover that state.

Which leaves the following states that I can’t currently carry.

California, Oregon, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, & Massachusetts. As well as I can’t carry in Washington DC or NYC. (Oregon I can Open carry, barring a few cities, but can’t conceal carry)

I considered getting one for Washington DC, however the hassle isn’t worth the benefit for the small area that I could carry, and for the length of time I would be there.

I am thinking about getting one for RI. Although it will require a trip and a stop, so don’t know if it’s worth the effort yet. Especially since RI is such a small state, and not as much to do.

If the 6+ court cases against NJ, NY/NYC, MD, CA, and HI win, then I might consider LTC’s from those states as well. It all depends on the outcome of those cases. The outcome of the cases could also cause those states to start having some form of reciprocity with other states as well. We shall see. Reciprocity would be much nicer then going through any application process.

Bravo for you, but not worth it for me. Being retired, and at my age; I just refuse to go to places that evil !
    Target Sports

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Because of NYSPRA v Bruen

I have applied for a Maryland, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts license to carry.

I can provide training for Maryland, New Jersey and Rhode Island

WAA

I ❤️ Texas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    New York has to honor my driver’s license, they should have to honor my LTC.

Marriage license too. God forbid I have to remarry the wife to travel through Oklahoma…

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    My CCW is still "technically" active in California, not sure it would be considered valid any longer since I am not a resident anymore.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I’m from TN so I have my TN permit, but I had a Washington permit when I lived there. It was easy.

If my TN permit wasn’t honored in TX or NM I would consider getting a TX permit.

Looks like TX covers the same states as my TN permit.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I had several non resident permits in other states during my working years but haven't renewed them. If current permit isn't good, I don't need to be there.

MrBlue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but even if you could get a LTC in NY without jumping though hoops, being a non resident would disqualify you. Apparently NY does not issue to non residents. Even a pistol permit, yes you need one just to be in possession of a pistol, wouldn’t be issued to a non NYS resident. I asked my local licensing office prior to moving to TX if I could keep it and was told no, unless you will be coming back and have your residency in NYS.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but even if you could get a LTC in NY without jumping though hoops, being a non resident would disqualify you. Apparently NY does not issue to non residents. Even a pistol permit, yes you need one just to be in possession of a pistol, wouldn’t be issued to a non NYS resident. I asked my local licensing office prior to moving to TX if I could keep it and was told no, unless you will be coming back and have your residency in NYS.
    If one was to escape NY why would he go back?

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    Yup.

He’s no longer there now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yup Charlles Bronson....I've kept that one just for the name on it. Living in Los Angeles, I was unable to get one from CA. I had FL, AZ, NV, UT, OR. I think I was good in 39 states but not my own. Funny thing was I was on a first name basis with the chief of police, Charlie Beck and would occasionally work with the LAPD on certain handgun/Shotgun tactics. Since he served at the pleasure of the mayor, his hands were tied. If I remember correctly, he said that other than judges, less than 100 permits were issued in a city of over 5 million.

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Yup Charlles Bronson....I've kept that one just for the name on it. Living in Los Angeles, I was unable to get one from CA. I had FL, AZ, NV, UT, OR. I think I was good in 39 states but not my own. Funny thing was I was on a first name basis with the chief of police, Charlie Beck and would occasionally work with the LAPD on certain handgun/Shotgun tactics. Since he served at the pleasure of the mayor, his hands were tied. If I remember correctly, he said that other than judges, less than 100 permits were issued in a city of over 5 million.
    I imagine CA is facing Bruen and loosening up so they issue to more than politicians and Hollywood.

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    I imagine CA is facing Bruen and loosening up so they issue to more than politicians and Hollywood.
    Cali is what they call a "may issue" state, it depends what city or county you live in; it's not a statewide system like Texas.The most populated areas, LA, SF, Sac, are no goes. Had I lived one county to the north or west, I would have had one, no problem.

Top Bottom