Hurley's Gold

How many of you have LTC’s from other states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    CandCallen,

AZ Lic is good til your 70? Or is this an instructer’s license?
    Target Sports

Last edited:

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I had a wait for it..... District of Columbia concealed carry license which I obtained in 2018, but unfortunately they only last two years and I couldn't renew it in 2020 because I wasn't able to travel to DC to take the renewal course. I registered two pistols in DC (which is required to carry them). I just wanted to do it to prove it was possible and I was working in the DC metro area quite a bit, though all the locations were off limits for carry due to being federal government offices.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I also have an IL CCL from when my daughter lived there. Unfortunately, she moved to NJ, so I don't visit much anymore. I will not renew IL when it expires, too expensive and too hard to get a renewal class.

I am getting my Illinois instructor license. Should have it by June or July. I am in the DFW area.

but you are right.... it’s not cheap to renew at $150. However it does give you coverage in Minnesota. And it does give you a backup license to carry on if youforget to renew your Tx license in time, or loose it.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I can't carry on body in Texas, as no TDL or LTC yet, still have my Oregon CHL and DL (ug) - I might write the sheriff in my former home county to see if I can convert my resident CHL to a non-resident. Oregon has no reciprocity agreements, so on the very slim chance I ever set foot in that state again, I'd like to be able to carry.

Currently in the Oregon House, a bill was filed that would give reciprocity to any state LTC/CHL that was from a state that would recognize Oregon’s CHL.

Currently Texas does NOT recognize an Oregon CHL.

Now assuming, Oregon passes that bill, and assuming that Texas passes constitutional carry this year. It is very possible that Oregon will recognize a Texas LTC. However, it is unknown if the law will recognize states that are constitutional carry for the purpose of recognizing an Oregon LTC.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I had a wait for it..... District of Columbia concealed carry license which I obtained in 2018, but unfortunately they only last two years and I couldn't renew it in 2020 because I wasn't able to travel to DC to take the renewal course. I registered two pistols in DC (which is required to carry them). I just wanted to do it to prove it was possible and I was working in the DC metro area quite a bit, though all the locations were off limits for carry due to being federal government offices.

I was going to get one, but then when I realized I had to take a course there, and then everywhere I wanted to go I couldn’t carry anyways. Plus don’t want to park in DC, and you can’t carry on Mass Trans so what’s the point!

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I was going to get one, but then when I realized I had to take a course there, and then everywhere I wanted to go I couldn’t carry anyways. Plus don’t want to park in DC, and you can’t carry on Mass Trans so what’s the point!

Technically you can carry on the Metro in VA, but as soon as it goes into DC or MD, you're out of luck. I think there's a loophole where you could carry your gun unloaded in a locked container in DC till you got out of the metro (Edit to add: If you have a DC permit, and the gun is registered in DC).

Last edited:

amberloo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    texas
    I had a bunch back in the 1990s but let them expire when Texas got so many reciprocity agreements with other states. A Texas LTC will get one honored in about 22+ states. Some time in the distant future we might have national reciprocity law which has been introduced as a bill in the last several sessions of Congress.
    I'm not going to hold my breath on that. I'm not sure that would even happen if the republicans held POTUS, and both house of congress. There was no move towards that or priority from them when they had the triple crown in Trump's first term. I think that is probably fairly low on the priority pole.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I'm not going to hold my breath on that. I'm not sure that would even happen if the republicans held POTUS, and both house of congress. There was no move towards that or priority from them when they had the triple crown in Trump's first term. I think that is probably fairly low on the priority pole.
    Yup, I am breathing normally as the same bill has been put forward in Congress several times and died there of course. What might prove interesting is the SCOTUS case NY State Rifle & Pistol Assoc vs. Corlett due for a decision 2021 or 2022. In a nutshell is New York's denial of petitioners' applications for concealed-carry licenses for self-defense violated the Second Amendment. Wait and see.

amberloo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    texas
    Remember even if the republicans take control of the senate, it will likely be by only a few votes and not enough to break a filibuster

i dont think it will ever see the light of day.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I had a bunch back in the 1990s but let them expire when Texas got so many reciprocity agreements with other states. A Texas LTC will get one honored in about 22+ states. Some time in the distant future we might have national reciprocity law which has been introduced as a bill in the last several sessions of Congress.

Some states only give reciprocity to resident LTC’s and not Non-Resident.

Three state LTC’s I have do not recognize Texas LTC. And one other state doesn’t recognize Texas, but recognizes one of the three others.

The rest I keep for redundancy purposes. You never know when some idiot will be elected to office and change the reciprocity.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    it will only get pushed once a majority of states go constitutional Permitless carry. We are at 21 now. We aren’t to far away, only 4 more states to go.

A few states still have constitutional carry bills pending, and several others will reinitiate new bills next year. The total of both is well over 6-8 states. Plenty enough to get a majority.

States still possible to pass by end of next year are…

Pennsylvania, Indiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Louisiana (when their current governor gets voted out next year), Minnesota.

It’s possible that SCOTUS could push things along as well depending on how they write their opinion in the New York case. especially when it comes to the opinion part on ones right to bear arms outside the home.
    various states not having reciprocity, &/or no option for a non-resident LTC might see those laws challenged.

Original Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2020
    Texas
    Just curious how many of you have obtained LTC’s from other states for the purpose of redundancy, as well as for coverage and reciprocity from states that don’t honor Texas.

I have a Utah, to cover Washington state.

I have an Illinois, to cover for Illinois, and Minnesota.

I have a Arizona, Florida and New Hampshire for redundancy.

I have a Maine, because while Maine is a constitutional carry state, a LTC is required to carry in a National Park, or State Park of Maine.

I have a Connecticut, to cover that state.

Which leaves the following states that I can’t currently carry.

California, Oregon, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, & Massachusetts. As well as I can’t carry in Washington DC or NYC. (Oregon I can Open carry, barring a few cities, but can’t conceal carry)

I considered getting one for Washington DC, however the hassle isn’t worth the benefit for the small area that I could carry, and for the length of time I would be there.

I am thinking about getting one for RI. Although it will require a trip and a stop, so don’t know if it’s worth the effort yet. Especially since RI is such a small state, and not as much to do.

If the 6+ court cases against NJ, NY/NYC, MD, CA, and HI win, then I might consider LTC’s from those states as well. It all depends on the outcome of those cases. The outcome of the cases could also cause those states to start having some form of reciprocity with other states as well. We shall see. Reciprocity would be much nicer then going through any application process.
    At one time I had nine, Maine, Florida, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Arizona – including Texas, Utah and Connecticut - all without leaving Texas. Most are now redundant as more reciprocity agreements were made, states starting recognizing any state’s CHL or they went to Constitutional Carry. Presently I only hold Texas, Utah and Connecticut, which gets me legal in 40 states including Washington State. The Texas license is apparently good in Puerto Rico also.

There are a number of other states that offer non-resident licenses, but are either extremely restrictive, extremely expensive and short lived, and/or in places where there is hardly any public place you can carry, must go there to apply, control what you can carry and even how much ammunition you can carry. Some examples are Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and even Washington DC. Then there are states that unless you are a resident, in the military, have a business there, etc. you will not get a CHL and in some places they are not actually available at all even if you are a resident unless to pay off some Politian or clerk – such places as New York, New Jersey, California, Hawaii, Maryland and Oregon fit that bill.

Many years ago I had to go to a class in the Northeast and found a state offering non-resident CHL that the state I needed to go to would recognize so I got that CHL. After that it became sort of a contest to see just how many states I could get legal in, whether I planned on going there or not, but now may are not needed, so I let them go as they expired.

I did hear there was a crusty old Sheriff in norther California that will issue anyone with their own states CHL, a resident CHL to you, if you can come up with a California address. Don’t know if that is true, but I have done some research through an LEO sibling in Sacramento and other means and found no such person. Sent letters to all county sheriffs north of SAC and only heard back from about three in a form letter that said I had to have a California Driver’s License to even get the process started.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    At one time I had nine, Maine, Florida, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Arizona – including Texas, Utah and Connecticut - all without leaving Texas. Most are now redundant as more reciprocity agreements were made, states starting recognizing any state’s CHL or they went to Constitutional Carry. Presently I only hold

There are a number of other states that offer non-resident licenses, but are either extremely restrictive, extremely expensive and short lived, and/or in places where there is hardly any public place you can carry, must go there to apply, control what you can carry and even how much ammunition you can carry. Some examples are Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and even Washington DC. Then there are states that unless you are a resident, in the military, have a business there, etc. you will not get a CHL and in some places they are not actually available at all even if you are a resident unless to pay off some Politian or clerk – such places as New York, New Jersey, California, Hawaii, Maryland and Oregon fit that bill.
    The Crazy 8 as i like to call them are the 8 states that are nearly impossible for their own residents to get CCL's and have ZERO reciprocity. Are of course, Hawaii, California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, And Rhode Island.

Although Delware does offer reciprocity, the others dont.

I wont travel to those states. However the GOOD news is things will be changing for those states in the next year or so. There is a case to be heard by the Supreme Court on November 3rd of this year against New York on this very issue of issuing LTC's. After of course SCOTUS issues their ruling and opinion. Now how many of those will start offering reciprocity, or allow non-resident LTC's is hard to say. All but california currently allow some form of Non-resident LTC. Doesnt mean that actually issue them though.

The biggest reason why I have multiple LTC's is to cover the states that Texas reciprocity doesnt. 2nd biggest reason is for redundancy.

While we are currently winning the battle on Gun laws, and this year alone added 5 states to the list of Consitutional Carry states (21 now). Many areas are still ruled by those who want to ban all guns. So a state today that has reciprocity with Texas, may not have it tommorrow. If i have their states LTC or another state they recognize. Then i would still be good.

Currently the states i Have, to get other states that dont recognize Texas are, Utah, Illinois, and Connecticut. Utah gets me washington, Illinois gets you Illinois and Minnesota, and and Connecticut gets Connecticut. Although I did get washington state as well, Didnt know if they would drop Utah or not since Utah just went constitutional carry along with Texas.

If someone never travels and never leaves the state of Texas, they could possibly get by not even getting even a Texas LTC. Although it does offer some clear advantages even if you dont travel. The biggest is going to anyone of the 30+ USACE lakes and parks (city, county and State). Those need a LTC and A Permission letter. See another post of mine!

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The Crazy 8 as i like to call them are the 8 states that are nearly impossible for their own residents to get CCL's and have ZERO reciprocity. Are of course, Hawaii, California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, And Rhode Island........
    I have NO reason or desire to ever cross the state lines into these states. I can't see it happening in my lifetime but a valid LTC in any state should be valid in all states, as a drivers license.

Top Bottom