Gun Zone Deals

How many handguns can I buy, via Gunbroker/FFL, in a given time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    I want to know if there is a limit on the amount of handgun purchase transfers via FFL you can do both on Gunbroker and any TX FFL, for example is there a limit on one given transaction? In a week? A month?
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Several years ago I bought two that arrived at the receiving ffl at the same time. He said some extra form had to be submitted to atf for multi purchase...he showed it to me but I don't remember a number.

Reactions: Eli

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    On the May 2020 version of the BATFE form, there is space for three serial numbered items. I have never purchased more than two pistols at a time so I am not sure if you use an "addendum" form, a whole new form, or some other form gets processed with either.

Last edited:

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I think the limit is your imagination and budget. I have seen a 4473 filled out with an addendum page with probably 25 lowers on it.

Even without an LTC, when you call in a nics check, they don't ask you how many are on there.

Multi sale forms for handguns and a-salt rifles are a different story. Based on days open on the FFL's application. I believe the law is 5 business days. Could be the dealer is only open Monday nights after 8pm to keep the pesky ATF at bay. Next thing you know, buy a handgun a month after the last and you got forms filled. Or Cabellas, buy one on Monday, good to go Sunday?

Just make sure you always use the same dealer so that these things are properly tracked and reported. Hate for some freedom to happen.

As a side note, I don't believe there is a requirement for a FFL to inform the client said form was filled out. There is 100% trouble if it doesn't get done though.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    On the May 2020 version of the BATFE form, there is space for three serial numbered items. I have never purchased more than two pistols at a time so I am not sure if you use a "addendum" form, a whole new form, or some other form gets processed with either.
    There is no set process for this. It is based on the business plan of the dealer.

1. Charge transfer fee per item.
    2. Charge transfer fee per 4473.
    2a. Limit to 3
    2b. Limit to addendum
    3. Find some other way to make it expensive because you hate the free market.
    4. Make up your own burdensome rules because .GOV didn't go far enough.

Rant over. Dad Gum vodak.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gll

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I had two arrive from Gun Broker a day apart even though the purchases were made in about a two week time frame as I recall. LTC holder here. FFL notified me to pick up after the second arrived. The good, I got a discount since there was more than one, so $35 total instead of $20 each. The catch, FFL said more than one over a five day period (maybe it was 7 days) requires notification to chief law enforcement officer, which I believe was the sheriff. Maybe it was ATF, I’m really not sure because the only thing that registered in my mind was “the authorities”.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    The catch, FFL said more than one over a five day period (maybe it was 7 days) requires notification to chief law enforcement officer, which I believe was the sheriff. Maybe it was ATF, I’m really not sure because the only thing that registered in my mind was “the authorities”.
    It might very well be the local sheriff. I had a FFL 03 (C&R) a while back, and the application process required I notify my chief law enforcement officer that I was applying for one. They didn't seem to care (no response), but that is what the law required.

kp321

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Tuscola, Texas
    ATF requires notification of more than one hand gun purchase in a seven day period from one FFL. Copy of form goes to chief local law enforcement officer, sheriff, police chief, etc. Nothing in the law says you can’t buy multiple handguns, atf just wants to know. No limits on long guns except “assault rifles” in border states. Stripped lowers don’t count, go figure.
    Otherwise, the limit is your pocket book.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This is a purely speculative post and I may even be incorrect. Maybe even more of a question.

But from my understanding and line of thinking, the Form 3310.4 is filled out by one FFL if you purchase more than two pistols from that FFL.

But that wouldn't necessarily stop a person from buying multiple pistols in one day at different FFL's would it?

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    FFL said today that if you buy more than one handgun in five business days, the ATF is notified

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Why not read what ATF requires, relative to multiple firearms sales, on the ATF website:

Of course that is not what was asked by the OP, it is not a limit on how many you can buy but the info at that link does explain which multiple sales must be reported to ATF. I only posted this because the thread seems to have slanted toward that at least partially. I guess I have been reported several times when buying handguns at auctions.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom