• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Can't wait till I get mine, I plan to suit it up, then get an auto drive.

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Reloading since 1969 starting with a Lee Loader for .357 Magnum. Got a Redding Turret Press the next year ($37.95) and am still using it. That's 43 years and counting on my Redding.

Ugraded Dies, Powder measure and scale since. Currently working .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .41AE, 45ACP and .223 Remington.

Brownman0311

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2013
    A year!

Reloaded hundreds of 45 ACP, 40 SW, 223 rem, 308 win, and 338 Lapua Magnum with single stage Lee press

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    48 years give or take. Started with Herter's press, scale, etc. I even used Herter's bullets. Too bad Lyndon and Co. did away with mail order business and it killed off Herter's. I can't wait to see what Bama and Hillery do for us.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Negative one day, lol. My dies, shellplate, scale, reloading book and calipers will be coming in tomorrow. To bad I only have 2 9mm shells ATM but I'm sure I'll be spending quite a bit of time just getting everything setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I personally started about 10 years ago. I bought a Dillon 650 to feed my 2,000+ rounds per week pistol shooting habit. Then bought a RCBS to start building rifle rounds. Now I am seriously thinking about buying a second 650 so I can leave one set up for 45 ACP and switch the other one around for whatever caliber of the week I am shooting.

When I was a kid my dad reloaded shotgun shells and I usually helped. But he would not touch a pistol or rifle reloader. I think his father blew up a gun once.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I believe I started reloading in 1973. One of the Airmen who worked for me (I was a Captain) was a shooter and reloader, and he got me started. I began with .45 Colt in a Ruger Old Model Blackhawk, loading hot with H110. I've been loading hot with H110 in other calibers ever since.

flashguy

beenut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Started in 1966 with Lee hamer press for 30-06 now run 5 different preses set some are set for decated calbers .

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    Off and on for about 30 years. I used to help my granddad load back when I was a wee lad, then took a hiatus for several years (had plenty of ammo to shoot and was in HS/college). Picked it back up heavily after he passed away in 2006. My single stage RCBS Jr. press is probably 50 years old and still going strong, though it's been relegated to precision rifle and pistol rounds these days. The LnL AP does the bulk of the work for range and pistol rounds.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I started in 1973 with a Rockchucker which I still use, in addition to five Dillon 550 presses dedicated to calibers (.45, 9, .30-06, 5.56, and 7.62). I leave those presses set up ready to go. Then I have the Rock Chucker plus another one, which I have dedicated to depriming brass. I have Dillon Power Trimmers set up for each common caliber so I can trim & resize on the Rockchucker then finish loading on the Dillons. I haven't bouight factory ammo except shotshells since about 1990.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Since 1979,
    Started out because it was so much less expensive to shoot.
    When I got into mil-surp it was often the only way to get ammo. (577-450MH, 8mm Lebel, etc)
    Like you OP I ended p with a Dillon progressive. Still use the old single stage for rifle.
    Never did do shotshell tho.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    WOW! Even at 45 years old, since I've only been reloading for about 2.5-3 years do I ever feel like a newb. Currently loading 9mm, 40, 45acp, 45LC, 38/357, 44spc/mag, and 5.56/223.

I'm fortunate to ahve started out on a Dillon 550 that belonged to a buddy. It's now parked in my gun room, but I have a 1050 on the way...

Can't comprehend why more people don't start on a progressive...can't imagine using a single stage for anything other than case prep...

Dillon550.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Can't comprehend why more people don't start on a progressive...can't imagine using a single stage for anything other than case prep...
    It all comes down to using the right tool for the right job. Progressives, single-stage, and hand dies all have their place. Despite what I've said up-thread, if I knew someone only wanted to burn ammo by the case I'd be very comfortable advising them to start with a progressive.

OTOH, try loading with unthreaded benchrest-style dies using an arbor press. 30 rounds is a big batch...and you'll never be as proud as when you fire that first group in the zeroes. No one will ever achieve that on a progressive.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    It all comes down to using the right tool for the right job. Progressives, single-stage, and hand dies all have their place. Despite what I've said up-thread, if I knew someone only wanted to burn ammo by the case I'd be very comfortable advising them to start with a progressive.

OTOH, try loading with unthreaded benchrest-style dies using an arbor press. 30 rounds is a big batch...and you'll never be as proud as when you fire that first group in the zeroes. No one will ever achieve that on a progressive.

Good point.

Maybe I should amend my statement to say, "I can't believe anyone who shoots 3-gun or action pistol types of competitions would start loading on anything other than a progressive."

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Damn, that ammo is only 3 years younger than me :eek: How did it shoot?

It shot just fine! At some time or another I had fired a few of the rounds (probably sighting-in a scope), so I decided to finish the box.

I had some Korean War vintage (1950's) .30-06 that I shot up in an M1 Garand. Ammo has a long shelf life.

Capt.hollis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Brazoria Tx
    Hubby built a reloading bench last weekend.
    998881_645284902150625_1648555284_n.jpg

He got a brass cleaner,and a bucket and strainer to separate the corn cob medium from the brass after the brass is cleaned. He also has a press that he attached to the top of the bench. He's been stocking up on bullets and powder and primers. I think he wants to buy dies next. Investing in reloading equipment is a slow process but he says it will pay in the long run.
    i like that ! Nice n clean too. It won't look like that very long so don't get used to it lol.

quicksilver49

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    I started with a Lee Loader in 222 back in 1970. Went to a RCBS jr , then to a Rock Chucker. I let the presses set idol for many years ,but now I have a Hornady Lock-n- Load AP .I am getting stet up to cast my own bullits. This will keep me busy and be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom