Lynx Defense

How hard is it to build a semi-auto RPK?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nerfgun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2019
    Houston, TX
    RPK's are cool. I was wondering, how difficult is it to build a semi-auto RPK from a full auto kit? Is it something that can be done at home?
    Military Camp

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't imagine it would be any harder than a typical AK. Those are not as easy as building an AR, but they're not impossibly hard either. It's hard enough to be considered real gunsmithing. You're going to have to find or make a receiver for it. That's going to be the hard part. If it doesn't come with a barrel, you are going to have to find one of those too, and head space it along with a few other things. I believe you'll also have have to make sure there are enough American made parts in it to make it 922r compliant

What is your experience with fabrication or using tools in general? Like I said, this is not an "easy" project in that you can just slap a bunch of parts together. You will have to know what you're doing and the right way to do it.

Are you doing this to save money, or just because you want to build an RPK? You are probably not going to save much money if any doing this, but there is something to be said of building a functional gun out of a bag of parts that makes it worth wild for some people.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this, just letting you know the reality of what you're wanting to do so that you don't go into it blind.

I would look up some of the tutorials people have done on building an AK. The RPK will be very similar, and it will give you a good idea of what it takes to build one.

Last edited:

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Well, I personally own a semi-automatic RPK, so it can't be too difficult. As stated above, parts might be a bit tricky, and I don't think you're gonna save much money on it. I sure think it's a pretty neat addition to a collection though.

Top Bottom