How fast and easy can you reload your rifle and pistol magazines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    As a seasoned citizen I appreciate fast and easy. It can be very hard to get those last few rounds into the mag.

All too often one is rushed helping score/tape and get the mags reloaded before the next stage when shooting in a match. To help try using the mag reloading devices from ETS Group. Here is one of many videos that demonstrate the reloading for pistol and rifle mags. There are many reloading devices in the market place. I have found these one of the best for me. Get what the budget and function is best for you.

Disclaimer: I don't have any connection with ETS just another shooter passing the word to make shooting less of a hassle.

BTW: For unloading AR-15 mags (and maybe similar ones) I found this video helpful.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I have a few 37 rounders for my Ruger. The trick to getting the last couple in is to tap the bottom of the mag on the table while you push down the stack and it shifts down to allow the next round.

Edit: read about their loaders. They wouldn't work for me because of the repackboxes I store my ammo in. Plus they're expensive. Every Glock comes with a mag loader for free.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I've used an Uplula for years.
    My thumbs are way too messed up.
    That was my 2d reloading device after I found the Glock reloading device with each new pistol required too much hand/finger strength. I still have one as the ETS Group pistol reloading device doesn't work so well for one or two rounds. Best with 6-10 rounds for pistol mags.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I never owned or used an uplula until I bought a P365. Those mags are really tough to fully load.
    That was my 2d reloading device after I found the Glock reloading device with each new pistol required too much hand/finger strength. I still have one as the ETS Group pistol reloading device doesn't work so well for one or two rounds. Best with 6-10 rounds for pistol mags.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I have a few 37 rounders for my Ruger. The trick to getting the last couple in is to tap the bottom of the mag on the table while you push down the stack and it shifts down to allow the next round.

Edit: read about their loaders. They wouldn't work for me because of the repackboxes I store my ammo in. Plus they're expensive. Every Glock comes with a mag loader for free.

Yes, you are right about the repack boxes. The cartridge, rifle or pistol, have to be 'primer up' for the ETS reloading device. Factory pistol ammo usually comes packaged primer up. I have to repackage my rifle rounds into an after market box primer up. But it still saves time on the range for reloading between stages.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Yes, you are right about the repack boxes. The cartridge, rifle or pistol, have to be 'primer up' for the ETS reloading device. Factory pistol ammo usually comes packaged primer up. I have to repackage my rifle rounds into an after market box primer up. But it still saves time on the range for reloading between stages.
    Just buy more magazines and load them the night before you're range trip. That's what I do. Problem solved.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    My thumbs are way too messed up.
    12077855.jpg

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Shot my Shield 45 today. I run 7 rd mags with a hyve ext so they are 8. Without the uplula it is a tedious task. With it it is easy smeazy.

Also shot my wheelie and I dont have speed loaders. But they seem to drop in with gravity.

Then there is the 77/357 ruger and its rotary mags. Those are a breeze to load again no loader.

I have no problem with the strippers on my SKS as for my AR and AK I find them simple enough to load unassisted.

Dont shoot any competition and as mentioned above by another I have a decent number of mags and usually load out several before hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    All too often one is rushed helping score/tape and get the mags reloaded before the next stage when shooting in a match.
    That very well could be that one does not have enough magazines on hand to bring to the match and that is not a joke or wise arse answer. While I have only shot competitively a few times, I understood, when I did so, it was good to have as many magazines or speedloaders on hand as I might need. That came from having been trained to be prepared in tactical shooting situations. I often carried as many as 6 spare pistol magazines, and about 4 spare MP-5 mags, if not more of each, while working high risk LE operations. When I flew as an Air Marshal, right after 9/11, I often carried up to 10 spare magazines and a backup pistol that could use the same magazines as my primary weapon (Glock 19 primary & Glock 26 backup). I carried that many while flying as a volunteer Air Marshal because to be quite honest - I was scared just about to tears each time the plane's doors were shut and we started to roll down the runway for at least the first two weeks of a 5.5 month detail. Boarding and remaining on those first 2 weeks of flights were and remain the scariest thing I have ever done in my life. It was scarier than having and fighting stage 4 throat cancer. That's because I, like many other such volunteers and regular Air Marshals, were convinced we would be taken out by terrorists; yet, I wanted to make sure to send as many of them to their maker as was possible if that became the case and to not let them take down the flight I was on. Protect the cockpit was the end all - be all duty of the day, not only to save the flight crew & aircraft but to keep flying and thus save others on the flight and others on the ground.

I have at least 30 AR mags, 30 AK mags (probably quite a few more of each), 20 or more Beretta 92 series mags, several (probably 10-15) 1911 mags, many (at least about 20) Glock 19 mags (that also work in my Glock 26) and about 10 speedloaders for my Ruger Redhawk in 44 MAG. Other gun mags/speedloaders I have are maybe not so many but certainly I try to get a few for each firearm I own that has a box type removable mag or that uses a speedloader.

I also have a few different loading devices but much prefer to have sufficient loaded mags & speedloaders, than hopefully will be needed, on hand instead of having to stop to reload magazines when I need them loaded already. While I do not carry as many as when I was in LE, I often carry at least 4 spare magazines nowadays.

Besides having the spare mag thing hammered into me during my LE training, I have always liked at least one thing about the Boy Scouts of America - that was/is (are they still in existence or have the libs destroyed them yet) their motto: "Be Prepared".

Last edited:
    Top Bottom