• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    With the recent Memorial shoots I noticed member aint afraid in meeting up & hanging out. I enjoyed myself as always @ Dustin's, but my social skills were lacking for not bringing my cane to gimp around & talk with others.

If you felt I blew you off let me say once I park my fat ass getting up to even shake hands is a chore. And taking extra pain killers to make the day can slow my brain down some.

I'm wondering just how far any of us with the time to do so would travel out here in the sticks? Probably not a good time for me with my wife sick, but I'd wouldn't mind meeting up for breakfast or lunch, just to bullshit in person.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I think the length of the meet up would determine how far for me.

I've been to both EZ-E's and Vaquero's for all day shoots. But I likely wouldn't drive that far for lunch. Though EZ has done that once with Sam7 a couple years ago. Still grateful for that guys. Its a 150-200 miles trip one way.

But I have shared some meals with a few with a under 50 mile drive one way. In DFW driving 20-30 miles one way is common. I did it last night actually.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I ain't afraid of a drive if I have the time to go. I think the event + duration would be a factor - like Deemus said - for just a lunch, I don't think I'd go more than a hundred or so miles - 4 hours of driving for 2 hours of fun ain't my usual MO. I prefer having at least equal, or more fun time vs road time. Not to say I haven't done my share of turn & burn stuff before - but usually for more than just to say I've been someplace to see it. I'll drive to Dallas for the right gun deal, but I won't drive up there just to grab Whataburger - unless the whole plan is just going for a drive and seeing what is to be seen. I'll do that - but then the drive *is* the fun part.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I ain't afraid of a drive if I have the time to go. I think the event + duration would be a factor - like Deemus said - for just a lunch, I don't think I'd go more than a hundred or so miles - 4 hours of driving for 2 hours of fun ain't my usual MO. I prefer having at least equal, or more fun time vs road time. Not to say I haven't done my share of turn & burn stuff before - but usually for more than just to say I've been someplace to see it. I'll drive to Dallas for the right gun deal, but I won't drive up there just to grab Whataburger - unless the whole plan is just going for a drive and seeing what is to be seen. I'll do that - but then the drive *is* the fun part.

In principle and in the past, wut he said.

Present circumstances are going to have to improve considerably to return to the above.

In the past I’ve travelled farther many times. Damn do I miss it.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've driven all over this state to go hangout with yall misfits. The semi annual meet is always fun. I haven't been able to make the Copperas Cove meet last couple of years, I'm pretty bummed about that... I don't get to see some of yall that often. I'd be willing to make a drive as long as I have a few weeks notice.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hicksville and Copperas Cove are about 200 miles. One way. I've been to a few of each. Day trips most times. Dietz at New Braunfels a couple of times while I was in the area.
    Some county or Municipal range NE of SA a couple of times.
    Always to meet TGT folks. Never disappointed.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I drove 12 hours total to make both Sterling meets and have no regrets. Well worth it.

For a shooting meet (because I have missed so many) I'll go pretty far.

Driving an hour for an hour lunch is a little much though. That's the down side of being somewhat isolated.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've spent years driving 2-3 hours each way to participate in State Guard drills on weekends. My limiting factors are darkness, weather, heavy traffic.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

Many years back, pre-MADD, distances in West Texas were expressed in number of beers instead of miles or hours.

As in: “It’s a 3 beer trip out to Ed Bob’s Ranch, unless you stop to pee; then, it is a 3.5 or 4 beer trip!”

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I drove 12 hours total to make both Sterling meets and have no regrets. Well worth it.

For a shooting meet (because I have missed so many) I'll go pretty far.

Driving an hour for an hour lunch is a little much though. That's the down side of being somewhat isolated.
    <>

Yes, but, when I was young, Lampassas was the last Texas stop for the Coors trucks, which made weekly runs from Colorado.

So we made monthly pilgrimages up to Lampassas. . . . .

DPS once stopped me with 22 cases of ole Yellow-Can Coors in my pickup, and accused me of “smuggling”. I told the Officer: “Sir, every one has a TEXAS tax stamp.”. Then he switched to “You are smuggling something inside the cans”. I had to let him open a couple & pour them out before he let me go. What a sacrilege!

leVieux

Top Bottom