APOD Firearms

How do you start in 3 gun competition? Other than the obvious 3 guns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Other than 3 guns(autorifle, shotgun, & pistol) what do you need to get in this type competition? How do you start? Im on a budget. How much ammo do you need to bring to match? Are there different types of classes? To many questions to ask, any info would help.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Some members here probably compete in 3 Gun, but the best advise is to go to the matches and see what everyone there is using and doing. Usually competitors at matches are more than happy to help a newbie get started.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Show up with what you have and your fellow shooters will help you figure out what to put on the score sheets, and usually scrabble around to loan you anything you need to finish.

Rough rule of thumb for match ammo: Bring twice what the match calls for. In my "local match" load out bag, I keep 250 rounds of junk .223, 50 rounds of precision grade .223, 300 rounds of pistol, 150 shot, 20 slugs, and 20 buckshot. That should get you through most any one day match (and pretty much anything short of the MGM Iron Man). A holster that securely holds your pistol, at least four mags (ten if single stack) for your pistol, at least three for your rifle, and enough ways to hold 30 shotgun shells.

Fancy is for later. Play the game a few times, watch what the old timers do and how they configure their gear, and consider as many options as possible before buying toys and trinkets. You will change your mind on toys and trinkets enough later on anyway :)

The rules vary by match, but for the most part if you show up with a iron sight double stack pistol, a rifle with one optic, and a shotgun that uses a tube magazine (no porting), you will shoot some variant of "tactical scope." The verbiage changes depending on who is doing the writing, but that is the most common category. Lots of folks start off with pump shotguns, no problem there at all.

The Ubergungeeks will be running the double stack ported dot sight pistols, speed loader (or, heaven forbid, mag fed) shotguns with porting and dots, and rifles with scopes on top and dots on the side. Ignore 'em; they are fun to watch but that junk is spendy. Once you head down that road, you end up with some crazy equipment and are reduced to selling plasma on the side in order to afford ramen noodles (as an aside, I think ramen noodles are tasty ;) ) That is "Open."

The double stack pistol/iron sight rifle/tuber shotgun is usually called "Limited" or "tactical/irons," or some variant thereof.

The really crazy guns run around with iron or optic sighted 308, and sometimes single stack .45 and pump 12 gauge shotguns. Don't make eye contact. They are dangerous to be around...that "Heavy Metal" stuff is like crack (to the mere coke of regular three gun).

Beware...once you start down the three-gun path, forever will it dominate your destiny...or at least your wallet and free time...

Alex

kikjunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    san antoniio
    I competed in my first 3 gun about a month ago and had a blast. They categorize you by what you shoot. For instance if you shoot with a revolver instead of an auto pistol then at the end when they post the results you will be ranked up with the rest of the revolver shooters. Same goes for different action shotguns and rifles; lever, pump, semi-auto, etc... Most people had a decent pistol holster and sling for their rifles. They said to bring 100 rounds for each gun but in the end I spend less than half that. The only thing I wish I had taken that I forgot was a pack lunch. I got there at 9am and ended up finishing around 2. Its a great opportunity to get some real training in and see where you stand. Have fun.

WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Thanks, for the info fellas, wakal I like ramen noodles too but the one in the box, good info from all. Can anyone suggest any web sites to check for matchs any where around me. There should be some in San Angelo, Abilene or Lubbock.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    The hardest part about getting into 3 gun is finding a match near you. Here are some links that might help you out.

3GN Match Listings - 3-Gun Nation

Match Announcements - BoomerShooter | Oklahoma's Premier Firearm Community

Multi-Gun, Rifle & Shotgun Match Announcements - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DFWShooters.org :: Index

Here is some more cool stuff on the 3 Gun Nation website for beginners.

Get Started - 3-Gun Nation

If you have any question holler at me. I shoot ALOT of 3 gun and have tried just about every piece of gear and every technique over the past two years.

Check out my Youtube page. It will give you an idea of what to expect.

jtischauser's Channel - YouTube

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks, for the info fellas, wakal I like ramen noodles too but the one in the box, good info from all. Can anyone suggest any web sites to check for matchs any where around me. There should be some in San Angelo, Abilene or Lubbock.
    Check Abilene indoor range. I think they have .22 cal 3 gun on thursday evenings. No website, just call 'em

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What category would running this shotgun put you in?

wtfsaiga.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is there a division for .22 pistol and carbine? I've really cut back on my centerfire ammo budget recently.

I know that Texas Tactical has a rimfire division at their carbine matches (which are like 3 gun without the shotgun). They hold a match every month at Austin Rifle Club.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Start simple.

That's the main thing. Run what you have and see what works.

Then start building your rifle shotgun and pistol.

Also work on your ancillary gear. You will need shotgun cartridge holders. Mark otto's are the best.

Footgear is also important. You will be on your feet all day and the boots are a consideration.

Build a 3 gun cart. Craigslist is the starting point for this.or buy a ready made one from midway.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    some good info here. i wonder what people would say if i was pushing a 3 gun cart, like a stroller around the neighborhood during a morning run. lmao.

Top Bottom