• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfever

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2019
    houston
    Does anyone know if this place is under new ownership or did they just change the name(HW Range Training Center)? I got conflicting answers when I visited there. One employee told me it was the same owners but with a new name but when I talked to Donovan Lamar; he informs me that he is the new owner and that the old owners are nowhere to be found.
    Military Camp

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    We are all pro 2nd amendment. We trade info on what scummy companies take away our rights. Except in our own backyard? Then its a safety issue. High insurance rates. Any excuse will do. Does the OPs range post 30.07 signage? So people like me can go elsewhere and avoid the drama.
    If a customer is legally carrying open or otherwise, a range is high on the list of places one should assume he will be welcomed. To not do so is the epitome of hypocrisy. We expect Rosey at the diner to see us coming and be ready to serve. She is expected to know a good guy that practices at the range, run by a two-faced Mac.
    Leaving was the right thing for the OP to have done. And avoiding the place like the plague is what the rest of us should do. Lets have another cup of hot hypocrisy.

yellowfever

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2019
    houston
    Pure speculation, but did they maybe need a new business entity after "the incident" ?

The reason I ask about the new ownership is because they are not honoring gift cards issued under the Hot Wells name. If it is the same ownership then in my opinion they are stealing from their past clients by not honoring the gift cards. However if it is new ownership I wouldn't expect them to.

ZX9RCAM, thanks for the welcome. Glad to be a part of the forum.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My last range trip in Houston was at the Carter's Country range off FM1960.

Somehow the holes on my target made no sense.

Finally figured it was a guy THREE LANES OVER shooting a beautiful helical contoured bbl Manlicher-Schnauer .308, hitting my paper.

I just packed up and left.

leVieux

Last edited:

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    My last range trip in Houston was at the Carter country off FM1960.

Somehow the holes on my target made no sense.

Finally figured it was a guy THREE LANES OVER shooting a beautiful helical contoured bbl Manlicher-Schnauer .308, hitting my paper.

I just packed up and left.

leVieux

That’s kind of funny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If he could have been that far off, and no-one had noticed, I figured it was DANGEROUS.
    Everyone eventually figures that out when it comes to Carter's Country, the only range where I've ever heard of a shooter being thrown off the range for rapid fire while using a Ruger No. 1.

To be fair, I haven't been there in years. I hope they've gotten better.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That is just impressive.
    The only thing that was impressive was the inattentiveness of the Range Officer on duty. Someone walked up to the 200 yard line (back when they had one) with an AR. There was only one other shooter, using the single shot, on the line. AR guy rips off 30 rounds into the backstop as fast as he can, tosses his rifle in his trunk and boogies out of there.

The Range Officer comes over looking for the source of the rapid fire, sees one shooter on the line, and throws him out. It didn't matter that the only rifle he had was a single shot. The RO wouldn't listen, management wouldn't listen, and Carter's lost another customer.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I haven't been to Carter's since they had give-away prices on their Fiocchi SRPs.

I'm considering Impact Zone. Pricey at $3XX/yr but it seems to be an anything goes kind of place. Downside of AG is are the other a$$holes going to step up when they f up?

At Mickey's in Dallas I never had any fear of that, only wild, rabid animals and robbers(it's been attempted, but not to me just at the place).

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Just a note announcing that Hot Wells fixed this policy. I went back a week ago and the guy in the trailer asked about my empty holster.

When I explained my carry was locked away already he feigned surprise. He explained that carry with an LTC is my business - not their concern.

So, I can use them without cringing again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bsp212

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Houston
    I haven't been to Carter's since they had give-away prices on their Fiocchi SRPs.

I'm considering Impact Zone. Pricey at $3XX/yr but it seems to be an anything goes kind of place. Downside of AG is are the other a$$holes going to step up when they f up?

At Mickey's in Dallas I never had any fear of that, only wild, rabid animals and robbers(it's been attempted, but not to me just at the place).

I haven't been to Impact Zone since 2012 and have no plans to return. I shot 3 gun matches back then and after the experience I had with an RO, decided not to return. The match designers at the time just couldn't help themselves with their "big" bay and set so many targets it created a bottle neck at every match because of stage reset times. My squad was waiting for another to finish shooting a stage, which happened to be the last stage of the day. I did my part with my squad taping and resetting targets on every stage, every shooter, every time. While the other squad was shooting, my squad RO wanted us to tape and reset their targets. Because of this, half of their squad was sitting at the picnic tables at the club house instead of working. I took a break after one shooter to sit down and talk to my wife. The RO for my squad thought it was his place to try and exercise some authority over me and attempted to verbally discipline me - I guess he forgot we were both adults, I was paying to be there, and I wasn't his subordinate. Needless to say, I was not pleased. He made the mistake of asking me "if I was going to have an attitude?" after his tantrum, to which I replied "yes, I am." He decided it was within his authority at this point to tell me I was disqualified, I guess for insubordination. So, I packed up and left, never to return. EVERYONE, including the other squad thought the guy was being a d*ck and some even called him one. It's like they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch. Besides this guy, the place is a swamp and half of the time matches are cancelled because the range is flooded.

Before a bunch of people dog pile on this remember - my squad wasn't shooting when I took a break to visit with my wife. I had been doing my part all day with my squad. Yes, there are people who will back up my story.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I haven't been to Impact Zone since 2012 and have no plans to return. I shot 3 gun matches back then and after the experience I had with an RO, decided not to return. The match designers at the time just couldn't help themselves with their "big" bay and set so many targets it created a bottle neck at every match because of stage reset times. My squad was waiting for another to finish shooting a stage, which happened to be the last stage of the day. I did my part with my squad taping and resetting targets on every stage, every shooter, every time. While the other squad was shooting, my squad RO wanted us to tape and reset their targets. Because of this, half of their squad was sitting at the picnic tables at the club house instead of working. I took a break after one shooter to sit down and talk to my wife. The RO for my squad thought it was his place to try and exercise some authority over me and attempted to verbally discipline me - I guess he forgot we were both adults, I was paying to be there, and I wasn't his subordinate. Needless to say, I was not pleased. He made the mistake of asking me "if I was going to have an attitude?" after his tantrum, to which I replied "yes, I am." He decided it was within his authority at this point to tell me I was disqualified, I guess for insubordination. So, I packed up and left, never to return. EVERYONE, including the other squad thought the guy was being a d*ck and some even called him one. It's like they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch. Besides this guy, the place is a swamp and half of the time matches are cancelled because the range is flooded.

Before a bunch of people dog pile on this remember - my squad wasn't shooting when I took a break to visit with my wife. I had been doing my part all day with my squad. Yes, there are people who will back up my story.
    I am sometimes convinced that to be an RSO one of the prequalifiers is to have a room temperature IQ.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Well, all right then!

Yep, little man syndrome!

I thought about joining but the cost is high and weather restrictive.

I was talking with some guys at TGC and one mentioned gun games at Shiloh and I’m thinking about looking into that for a change.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Its easy to understand why.

Consider that the most popular hoslter used for OC is a serpa (or is functionally similar to a serpa), which is also the #1 most banned holster by ranges, instructors, police departments, etc. Not to mention all the shitty uncle mikes, fobus, etc

It's not worth the hassle to let this one guy OC because he has a safariland, but not let these guys OC because they have serpas. The second the serpa guys see the guy OC'ing with a decent holster, they'll bitch.

And it's just not worth it. This isn't to imply that you are using a shitty holster, or aren't squared away OP, but I can guarantee that for (almost) every rule a range has that you may think is stupid, there is more than one reason why it's there.

Top Bottom