• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I took two rifles today. I planned to zero optics I've been moving around. This was my first visit since their staffer had his catastrophic negligent discharge.

I paid, waited in the rifle line, told the guy rifle, not pistol three times before the younger staffer explained that my rifles were broken down in the bag I was carrying. I spend long enough to get my Papoose whole and as I'm preparing to break out the Sub 2000 the staff guy shows up at the lane he just gave me to inquire about the pistol on my hip. He explained that my options were to unload it and chamber flag it or remove it. I packed up and left after telling him and the staff goodbye forever.

I can't shoot at anything but bullseye's.
    I have to wait two beats after my shots are lined up to fire again (I am a NRA Certified RSO, but it's not rapid if it's grouping where it's aimed).
    So, the combination of an RSO too smart to listen to me tell him what I was shooting plus this new no carry rule did not give me warm and fuzzies.

I'm done with them till management with some sense buys them out. Too bad though - 'cause the new concrete benches they poured are awesome.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
    Guns International

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I took two rifles today. I planned to zero optics I've been moving around. This was my first visit since their staffer had his catastrophic negligent discharge.

I paid, waited in the rifle line, told the guy rifle, not pistol three times before the younger staffer explained that my rifles were broken down in the bag I was carrying. I spend long enough to get my Papoose whole and as I'm preparing to break out the Sub 2000 the staff guy shows up at the lane he just gave me to inquire about the pistol on my hip. He explained that my options were to unload it and chamber flag it or remove it. I packed up and left after telling him and the staff goodbye forever.

I can't shoot at anything but bullseye's.
    I have to wait two beats after my shots are lined up to fire again (I am a NRA Certified RSO, but it's not rapid if it's grouping where it's aimed).
    So, the combination of an RSO too smart to listen to me tell him what I was shooting plus this new no carry rule did not give me warm and fuzzies.

I'm done with them till management with some sense buys them out. Too bad though - 'cause the new concrete benches they poured are awesome.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

Well, sorry, but I can't get on your side even a little bit. There's a reason they don't want loaded guns on the firing line.

If you think they should make exceptions for you for the pretty much UNIVERSAL rule at every gun range, take your crap and go home. I don't want to shoot on the same range with you.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, sorry, but I can't get on your side even a little bit. There's a reason they don't want loaded guns on the firing line.

If loaded weapons weren’t allowed on the firing line then no one could shoot...anything.

If you think they should make exceptions for you for the pretty much UNIVERSAL rule at every gun range, take your crap and go home. I don't want to shoot on the same range with you.

That rule isn’t as universal as you think.

In fact, having patrons handle their carry weapons creates a greater risk than just leaving it in the holster loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Pretty much every range I've ever been to does not allow loaded firearms off the firing line. Holstered or not.
    The exception is concealed carry. Concealed means concealed.
    Even then there have been some blowhard RSO's run their pieholes about no concealed weapons on "their range". Whatever.
    As silly as it is, in their defense, remember these places deal with rocket surgeons and brain scientists on a daily basis.
    Its amazing more folks aren't killed than there are.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The indoor range I go to occasionally, when the weather is bad, lets me carry while I shoot. I just can't shoot my carry gun. It stays holstered while I shoot other stuff. No problems.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    The indoor range I go to occasionally, when the weather is bad, lets me carry while I shoot. I just can't shoot my carry gun. It stays holstered while I shoot other stuff. No problems.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Indoor range. Let me guess. You clip your target to a wire and then send it downrange, nobody walking downrange to check or change targets?

Do you see a difference there?

And, as we will ALL see at the meet, all weapons must be clearly in an unready state of fire.....bolts open, whatever, whenever someone calls clear.

As much as it defines logic, a loaded weapon on your hip does not qualify as an unloaded weapon pointed downrange.

Last edited:

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    I hate indoor shooting ranges. I also don't like someone shooting next to me that I don't know. Same goes with outside ranges. That is why I shoot at the Pawnee National Grasslands. Nobody sets up near you and it's just a pleasure shooting there.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I hate indoor shooting ranges. I also don't like someone shooting next to me that I don't know. Same goes with outside ranges. That is why I shoot at the Pawnee National Grasslands. Nobody sets up near you and it's just a pleasure shooting there.

But where you live there are open public lands that allow you to do that.
    Down here in Texas we do not have that luxury. Everything is privately owned.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep. In Texas you have the luxury of buying land and shooting on it. Then you really don’t have to worry about anyone being next to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I think the OP makes a good point and a timely reminder, before you have a whole lot of $$ invested, buying a multiple range session package or a long term membership, learn and know what the rules are for that range.

Personally I don’t begrudge any shooting range their rules (whatever they may be). Just know what the rules are, then you can make an informed choice if you want to give them your business or not.

For the most part, range *owners* have given a great deal of thought to their operational rules. By their very nature these rules revolve around safety concerns. And why is that? Easy to answer; the range owner wants to try and stay in business!

Liability Insurance Rates. The rules reflect either direct mandates from the insurance carrier OR the Owner’s interpretation of actions he needs to take, to try and keep his insurance premiums at an affordable level. Put yourself in the range owner/operator’s shoes - what if running that range involved your own personal liability and profit/loss?

This becomes especially challenging if *your* range is open to the general public. Now you’re catering to everybody from the newest newbie (who has maybe never shot a gun before) to guys that are very safety conscious and have shot thousands of rounds. Where do you draw the line?

Last edited:

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Well, I'm less annoyed.

And, it's my fault. They've computerized the waiver since my last visit, so I'm sure I failed to read for changes/updates.

Top Bottom